What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New stadium - 2025

Iamback

Coach
The NRL decides where the gf gets played. They don't need to make compromises to keep it it Accor. It would make no sense to spear the proposed stadium development in order to keep the gf at Accor. I haven't read the article you reference, but from what you have described it sounds like nonsense.

The fanatical support for the two Sydney teams in last weekend’s grand final has torpedoed the NRL’s annual threat to take the biggest game of the year interstate. Head office would have been humiliated if it had robbed Penrith and Parramatta fans of a chance to see the match by taking it to Queensland.

With Sydney clubs currently dominating the competition, it would be a gigantic risk to hold the grand final anywhere but Accor Stadium in the foreseeable future.
Certainly the suggestion that the NRL adopt a “Super Bowl” system – and take the game to the likes of Perth and Melbourne – should be off the agenda.

That’s why there are whispers of a new stadium deal with the NSW government which would keep the decider in Sydney for the next decade.
Under the proposal, which has reached senior ministerial level, the government would upgrade Penrith Stadium rather than doing a full rebuild on the adjacent harness racing club site.

The money saved would be used to upgrade suburban grounds, enabling the NRL to save face and deliver a result to the clubs. In return, the NRL would commit to holding the grand final in Sydney for the next 10 years.

The recent brawl between the government and NRL has shown there is little public support for stadium funding, so the package will need to be sold publicly as a win for taxpayers who won’t have to pay up to $10million a year to keep the grand final in Sydney.

No names mentioned and nothing else from it, Though it would explain the hold up with announcing the membership packages

Iamback

Coach
Agree 100%.

I remain optimistic the correct call will be made and a new stadium will be built on the paceway site.

It really is the logical outcome, The Paceway will die a slow death either way, No way it get re-zoned as it would be a traffic nightmare. Panthers development only got approved with them paying to install traffic lights and another carpark entrance near the academy

Goonji

Juniors
Governments generally are short sighted and driven by the fear of how people vote. Common sense says that the population of the greater Penrith district will grow, not shrink over the coming years with all the development taking place or planned. By the way, since 1982(???), the Eels have had 2 brand new stadiums built for them from the ground up while we have only had upgrades. I think we deserve a brand new stadium. Built on the Paceway site would be excellent.

Iamback

Coach
Governments generally are short sighted and driven by the fear of how people vote. Common sense says that the population of the greater Penrith district will grow, not shrink over the coming years with all the development taking place or planned. By the way, since 1982(???), the Eels have 2 brand new stadiums built for them from the ground up while we have only had upgrades. I think we deserve a brand new stadium. Built on the Paceway sight would be excellent.

Yep it will get to 2030 and the 1 million extra people will be here, Then they will realise they need it

soc123_au

Staff member

The fanatical support for the two Sydney teams in last weekend’s grand final has torpedoed the NRL’s annual threat to take the biggest game of the year interstate. Head office would have been humiliated if it had robbed Penrith and Parramatta fans of a chance to see the match by taking it to Queensland.

With Sydney clubs currently dominating the competition, it would be a gigantic risk to hold the grand final anywhere but Accor Stadium in the foreseeable future.
Certainly the suggestion that the NRL adopt a “Super Bowl” system – and take the game to the likes of Perth and Melbourne – should be off the agenda.

That’s why there are whispers of a new stadium deal with the NSW government which would keep the decider in Sydney for the next decade.
Under the proposal, which has reached senior ministerial level, the government would upgrade Penrith Stadium rather than doing a full rebuild on the adjacent harness racing club site.

The money saved would be used to upgrade suburban grounds, enabling the NRL to save face and deliver a result to the clubs. In return, the NRL would commit to holding the grand final in Sydney for the next 10 years.

The recent brawl between the government and NRL has shown there is little public support for stadium funding, so the package will need to be sold publicly as a win for taxpayers who won’t have to pay up to $10million a year to keep the grand final in Sydney.

No names mentioned and nothing else from it, Though it would explain the hold up with announcing the membership packages
I’d say he is just speculating.

Iamback

Coach
If you say so. I haven’t looked tbh.

from the membership part of the forum it looks like it, Surely after we dominated this season from Top to bottom the club would be wanting to get members onboard...

Unless the home ground is unknown and it isn't possible

BxTom

Bench

The reasons that 'no names mentioned' is that a journalist made up a story out of thin air as click bait.

Abacus

Juniors
I've got an email saying my membership will auto-renew next week. Why the concern memberships aren't on sale?

Abacus

Juniors
Because if Penrith is locked in they should be onsale
At the GF week training session, Ayres (I think) stated Panthers would be playing at the current stadium in 2023. Presumably once members have had a chance to renew, 2023 memberships will go "on sale" for new members and upgrades.

I suspect ‘refurbish‘ in this context means essentially a completely new stadium on the current site. I don’t think there’s much that can be done with the current stands that could turn it into a modern facility. It’s often cost competitive to actually knock down and rebuild than it is to modify very old structures as well.

You can't build on the hills

The Paceway will do a slow death this way, really an opportunity wasted

The northern hill can be built on by closing off Ransley st in the middle, making it a dead end at each end. Council could easily do this.

The southern end I’d turn in to a terraced safe standing area if the plumbing issues allow.

forby

Juniors
Total water of money trying to refurbish the ground or rebuild on the current site.
The refurbishment would leave it needing a rebuilding in a few years, and a rebuild on the present site would be 20k less corporates meaning a lot less public capacity.

Iamback

Coach
The northern hill can be built on by closing off Ransley st in the middle, making it a dead end at each end. Council could easily do this.

The southern end I’d turn in to a terraced safe standing area if the plumbing issues allow.

Not sure Ransley Street being closed off is viable, Panthers had to pay for Traffic lights and another entrance via Jamison Road.

Ransley Street being closed off takes away another entrance, Which once the Conference Centre is up and running the more exit points the better

Murraymob1

Juniors
The reality no matter how much we want it the governent does not have the money for the paceway build and bit by bit they are leaking information as they water it down to a upgrade that’s not a rebuild at the paceway or the current site
It needs to be a all seated venue and also increased corporate boxes to keeps us competing with the richer clubs .Will we get anything is more the question as upgrade will soon disappear

Total water of money trying to refurbish the ground or rebuild on the current site.
The refurbishment would leave it needing a rebuilding in a few years, and a rebuild on the present site would be 20k less corporates meaning a lot less public capacity.

Why can’t a 25k seat stadium be built on the current site?