What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Wa Reds - Logo & Membership

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
dimitri said:
I think they sent an email about Associate membership before they realised they havent got it up on the site yet............whoops

Also Steve Mascord made a small mention of the REDS in todays Sunday Telegraph

I dont think the WARL are too happy about this. They reckon its been leaked?

dimitri

First Grade
KalgoorlieRed said:
The Chairman told me this today. his words not mine.

oh dear

not good signs then

the chairman is obviously not in contact with the marketing department.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Nuke said:
Personally, I think the actual logo they will use will be simpler than this one (I too got that e-mail, but I don't know why ... I have ordered my membership and got a phone call on Thursday morning about it). This logo is over-rendered (if that's even a word). Too much fading. Once they simplify it a bit, then (hopefully) fix up that stupid-looking mouth, I reckon it'll be a pretty good looking logo. At the moment, it looks very manga, doesn't it?

I also strongly believe the team colours will be red, black, and white. I still reckon gold should be there (as black and gold are WA's state colours, and for 2007, the WA Reds will be the WA State team before they kick-off in the 2008 Jim Beam Cup). Doesn't look good for the Central Coast Bears if Perth has their colours in a national comp. I know other teams share colours, but I woulda thought that red-black-white scheme was pretty much North Sydney's and nobody elses.
Yeah they went overboard with the Chisel effect in Photoshop.

Timbo

Staff member
Personally, I think it's a bad idea. Alot of people in the West see the Reds moniker as brand poison.

I hope and pray it succeeds though-It's by far the most appropriate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure I would say "alot" but certainly the West Australian, Sunday Times and Ch9 WA got burnt after investing money to put on RL staff when the Reds were culled.

Having said that they are probably just miffed at RL generally so don't know a name or logo change would make that much difference.

dimitri

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Not sure I would say "alot" but certainly the West Australian, Sunday Times and Ch9 WA got burnt after investing money to put on RL staff when the Reds were culled.

Having said that they are probably just miffed at RL generally so don't know a name or logo change would make that much difference.

i agree

i think they would all have the sh!ts at the nrl not reds

that is why the WAR moniker will work in their favour

WAR against the nrl to get back in

WAR after what happened last time

WAR against the eastern seabord

.............ps still nothing new on the website

Nuke

Staff member
I have warmed to the WA Reds name recently. I was never too against it anyway, but I'm definitely more for it than I was.

I have been talking to several people in recent times who remember the Western Reds name. These people I was talking to are most certainly NOT League supporters. I brought my old 'Cash Converters' 1995 Reds jersey into work last week to show a workmate (who incidentally WAS a Reds fan and still tries to follow League whenever she can), and another workmate saw the jersey and said "My husband has that one. He wears it while he mows the lawn." I was then talking to another workmate later on, and she told me she knew the Reds, and her mum worked with one of their players, and somewhere at home, she has his autograph. She couldn't remember his name though. She shocked me in a good way when she told me she remembers the Reds.

I've kinda gone off on a tangent here, but that's just a sample of conversations I've had with people regarding the name 'Reds'. Personally, I reckon it's a good thing they've gone with it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bet the people still driving round with Reds number plates are happy as well!

Saw an original reds T-shirt on Ebay in UK for 3 pound last week, I'll have to buy it now!

Nuke

Staff member
I still have all my Western Reds gear. Foundation Member hat, jersey, 2x t-shirts, shorts (don't fit now though), socks, flag, big logo sign thing that supporters removed from the walls after every home game in 1995 (then got them signed by as many players as possible), jacket, stubby holder, and various other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I even still have all the 1995 'Big League Extra' magazine inserts for the Reds!

dimitri

First Grade
Nuke said:
I still have all my Western Reds gear. Foundation Member hat, jersey, 2x t-shirts, shorts (don't fit now though), socks, flag, big logo sign thing that supporters removed from the walls after every home game in 1995 (then got them signed by as many players as possible), jacket, stubby holder, and various other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I even still have all the 1995 'Big League Extra' magazine inserts for the Reds!

Go the reds!

Great to hear that merchandise is still around - and hopefully we will be seeing much more of it!

Nuke

Staff member
Knightmare said:
Good stuff. So when did you become a Knights fan?
Long before the Reds came around. I'm from Newcastle originally (Belmont to be precise). I supported the Reds when they started, but my beloved Knights were always number 1 in my eyes. I remember being over the moon when Reds defeated St.George in Round 1 1995, and still being really happy when they got thumped in Round 2 by Newcastle at Marathon Stadium.

When the WA Reds enter the NRL in 2012 (here's hoping!), I'll be going for them, supporting them, but my Knights will definitely be #1 still, and when the Reds play the Knights, CARN THE KNIGHTS!!!!

Nuke

Staff member
Oh, before I forget, that WA Reds logo that TheTank posted up -although sent to people via e-mail from the WA Reds- is not officially the logo. They're still in the process of trademarking a logo, and that one is not finished or confirmed. I discovered this several hours ago. Apparently once discovered that it was out in public (kinda), the WARL/WA Reds board were absolutely fuming. Official colours are not released yet, so gold may yet be included (a good idea in my opinion). I received a letter today thanking me for becoming a foundation member of the WA Reds. In it, the letter states that playing and training strips will be unveiled in a few weeks sometime. I would (I assume) safely say that a logo will be finalised by then too. Once unveiled, people who have signed up as foundation members can then begin to receive their membership kits. I don't know what's contained in these kits, but I'm certainly looking forward to receiving mine!

To those who are using the WA Reds logo as an avatar or in their sig, I might just use something else for a few weeks, just to be on the safe side.

dimitri

First Grade
Nuke said:
Oh, before I forget, that WA Reds logo that TheTank posted up -although sent to people via e-mail from the WA Reds- is not officially the logo. They're still in the process of trademarking a logo, and that one is not finished or confirmed. I discovered this several hours ago. Apparently once discovered that it was out in public (kinda), the WARL/WA Reds board were absolutely fuming. Official colours are not released yet, so gold may yet be included (a good idea in my opinion). I received a letter today thanking me for becoming a foundation member of the WA Reds. In it, the letter states that playing and training strips will be unveiled in a few weeks sometime. I would (I assume) safely say that a logo will be finalised by then too. Once unveiled, people who have signed up as foundation members can then begin to receive their membership kits. I don't know what's contained in these kits, but I'm certainly looking forward to receiving mine!

To those who are using the WA Reds logo as an avatar or in their sig, I might just use something else for a few weeks, just to be on the safe side.

hmmmmmmmm

so is the person who sent the email in trouble?

dimitri

First Grade
"Hi

Sorry about the late reply, as we speak the associate memberships are being added to the website, i will email you when i have confirmation that it is on the site.

Thank you for supporting Rugby League in Western Australia.

Lucy Keating
The New WA Reds "