What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rule

getsmarty

Immortal
Josh Kerr facing suspension for 1-2 weeks, the rest free to play.
Kerr needs the rest anyway, he’s been poor. Shame, I had high hopes for him this season.

NRL making a rod for their own backs....Fans will not put up with this....I usually watch most games....not anymore....the bunker/Refs/Nrl are ruining the game....

They need to remember...No Fans = No Game...

Ghostrider22

Juniors
News limited, didn't like all the send offs last week..... So this week the referees.
& the bunker..... Don't send off, blatant head high tackles....
Murdoch's trying to ruin our game... He's already said he thinks
AFL, is the number one game in Australia. The orchestration of the game, by the referee's & the bucket, is killing our game.
TBH with you, he ruined the game with f**king super league what a dud. Now as you see all the affiliated news limited teams have no problems, purple cheats and the shit from the shire plus Cummins reffing just plain bias.

And no one f**ks with Uncle Nick he is the massive power broker, he speaks and they all jump as everyone has seen with their coach challenge the rules to suit their needs as you seen with Victor.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragons girl

Juniors
The high shot on Cody Ramsey was deliberate. If we got a quick play-the-ball, we most likely score. I'll even go as far to say it was an old-fashioned haymaker designed to put Ramsey out of the game.

The 'tackler', Marwene Hiroti looked like a man going to the gallows when the ref called him over. When he got only 10 minutes in the bin, he actually looked relieved and cracked a smile.

Ramsey on the other hand was concussed and took no further part in the match.

Even without the current crackdown, Hiroti might have been sent off. How he was allowed back on the field last night beggars belief.

It'll be interesting to see how the judiciary handle this. In the last two matches we've lost our best two attacking backs to illegal tackles.
Games is now becoming a joke 6 again rule has lead to more tired forwards more accidental head shots.eg Tedesco falls into tackles.The hit on Ramsey was intentional and offending player gets 10 in the bin only absolute joke.Hook summed it up its confusing last week that tackle on Ramsey was a send off tonight only a sin bin.Players diving and being coached to stay down has/will creep into the game let's be honest who wants to see that

draco

Juniors
Games is now becoming a joke
Game has become a complete joke.

If the NRL was my computer modem I would be rebooting it TODAY.

Namely:-

Get rid of the 6 again rule (not being policed consistently/fairly and seemingly open to abuse by interpretation).

Go back to penalties. Don't care how many they blow up in a game. I feel that they, the penalties, would reduce over time.

Why does the game need to quicken up anyway? I liked it how it was...

It shits me to hear the ref barking at defenders "Andrew....Andrew...get off...NOW...MOOOVE" even when the tackle has only just taken place. FMD. Hate it. Again ref's discretion here.

No more quick restarts. How come a ref will say "No, I haven't given you the mark yet" but if he is the mood will just allow play to continue.

I feel the way the game is constantly being evolved by the NRL through rule changes to supposedly produce a better product, is slowly killing it. Well, for me anyway...

They (NRL) are quickly painting themselves into a very small corner.

Players already grab at the back of their neck searching for a penalty for a crusher tackle and they will start going down after a misplaced accidental slap to he head in the hope for positive intervention by the bunker. Can't see the officials being able to stop it.

The way things are going, teams are soon "gunna need a bigger roster"...

This is just off the top of my head. Probably heaps more if I thought more deeply. Don't want to. Hurts too much.

Have never supported any other club but the Red V. Me and 2 of my sons are "faithful members". We all feel the same way and are ready to walk away from the game we once loved.

My boys didn't even bother to watch the game last night. I did, but was royally pissed off enough to go to the forum today.

Possibly many of you on here have similar thoughts. Feel free to agree/disagree or add your own grievances.

Anyway, its over to you PVL...

TruSaint

Referee

Get rid of the 6 again rule (not being policed consistently/fairly and seemingly open to abuse by interpretation).

Go back to penalties. Don't care how many they blow up in a game. I feel that they, the penalties, would reduce over time.

It shits me to hear the ref barking at defenders "Andrew....Andrew...get off...NOW...MOOOVE" even when the tackle has only just taken place. FMD. Hate it. Again ref's discretion here.

No more quick restarts. How come a ref will say "No, I haven't given you the mark yet" but if he is the mood will just allow play to continue.

I feel the way the game is constantly being evolved by the NRL through rule changes to supposedly produce a better product, is slowly killing it. Well, for me anyway...

Players already grab at the back of their neck searching for a penalty for a crusher tackle and they will start going down after a misplaced accidental slap to he head in the hope for positive intervention by the bunker. Can't see the officials being able to stop it.

This is just off the top of my head. Probably heaps more if I thought more deeply. Don't want to. Hurts too much.

Have never supported any other club but the Red V. Me and 2 of my sons are "faithful members". We all feel the same way and are ready to walk away from the game we once loved.

My boys didn't even bother to watch the game last night. I did, but was royally pissed off enough to go to the forum today.

Possibly many of you on here have similar thoughts. Feel free to agree/disagree or add your own grievances.

Can't argue with you mate.

Ricky Stuart said it best " RL isn't for everyone".

PVL and co. are trying to create a game to appease the masses yet alienate its core base.

Im willing to bet that we will see once again, a second standard for SOO. You know, the game that means SFA to me as a Saints fan, but is globally promoted as the most brutal contact team sport anywhere.

Nanadragon

Juniors

I feel your pain Draco. I am also feeling very let down by these changes to 'our' game and hate the special treatment some clubs get. I wasn't looking forward to watching last night but I did and I must say I was pleased with their efforts, except Norman of course.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd like the games played even-steven when everything was fair and equal and the referees and other officials kept to themselves and blue the whistle and kept their mouths shut.

If you go back 20 years then onwards to 2019 the games were generally fantastic to watch when teams would not give an inch and the games played fairly. OK there were the misdemeanors from time to time but penalties/sin bins/ send offs were much more straight forward.

We can all see that from 2020 to 2021 and whatever else might be brought in in future years that the way things are going will be turning people away from the sport rather than bringing more viewers to watch TV coverage and more spectators at the grounds.

The Dragons to me seem to be the club that has always copped it bad when rules are in place. It is like we are the ones that the NRL want to use as an example and our bigwigs let it happen without a whimper. Our players will not be liking this as they would be feeling that they don't get a fair deal when they play so would be glad not to play for us and that applies to possible new recruits who can see how we are being treated.

It's just not fair!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There has to be some guidelines between 'accidental' & 'deliberate' thats all, nothing more, nothing less.

Accidental - penalty suffice, no further action required. Eg: players falling in tackles or first contact below the neck.

Deliberate - (depending on the severity), 10 mins or send off. Eg: swinging arm aimed at the head or coat hangers or deliberate foul play (other than high shot) etc.

Another issue is the 'crusher' tackle. Some are just unavoidable and players are now 'looking' to get a penalty for any pressure on the neck. Players twist backwards is it accidental or deliberate, thats the question. I saw when Vaughan crusher was awarded a penalty, fair enough, however, in another game, same amount of so called pressure, there was a penalty and the plater got 10 mins.

One other issue is 'repeated' offenses, like today with Radley. 2x in the sin-bin and 3x on report (all for high tackles I believe). He should have been marched for the second one.

Consistantly being inconsistant will drive more frustration and bewilderment amongst players, coaches and supporters, and if it's not enforced in SOO or Finals games then it's a farce.

Litmus test 1 is fast approaching.

rasaint

Juniors
Well well well. Who would have guested that the ‘new rules’ would only have lasted 5 days. Already reckless head shots are now grade 2 careless ar hahahahaha. The Judiciary review chocolate wheel spin certainly appears to have changed. Not saying it won’t be spun harder next week. Who knows? Footy commentators now seem to be talking down high hits on players this week ( like our two low profile players who were KOed HIA and bloodied ). Much confusion and seeming contradiction. Who thought this could happen?

This rule about contact with the head is a joke.
This is not rugby league.
It's getting softer by every game.
Most of the sin bins wouldn't have bruised a tomato.
It will.turn fans turn off
games
I don't want to watch touch football.
It's not a free for all, there is no new rule, it's a stricter enforcement of the present laws, which I've been calling for for years. The 2005 GF was not touch football as Tallis called it the other day on Matty "headache" Johns' silly show.

Do you think you were born 2000 years too late?

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors

Scrapped 6again.(penalty)
HIA assessment, responsible player goes to bin 5mins.
If HIA,
determines player can't return, Bined player doesn't return
To field... Stay off the field , for duration of game. "To easy"

getsmarty

Immortal
aughanp-210521_gt__2021521201448.jpg

DRAGONS

'They're just tired': Hunt's theory on high shots
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 22 May 2021, 05:29 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt believes fatigue is responsible for the spate of high shots that has seen seven judiciary charges against the Dragons in two weeks.

On top of the judiciary woes, the Dragons also had three players ruled out with HIAs during Friday night’s 13-12 loss to Cronulla.

Josh Kerr is set to join suspended trio Josh McGuire, Tyrell Faimaono and Mikaele Ravalawa on the sideline for next Friday night’s clash with Wests Tigers after being charged over a shoulder charge on Sharks prop Aiden Tolman, while Paul Vaughan faces a fine for a high tackle.

Tariq Sims also missed the game against Cronulla while serving a one-match suspension and McGuire received a fine for another charge arising from last weekend’s loss to Melbourne.

Hunt, who has previously raised concerns about the impact of new rules introduced in the last 12 months, said forwards were tiring from defending repeat sets and this was leading to mistimed tackles.

remote.axd

Griffin cites 'confusion' around high contact rulings

Griffin cites 'confusion' around high contact rulings

"You get to tackle three or four and then there is another six again, and then a drop out or something like that," Hunt said.

"You're defending for long periods of time. If you're in a cycle for 10 or 12 minutes and the ball just stays in play, that's where the big boys are pretty tired."

"You can say it's lazy or whatnot, but they are just tired and doing their best to make the tackle and I think that’s why we are seeing more high shots."

NRL head of football Graham Annesley released statistics on Thursday saying they showed players were no more fatigued than they had been two years ago before the rule changes.

However, Hunt agrees with Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson's view that players are more fatigued during sets as they are defending for longer than across the length of a match.

"It's definitely in waves," Hunt said. "The guys who are making the high shots and are fatigued have only played 40 minutes or something like that.

“They’re the big boys that only play 40 minutes every week so they're even more fatigued for the period that they're out there.”

Hunt praised the Dragons for the way they coped with the adversity thrown at them against the Sharks, with fullback Cody Ramsey, winger Max Feagai and prop Jaiyden Hunt all failing HIAs.

Teenage playmaker Talatau Amone started the match in the centres and moved to the wing, while five-eighth Cory Norman played the second half at fullback.

Vaughan even found himself in the centres at one stage as Billy Burns also had to undergo a HIA test.

"I think we have shown a few times this year that we are a pretty brave group and work really hard but we just keep making it hard for ourselves," Hunt said.

"We’re a bit low on troops and there's some young fellows that came in and tried really hard and when guys are making their debut you really want to play well for them and get a win for them.

"We fought really hard and that's what makes it even harder, when you come really close to just miss it.

"If we got that over the line it would have been a magnificent win and we do have to take some positives out of it. When you have guys come in that stand up it is good for the club in the future."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/24/theyre-just-tired-hunts-theory-on-high-shots/

Dragon David

First Grade
Trent Robinson stating that the new rules should be relaxed when the SOO games are played otherwise it will turn spectators off and will have a bearing on the way the game should be played. Funny that, he and Uncle Nick wanted something done after Drew Hutchison got injured and after that the new rules came in heavy during the tragic round and we copped the worst of the penalties.

Hook said after the treatment we copped that he hoped that there was consistency of applying the new rules particularly when the SOO series was on.

Anyway, of course out of what Trent has said, the refs will turn a blind eye to head highs except that if the player or players are from St George Illawarra, if of course any one was selected for SOO, and does a head high, off you go!!

Sorry for being so cynical but when rules are made like, you cannot go through a red light, you shouldn't change them as the kids who will be watching will notice and wonder what the hell!!!

thebigredv

First Grade
As expected the sin bins have dried up. Definitely has had a desired effect as players seem to be hitting lower. That's part of it.

However, each game this week I have seen contact directly or indirectly with the head which would have copped a sin bin and a suspension, but this has been missed by the ref/video ref.

Unless my eyes were deceived, Vaughan was whacked near the line last night going close to score. Let's not forget he himself got a sin bin for brushing Chambers nose last week. Brooks hit one of our forwards with a shoulder plain for all to see. Just two examples. Sure it went both ways.

So in conclusion, the consistency in rulings that our coach called for is not there. Instead the league will now probably turn their crackdown to knee lifts and ban Sims for another 8 weeks. Predictable.

Latest posts