What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New rules good or bad for the Dragons?

BLM01

First Grade
If GP is the necessity of the NRL then for me the fairest way is to give each team a point at full-time ie: 1-1
Then teams play xtra time for the additional point ie if team A scores a fg or try or penalty then they get 2 competition points, the other team gets 1.
If its still a draw after full-time of xtra time then the net result is the same as now 1-1.
In fact this way would increase the opportunity for teams to take a 2 point fg during normal time.

You cant do that..it is not fair. So your scenario 2 teams end up playing for 3 points in that game. What happens if there is a draw after GP..then they only go back ang get 2 points?
And other games that dont have golden point play for 2 points
You cant have more competition points on offer in 1 game to the next.
Just ditch GP and make it 1 point each at F/T
People are hell bent on complicating systems for so called perceived fan entertainment

BLM01

First Grade
I like golden point but it should be similar to extra time in American football. Each team should get a set of six tackles from the opposition 20m line.
No..please no more Americanisms in our games.
We have already got our next generation coaches and commentators using enough American sport cliches.
(e.g. "Red zone, comfort zone, "D", good ball area, yardage" and many more filtering in)

T-Boon

Coach
We have already got our next generation coaches and commentators using enough American sport cliches.
(e.g. "Red zone, comfort zone, "D", good ball area, yardage" and many more filtering in)

Thats good.
Sports fans love American football not so much Rugby Union.

possm

Coach
na na , scrums are banned, its just 6 again :D
Seeing that scrums are no longer contested, I'd like to see scrums only awarded in the circumstances where a player carrying the ball runs into touch or is forced over the touch line. For all other circumstances e.g. knock on, forward pass, kicks for touch etc., there should be a change of possession or six again.

denis preston

First Grade
Agree, and I feel like it is such an injustice to the side that loses. It’s like playing 2 different games; well, for 80 minutes we’re playing one game and for the remaining 10 we’ll now play something else. I always felt that the Cowboys title was tarnished somewhat because of their golden point win. It also has huge impact on the final make up of the ladder. The reason it appeared to be put in the first place was just because some leading voices at the time were lobbing for it after a drawn SOO series, so it got changed. Don’t believe such significant ‘rule changes’ should be allowed to be so fluid.
Still reckon first try wins in extra time.If no tries, draw.

Gareth67

First Grade
I love the NFL but let’s leave that rule alone. Some of the new rules are ridiculous, let’s not go crazy now!!

Ha ! Bit late for that mate , the joint is full of the damn mongrels . The film ‘ One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest ‘ has nothing on the mob that control our game .

But back to the subject at hand - the fools have ‘ Americanized ‘ our beloved game to its detriment . I won’t go into what really gets to me - the 2 refs system stinks , but I won’t go into that and that damn golden point has robbed the losing team ( via virtue of the golden point itself ) of 80 + hard minutes of effort and what should be had been 1 competition point , just to satisfy some nitwits idea of making the game more exciting - blah , humbug ! :rage:

The new rules introduced for season 2021 are , IMO taking it just that little bit too far , the game now is a mere shadow of what it once was , it has become more ‘ gladiatorial ‘ then free flowing , that is the change that is truly required . Get rid off the absolute defense mentality and replaced with attacking football with clear and basic rules which do not need to be changed on a yearly basis .

And lastly - get rid of that bluudy bunker , far too many errors are involved. It is simply not worth the angst and heart-ache when the fools get a decision wrong - more so when they have a hundred damn cameras at their disposal to cover every angle , gawd that infuriates me .

Rant over .

Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors

Exactly,
It always peeved me when Laurie Daley would say, The 'D' line, the Red zone and all that crap.
Lets keep it simple and true to Australian rugby league.
The hotdogs can stay in the canteen.

BLM01

First Grade
Back on whether the new rules would benefit

well last year Mary said the Dragons would benefit and if course didn’t happen
this year hook said nothing so I suppose hopefully we will flourish

possm

Coach
Exactly,
It always peeved me when Laurie Daley would say, The 'D' line, the Red zone and all that crap.
Lets keep it simple and true to Australian rugby league.
The hotdogs can stay in the canteen.
Jack Gibson in the 70s was the worst for this. I'd say he was the one who introduced American football terminology into our game.

FlameThrower

Bench
Why do we need to mess about with rule changes every year....it’s ridiculous. By the time teams get used to it it mid season, then the NRL will “tweak” them again...

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Why do we need to mess about with rule changes every year....it’s ridiculous. By the time teams get used to it it mid season, then the NRL will “tweak” them again...
Agree with you mate, bit worried about some of this year’s rule changes. Soon won’t be able to recognise the game as its getting bit too far from the game I had such a passion. The NRL boss sells the technology contribution along the lines that the bunker’s decision is great entertainment. For me, i can live by the ref’s decision, that’s the uncertainly of sport and what I enjoy about it. The NRL seems like it needs to get ‘Botox’ every offseason to remove any wrinkles it may have collected; funny thing is I never minded the wrinkles in the first place.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Because it appears they are doing something to appease the media and mass hysteria at times that comes during the year.
Then the NRL put out through their media people selling it to the public as great changes and that they are listening to the fans but the tweeks barely scartch the surface of what could and needs to be done.

Latest posts