What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rules good or bad for the Dragons?

Lucky for us there wasn’t a rule change to make the field 98 metres and try’s from kicks only worth 3 points as Mary would have been awarded “imposter” Coach of the year.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have only now delved into ALL of the rule changes and I must say that , imho they are completely unnecessary . I go along with the field goal as I feel that there will be less golden points as a result .

However the others have me somewhat concerned - particularly the ball or player with the ball over the sideline . Exactly what does this mean - if a player is tackled and put over the sideline another play the ball ensues ?

To my way of thinking these new changes - as the changes in the past few seasons are to go some way to negate the defensive state of the game as it is now days . Rugby league was once an appealing game to watch , yes there was always good defense but it was on par with good attack .

That is until these coaches appeared on the scene with their regime of ‘ absolute stop the oppositions attack at all cost ‘ wrestling , chicken wings and throw the kitchen sink at them if one is handy approach .

The simple answer to make rugby league a more enjoyable sport to watch and to get more posteriors on the seat , would be to outlaw those tactics once and for all from our game .

If the NRL thinks that they are improving the game by constantly introducing new rules then they are kidding themselves , as the game is beginning to become a pale imitation of what it once was .

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
I’m so so on them.
Less scrums means less chances of attacking plays from them. It’ll just be a hit up from a prop or winger.
The play the ball turnover is a strange one.
I can see the refs going overboard on this, whereas in the past they were reluctant to penalise for fear of costing a team the game.
Now that it’s just a handover I reckon we’ll see the usual suspects, Fifita, JWH, Asofa, TP jnr, etc hammered.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
And the real test will be how the referees interpret and apply these new rules.

They were inconsistent in applying the 6 again rule throughout the complete game - they seem to have stages during the game when they remember the rule exist, and at other times they seem to forget about it.

Last edited:

George Sancti

Juniors
The NRL has introduced 8 new rules for the 2021 season:

The changes are:

• the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out;
  • six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements;
  • penalties for teams if they leave a scrum before a referee calls "break";
  • a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline;
  • The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light;
  • injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped;
  • when a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt;
  • and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot.
Speed of the game has become the new mantra.
For us, agility, speed and nouse are the key elements. No more lazy lumps. Fitness to endure a whole season will test many teams, especially those top heavy.

Your thoughts?

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/12/11/nrl-announces-eight-rule-changes/

I believe the rule changes will favour teams which are well conditioned and are biased towards speed and endurance as opposed to size and power. They may actually benefit our current roster.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I have only now delved into ALL of the rule changes and I must say that , imho they are completely unnecessary . I go along with the field goal as I feel that there will be less golden points as a result .

However the others have me somewhat concerned - particularly the ball or player with the ball over the sideline . Exactly what does this mean - if a player is tackled and put over the sideline another play the ball ensues ?

To my way of thinking these new changes - as the changes in the past few seasons is to go some way to negate the defensive state of the game as it is now days . Rugby league was once an appealing game to watch , yes there was always good defense but it was on par with good attack .

That is until these coaches appeared on the scene with their regime of ‘ absolute stop the oppositions attack at all cost ‘ wrestling , chicken wings and throw the kitchen sink at them if one is handy approach .

The simple answer to make rugby league a more enjoyable sport to watch and to get more posteriors on the seat , would be to outlaw those tactics once and for all from our game .

If the NRL thinks that they are improving the game by constantly introducing new rules then they are kidding themselves , as the game is beginning to become a pale imitation of what it once was .
Agree Gareth, particularly your third paragraph. I loved the defensive side of the game and don’t agree with the manta that we just want to see tries only; it’s too much like touch football for my taste now. If they want to stop the wrestling and crap slow the game down not speed it up. Tries should be hard earned not 48 - 38 score lines. To me that’s boring!

Gareth67

First Grade

need the super player, kicker to evolve :)

He was certainly a great goal kicker Bluey and also prolific at those field goals . I recall him and the Dragons Dennis Preston going neck and neck for for ‘ most points scored ‘ during the year back in the sixties with Eric Simms pulling away in the final rounds of the competition .

Another aspect of the game that I miss are the kicking duels that were so frequent in those days , a great highlight of the game . To see 24 players on the field stop in their tracks to watch the ball soaring over their heads until one of the fullbacks manage to backpedal his opposite and then the game would suddenly start again .

Now if the NRL could get that going once again then there would be action and attack aplenty .

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Rule Changes, as listed from Dragonslayers, post.

• the introduction of a two-point field goal for kicks taken from more than 40 metres out six-again to be called for 10-metre infringements;
  • The game is about scoring, its not rugby ........ Not a fan of this rule.
  • penalties for teams if they leave a scrum before a referee calls "break";
  • Just another opportunity for the ref to make a game changing decision .....Not a fan of this rule.
  • a play-the-ball restart if the ball or player with the ball goes over the sideline; ............. ok

• The Bunker will now review replays after an on-field referee awards a try but a conversion attempt will not be allowed until it gets the green light;...................ok
  • injured players will be interchanged if a trainer ask for play to be stopped;.........ok
  • when a captain's challenge is inconclusive a team will not be docked for an unsuccessful attempt;
  • Another dumb rule .......... Melbourne / Smith, will call for everything, to slow play.
  • and a handover will be ordered when a player does not make a genuine attempt to play the ball correctly with their foot.........ok.
  • 1. Not a fan either, still wont stop the fieldgoalathon if that is what they are trying to achieve near end of games and in golden point..too risky often to have a shot more than 40 out especially with the 7th tackle thing
  • 2. Ok..hopefully it is the touch judge's call to get them to do something, stop the 1 ref whingeing about too much too keep up with.:rolleyes:
  • 3. Why are refs coaching, say nothing...just penalise them, it is a rule
  • 4. Ok..so when do we have a scrum again?. What happened about Vlandys wanting to make forwards having to pack scrums as a rule again?..even if it is a wasted exercise or didnt the coaches and players want that!
  • 5. Whats the difference?..does nothing...except we dont see the ref draw a TV?. Doesit mean every try will now be reviewed?.
  • 6. Wont stop em when the game is on the line with 10 to go slowing it down via this method and faking injury then make it about the head..they will happily interchange a nuffie or 2 as most have a couple up their sleeve near the end of games anyway.
  • 7. Get rid of the captains challenge
  • 8. Why make it a handover,.it was a penalty since 1908? and while they are at it, what about the rules about getting up to play it on your feet and not using the ball on ground as leverage to get up that they cracked down on a few years ago!
Just feel as per usual it is papering over cracks. just want refs to take full control of the game back from the media, coaches and the players and take no shit...but they just wont do it

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He was certainly a great goal kicker Bluey and also prolific at those field goals . I recall him and the Dragons Dennis Preston going neck and neck for for ‘ most points scored ‘ during the year back in the sixties with Eric Simms pulling away in the final rounds of the competition .

Another aspect of the game that I miss are the kicking duels that were so frequent in those days , a great highlight of the game . To see 24 players on the field stop in their tracks to watch the ball soaring over their heads until one of the fullbacks manage to backpedal his opposite and then the game would suddenly start again .

Now if the NRL could get that going once again then there would be action and attack aplenty .
Yes, I remember that the kicking duel reignited later in the 1979 Grand Final, great stuff!

Coffs dragon

Bench
There’s been so many rule changes over the year’s, that it bares no resemblance to the game I loved & followed as a kid.
I understand some tweaking is necessary, but it really hasn’t improved the game, just creates more positions for panels, committees, referees, bunker bullshit, match reviewers, advisors, mind gurus et. etc.

Is it any wonder the game is broke, with the levels of administration running the game that are self obsessed with changing the rules every friggin year.

Back to the future & bring back the biff!

BLM01

First Grade
Too late @possm
I am already surprised you said that.
Goal kicking. Yes i can understand...but .why Lomax dropping back for long range kicking.
How many centres in the game do you see doing the long range kicking.?. They are out of position for a start!
Dont reckon that will happen and why should they choose him?
Its a halves, hooker and maybe fullback's job.
We have enough halves and young ones coming through to work with to get this right.

possm

Coach
There’s been so many rule changes over the year’s, that it bares no resemblance to the game I loved & followed as a kid.
I understand some tweaking is necessary, but it really hasn’t improved the game, just creates more positions for panels, committees, referees, bunker bullshit, match reviewers, advisors, mind gurus et. etc.

Is it any wonder the game is broke, with the levels of administration running the game that are self obsessed with changing the rules every friggin year.

Back to the future & bring back the biff!
Just think back to what it was like for fans when the game of rugby league for formed out of the traditional game of rugby. The fans in those days must have been besides themselves.