What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Team Colours

Nuke

Staff member
Just watching the PM's XIII game now, and with with all the talk in recent months of 3x expansion teams supposedly coming in over the next 8yrs, it's had me thinking of expansion team colours.

Unfortunately in the 8yrs since this thread was created most of the images are now no longer available, so I'll re-ask the initial question again. What good, marketable colour combinations are possible for new teams in the NRL going forward?

While there have been issues with the Western Bears bid of late, they have pretty much locked in the colour combination of red-black-yellow-white.

PNG, for instant recognition, would be yellow-red-black ... but a) those are the national colours so they should probably try avoiding having the exact same colours, and b) the two previously admitted teams will likely have been red-yellow-white (Dolphins) and red-black-yellow-white (WA), so it'd be a bit much having three new teams in almost the same colour scheme.

So, what else is out there?

Do we look to the past and take or take variations of old former-NRL club colours (black-white of Western Suburbs, dirty gold and dark blue of Sth Qld, ect), or go with something completely new to our comp?

What's everyone's thoughts?

And please try to keep the discussion relative to club colours ... I know there's a tendency in this expansion forum for a number of posters to revert to slagging eachother off or to just talk about bids themselves. I'm just talking potentially good club colour combinations.

Nuke

Staff member
By the way, I did have to smile to myself when I saw the previously most recent post in here was my own from Jan 2016, commentating on those awesome Catalans jerseys. Several months later, I'd ordered those two I particularly liked and they're in my wardrobe as I type this. I obviously kept thinking about them as that year went on!

In hindsight, I wish I'd also gotten the black & gold one as well..!

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
I think silver/grey needs to be a colour involved somehow, and I'd like to see metallic-gold (like those Catalans kits) brought in too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally png would go with A predominant yellow jersey with a dash of red and black. Black shorts

WA a predominantly black jersey with a dash of red and gold, black shorts.

club 20 who knows who’ll get the license in the current fiasco. Ipswich green and silver, easts brown and black, nz2 green and orange seem the obvious contenders.

flippikat

First Grade
Ideally png would go with A predominant yellow jersey with a dash of red and black. Black shorts

WA a predominantly black jersey with a dash of red and gold, black shorts.

club 20 who knows who’ll get the license in the current fiasco. Ipswich green and silver, easts brown and black, nz2 green and orange seem the obvious contenders.
Yeah, I think a yellow-based main jersey with red & black would do. The question is whether they want to distinguish the club from the national team by either adding a color or changing the shade of one.

Remember when the NZ Warriors got close to Kiwis colors?

There was a period when the club wore black and white, but also a time where it was black & silver.. and an era where the jerseys were mostly black with white and blue V & a bit of red.

WA will likely be mostly red & black, maybe some white, and an outside chance of a little yellow or gold (though I'm not sure if yellow/gold will make the cut, given PNG's likely look)

Chances are team 20 will have some shade of green or orange in the mix, as those are terribly under-utilised in the competition. Maybe even both.

Matiunz

Juniors
Dark green and white.
That’s the ideal South Island colours for mine.
White is the SI rep colours and the Maori name Te Waiponamu aka greenstone which is a deep green colour

WA I’m assuming will be pretty much modernised bears jerseys

Port Moresby teams seem to be predominantly yellow with red secondary and black trim so similar to the kumuls

MugaB

Coach
i suppose it all depends on what the mascot for
PNG Is, someone mentioned Venom, or Scorpions recently, so it could very well be tennis ball fluro green/yellow with black and white trim

Perth-Western Bears/West Coast Bears
Red, Black, White, trim of yellow (ala western reds)

20.South Island Kea/Bulls or Easts Brisbane Sabres
Black/Brown, white orange trim

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Reminder: likely team 18 Western Pasifika Porcupines colours are red, blue, yellow, black, green, purple, orange, white, silver, cyan, teal, aqua, turquoise, Celeste, pink, brown, grey and gold.

So can't be used.

MugaB

Coach
Reminder: likely team 18 Western Pasifika Porcupines colours are red, blue, yellow, black, green, purple, orange, white, silver, cyan, teal, aqua, turquoise, Celeste, pink, brown, grey and gold.

So can't be used.
Fine so it will be bone, the white, the off-white, ivory and the beige

Santino Patane

Juniors
I watched a few Hunters games this year live and thought at the time that their kits would work well in the NRL. For me, having the team colours mean something is a worthwhile exercise, not just for contrasting brands. 1728850262881.png

Latest posts