What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters
:lol:
yeah we don't want anyone with links to the grass roots of the game.

Who do you want ? A non political, unbiased chairman that has no links with Newst LTD, ARL, NRL, NSWRL, QRL or any body currently within the Australian Rugby League network.

Is this your man ?

At the STorm, we hired a bloke from AFL who knew little about rugby league but was a top administrator. The result speaks for itself. 4 grandfinals in 4 years.
The type of chairman selected would depend on what the game's priorities and strategic directions are. I think unity, maximising tv deals and opportunities, mergers or expansions are immediate issues.

George Piggins is a grass roots man, where is he now?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Looking at these comments in the paper. I think even though he has great credentials, he might prove too divisive in the community to work.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/comments/0,23836,26175838-10389,00.html

The foxsports interview with Seale was very good. He said that a number of people having been sounded out and he didn't want to name anyone including Howard.

I know people hate hearing it, but Seale is a good opperator.

i notice the poll here is 71% in favour atm http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-to-overhaul-nrl/story-e6frexnr-1225783525932

Steve Mortimer was on radio this morning also saying he thought he'd be the right man for the job. Mortimer has for a long time been pushing for this kind of thing to be set up

Knightmare

Coach
Howard was someone unafraid to make decisions he thought were best for the long-term, even if they were unpopular at the time. As mentioned by others, he has decades of experience in the political arena. Heck, the man ran Australia for 11 years and did a reasonable job of it (how reasonable depends on who you ask). I'm sure he could run the game for x amount of years, plus he comes free of the NSW/ Qld or ARL/ Sewerleague baggage.

_Johnsy

Referee
George Piggins is a grass roots man, where is he now?

Probably looking after his many business interests, Piggins is a self made milionaire. I'd suggest he'd know a thing or two about running a board that has rugby leagues best interests at heart. I hate souths, however no-one can deny Piggins only has the games best interest at heart.

_Johnsy

Referee
At the STorm, we hired a bloke from AFL who knew little about rugby league but was a top administrator. The result speaks for itself. 4 grandfinals in 4 years.

I imagine that any club owned by News Ltd, situated in a one town team with a population of more than 3.8 million & subsidised to the tune of $6,000,000 to $8,000,000 per year should be a success.

user_nat

Coach
I imagine that any club owned by News Ltd, situated in a one town team with a population of more than 3.8 million & subsidised to the tune of $6,000,000 to $8,000,000 per year should be a success.

Why would any of that stuff make the team perform better on the field?

_Johnsy

Referee
Why would any of that stuff make the team perform better on the field?

It wouldn't, however it certainly make administering the club a tad easier. Owned by a company with almost unlimited resources and numerous subsidiary companies. Well run front office, many many resources, as Jack Gibson said, you get the front office right and success follows.

Getting off topic though.

ona2001

Juniors
The arguments against Howard are pretty much...."I hate him" from ALP voters. That's always going to be a lot of people. It's no coincidence that rabid ALP voters have hated every Liberal PM, it doesn't matter who it is.
Put the bias to one side and history will tell you that Howard was one of the most successful politicians in Australia's history. It's a tough game and he did very well at it.
I'm sure he'd do a good job heading the commission.
I hate Billy Slater but I know he'd do a great job in the #1 jersey at my club and that's all that matters, getting the job done.

I'll agree with that. I never liked Howard or his policies while he was in politics and never voted for him but he has the business acumen, profile and contacts across the globe to be very influential on behalf of the game. How many candidates that are firstly unaligned have the potential to get the same kind of funding or exposure overseas for RL?

Whoever serves. they must have the toughness and skill to lead the negotiations with News and Nine in 2011 to secure a TV rights deal that reflects the game's worth. Everything revolves around that.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/10/07/2707276.htm?site=news

League greats split over Howard reports

Three Australian rugby league greats have weighed into reports that former prime minister John Howard may be drafted to head an independent commission to run the NRL.

Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga says Mr Howard has the right skills for the job.

"He has managed the country before so I think rugby league might be a bit of a step down for him," he said.

But former great Wally Lewis is not as confident, saying whoever is chosen will have their work cut out for them.

"Half of the people on the sidelines are going to see it as the wrong move," he said.

Former international and Queensland legend Arthur Beetson also has his doubts.

"Does he really know a lot about rugby league?"

News Limited newspapers are reporting Mr Howard has been contacted by Gold Coast Titans chief executive Michael Searle, and asked to be chairman of an independent commission to run the NRL.

But Mr Searle will not confirm the reports.

Federal Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull says Mr Howard has much to offer and would do well at a role with the NRL.

"He is a man of enormous ability. He is full of energy. I talk to him regularly. He's a really good constructive supporter and friend," he said.

"Whatever he turns his mind to I've got no doubt he'd do well."

Mr Howard is yet to comment on the reports.

Fui!!!

Juniors
I would love for Howard to get the job. He gave us a huge surplus as PM. No better man for the job except maybe me.

Jono1987

Juniors
A few points;

- I would assume Howard is still well respected in the business community. So if he were to Chair the Independent Commission you would think his name alone would attract sponsors and big money.

- If Howard was selected it would generate immediate national-wide headlines for a game which is certainly not on a national basis.

- Howard's connections in politics and the business community would surely reap benefits for our game at numerous levels and for numerous reasons.

My only concern's centre around his age and whether or not he would relinquish the role when the time was right. Otherwise I believe it would be an astute move to instill him as the inaugural chairman.

Fui!!!

Juniors
Looking at your posts, you must really love John Howard. He isn't the worst option, but not far off. We need someone with a national identity like Howard, but a unifying figure rather than divisive one. That and he is definately too old. How old will he be in 2013 when he takes the position? 75? How long can he reasonably do his job at that age?

Do you know anything about the financial industry? The Australian banks aren't "going sh*thouse". eg, Commonwealth shares are just under $50 (from low of $28 in January, God I wish I bought more)!

Have you ever met a bank executive? Australians big four banks are rated in the top 10 banks in the world at the moment, due to the fact they are well regulated and have excellent management. Part of the reason the recession hasn't hit so hard here, along with stimulus spending and the resource sector doing okay due to China.

On Salary, what do you think Howard will ask for when he is currently getting $100,000 for one hour speaches in America? He would parady a bank executive in terms of salary.

Not much, he gets a HUGE pension as do all former PM's.

Raider_69

Post Whore
this thread is a perfect example of why our code is where it is, instead of its rightful place atop the Australian sporting world

far too many people in the game from the very top of the governing bodies, to the very bottom - the fans, who are more concerned about politics, personal vendettas and power than they are about getting the right results.

If anyone can explain to me, without sighting his political views why John Howard, a man with EIONS of experience brokering deals, dealing with corperate world, delivering surpluses. I mean this is a guy who has dealt with fragile negotiations on a world level. I'd bet my last cent he'd get us a FTA deal worthy of our code. But no, he's not wanted because of things he did as PM of Australia

His political view bare absolutely NO impact on his abilities to perform the role as a sporting codes Commissioner. As an example, I dont like Michael Searle and i certainly dont like Kevin Rudd, but i am able to put my personal opinions on them aside and would happily accept either in this role because regardless of what i think of their politics or their general demeanour, i know both have the skills to do the job as a very high level.
So too does John Howard. This code would be lucky to have him.

I can just see his first speech now
"My fellow rugby rugby league supporters" haha
Just don't give him a footy to take if he goes overseas to visit the troops, the cricket incident was enough lol

_Johnsy

Referee
The thing I really like about the talk this is generating, is that in not such a long time people will consider it a Fete de compli. Then it will follow.

Perth Red

Post Whore
will he take the same view of overseas players as he did of boat people? If so Nauru will have to be odds on for a new franchise!

Brutus

Referee
Now, with the game at the crossroads ahead of crucial upcoming TV rights negotiations and ambitious expansion plans into the Central Coast and southeast Queensland, they want a commission to unify the code.

Ambitious? Central Coast & south-east QLD??:lol: