What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL commission as News Ltd plans to exit game

Should John Howard chair the NRL commission?

• Total voters

Brutus

Referee
Rugby League has enough problems without picking a RACIST as chairman!!!

Yet there's many who believe it could well benefit from having the second longest serving PM in Australian history running the show.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
I hate John Howard with a passion but my personal agenda can take a back seat for the good of the game.

If he is in a position to help grow the game I would support it.

Just don't call me a "Howard Battler" and we'll be sweet.

Fein

First Grade
I hate John Howard with a passion but my personal agenda can take a back seat for the good of the game.

If he is in a position to help grow the game I would support it.

Just don't call me a "Howard Battler" and we'll be sweet.

:lol::lol:

The big question though, is can he?

What can he offer Rugby League?

Can he preside over the charter of the commission, whatever that may be when and if it comes to fruition?

I say he can't due to the fact his own colleagues in the liberal party poured a bucket of cold piss on him once he was unceremoniously outed as a sitting PM for only the second time in the nation's history.

That alone should be enough to make people sit up and be concerned that his name is even mentioned as a candidate.

Raider_69

Post Whore
sometimes i wonder if the people who love our game would rather see it relegated to the back streets of sydney suburbs, rather than being the undisputed #1 australian sport. It seems to be me that we all love our clubs and are fans of our clubs, but when i read threads like this i wonder how many people genuinely love Rugby League.

Flapper

First Grade
I hate the bloke's politics, but I think he'll be an excellent choice. He obviously has connections up the high end of town, the media exposure will be great, and he won't be a News lackey like Galoop. So he got the arse from Bennelong? Rightly so! But this isn't politics, this is business, and Howard has sat through tougher negotiations than the TV rights deals. Although in saying that it is like politics: He'll know the value of targeted advertising, of media exposure, of spreading the message this great game coast to coast. That's what politics teaches you.

This obviously won't be until he drops dead, so if he gets us on the right path, gets some blue chip sponsors and e kick arse TV deal, that's great. Then Michael Searle can come in if he chooses and do it for 20 years.

Reading the Telegraph comments though just depressed me, as it normally does. A bunch of dimwitted imbeciles talking in all capitals not having a clue about the state the game's executive is in.

Whilst I hated him as PM / hate Liberals... I think he'd do well.

The biggest area he could really deliver for the game would be negotiating the next TV deal.

Flapper

First Grade
The ninemsn polll is interesting.

Should John Howard take a job with the NRL?
Yes - 23958
No - 26941

Because the general public are f**king stupid

"LOL OMG I'M FOLLOWING AFL OF THIS HAPPENS" (probably follow AFL right now)
"LOL HE'LL BRING IN WORKCHOICES LOL"
"LOL HE'LL SEND LEAGUE BACK TO THE 50s"

Anyone who honestly believes this should be shot.

Brutus

Referee
Only the second ever!!!!!

Bitter much during his time in the job?:lol:

11 long years.

Keating couldn't bare it. He only re-surfaced in the media when Howard finally got the punt.

That 96 election was an absolute classic. :lol::lol: