What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rules good or bad for the Dragons?

possm

Coach
Too late @possm
I am already surprised you said that.
Goal kicking. Yes i can understand...but .why Lomax dropping back for long range kicking.
How many centres in the game do you see doing the long range kicking.?. They are out of position for a start!
Dont reckon that will happen and why should they choose him?
Its a halves, hooker and maybe fullback's job.
We have enough halves and young ones coming through to work with to get this right.
If the plan is for Lomax to take a long range field goal, he would not be out of position because the Saints weuld at that point be the attacking side and the move would be planned.

The idea is sound because if the centre or fullback taking the field goal kick, would have more time to take this kick and as a result be more accurate. Soward used to stand deeper to do the same. Lomax would stand deeper and possibly wider from the ruck.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Just think back to what it was like for fans when the game of rugby league for formed out of the traditional game of rugby. The fans in those days must have been besides themselves.
Possm, I just preferred the era of the 70’s to 80’s when only forwards stuck their heads in a scrum. Where wingers were finishers & not battering rams out of dummy half, where centre’s played together on both sides of the field and the halves played all over the field in tandem together & not just left or right. IMO too many changes have f.cked the game and it’s been manipulated by coaches.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Possm, I just preferred the era of the 70’s to 80’s when only forwards stuck their heads in a scrum. Where wingers were finishers & not battering rams out of dummy half, where centre’s played together on both sides of the field and the halves played all over the field in tandem together & not just left or right. IMO too many changes have f.cked the game and then simply manipulated by coaches.

That is it in a nutshell Coffs .

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Possm, I just preferred the era of the 70’s to 80’s when only forwards stuck their heads in a scrum. Where wingers were finishers & not battering rams out of dummy half, where centre’s played together on both sides of the field and the halves played all over the field in tandem together & not just left or right. IMO too many changes have f.cked the game and then simply manipulated by coaches.
...and you didn’t need the equivalent of a CSI crime forensic investigation team to decide on whether it was a try or not. Much simpler.

redv13

Bench
So true Inisai !
And whilst I’m at it, please somebody get rid of golden point & go back to a draw. Finals can play extra time to get a result & failing that (then golden panic point)
Agree! There is nothing wrong with an 80 min draw, 1 pt each. That also keeps the ladder alive longer by having some teams on odd points and still a chance with 4 weeks to go

TruSaint

Referee
Agree! There is nothing wrong with an 80 min draw, 1 pt each. That also keeps the ladder alive longer by having some teams on odd points and still a chance with 4 weeks to go

Yep, I would go back to 1 point for a hard fought 80 minutes.

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Juniors
An unlikely 2 point FG isn’t the worst in the respect that’s it’s another o-Tien in close matches... as long as it doesn’t turn into aerial ping pong

blacksafake

First Grade
Possm, I just preferred the era of the 70’s to 80’s when only forwards stuck their heads in a scrum. Where wingers were finishers & not battering rams out of dummy half, where centre’s played together on both sides of the field and the halves played all over the field in tandem together & not just left or right. IMO too many changes have f.cked the game and it’s been manipulated by coaches.
Agree CD.
And a knock back was play on. Now every time a ball is dropped, even if off the shoulder & it goes backwards it’s called a knock on. It’s bloody league not touch.:rage:

rasaint

Juniors
Maybe I’m a wet blanket but Rugby League seems to be morphing into a sort of oz tag comp. Refs
will probably go nuts calling 6 agains for all sorts of discretions. This is to ‘speed up’ the game. Getting rid of scrums but saying they are an integral part of the game.

keeping the crappy golden point after two sides battle it out for an honourable draw at the end of 80 minutes but then one team is first to kick a field goal. Ho hum. Apparently ‘all the fans’ want a result to the game. Most people I speak to think that a draw with one table point each team better reflects the season.

I need to chill out. Go dragons and hope we buy strong Velcro for our players shorts.

possm

Coach
An unlikely 2 point FG isn’t the worst in the respect that’s it’s another o-Tien in close matches... as long as it doesn’t turn into aerial ping pong
If Soward is successful in coaching the halves and maybe Lomax to kick accurately in general play we may have an advantage that was missing in the past few years. I'd say long kicks to the corners and long kicks for field goals would add to our attacking game.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
one rule they should change is to bring back the draw forget what the tv people want i hate that extra ten minutes of no off side and kick kick kick
Agree, and I feel like it is such an injustice to the side that loses. It’s like playing 2 different games; well, for 80 minutes we’re playing one game and for the remaining 10 we’ll now play something else. I always felt that the Cowboys title was tarnished somewhat because of their golden point win. It also has huge impact on the final make up of the ladder. The reason it appeared to be put in the first place was just because some leading voices at the time were lobbing for it after a drawn SOO series, so it got changed. Don’t believe such significant ‘rule changes’ should be allowed to be so fluid.

Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
one rule they should change is to bring back the draw forget what the tv people want i hate that extra ten minutes of no off side and kick kick kick

Yoour right, jak.
Bulldogs vs Dragons in extra time.
Its was pretty boring but this kick got the result.

1000x-1.jpg

possm

Coach
Agree, and I feel like it is such an injustice to the side that loses. It’s like playing 2 different games; well, for 80 minutes we’re playing one game and for the remaining 10 we play something else. I always felt that the Cowboys title was tarnished somewhat because of their golden point win. It also has huge impact on the final make up of the ladder. The reason it appeared to be put in the first place was just because some leading voices at the time were lobbing for it after a drawn SOO series, so it got changed. Don’t believe such significant ‘rule changes’ should be allowed to be so fluid.
Still am in favour of a golden try rather than a golden point.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If GP is the necessity of the NRL then for me the fairest way is to give each team a point at full-time ie: 1-1
Then teams play xtra time for the additional point ie if team A scores a fg or try or penalty then they get 2 competition points, the other team gets 1.
If its still a draw after full-time of xtra time then the net result is the same as now 1-1.
In fact this way would increase the opportunity for teams to take a 2 point fg during normal time.

T-Boon

Coach
I like golden point but it should be similar to extra time in American football. Each team should get a set of six tackles from the opposition 20m line.