What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matua

Bench
You understand fine

We had ol Tea cup saying we should just accept Journos stating stuff without any evidence , & you saying we shouldn't, which is it ?
I don't speak for Te Kaha. We're not a mono-mind.

Also, your smart arse name for Te Kaha would work better if he was called Kaputī - would probably seem a little less racist too.

Oh please
the A league is more relevant here & its not much better over there
The saffas got the f**k outta dodge , they knew what was coming , the Argies & Japs went the way of the dodo
The force were axed because they were a basket case , then reinstated when there weren't enough aussie teams to field a conference , drua & moana .... complete disasters

its done
its failed
I don't really take the opinion of anti rugby jihadists about how the game is going seriously. Your comment about the Drua shows you have little idea. They're well supported, are ok on the field and will likely improve. Even if MP fails I'm happy they gave it a shot.

Plus if Super fails then we go to NPC and I actually get to watch my preferred team play.

Vibing

Juniors
I don't speak for Te Kaha. We're not a mono-mind.

Also, your smart arse name for Te Kaha would work better if he was called Kaputī - would probably seem a little less racist too.

I don't really take the opinion of anti rugby jihadists about how the game is going seriously. Your comment about the Drua shows you have little idea. They're well supported, are ok on the field and will likely improve. Even if MP fails I'm happy they gave it a shot.

Plus if Super fails then we go to NPC and I actually get to watch my preferred team play.
anti rugby Jihadists ?
& i thought fumblers were deluded clowns

well
they have stiff competition from kiwi toffballers now lol

you & tea cup
peas in a pod...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Go ahead with your data.
The vast majority of the decline was attributed to covid as it was taken during covid and Understanding the difference between choralation and causation is beyond your comprehension.
Something for you to look into on the data front then:
New Zealand has never been stronger in terms of eligible players!
New Zealand has never represented more in the NRL with quality players.
Halfback options and five eights have never been stronger. SJ and Foran are world class and in form try to displace the world cup combination of Hughes and Brown.. should we go through forward pack ?
The NRL has never had this much talent across all 17 teams now.

I'm supposed to ignore what my eyes are telling me every week over 8 games... and how's the Warriors nsw cup team going too btw ?

So I'll ignore my entire youth and the hundreds of talented footballers I watched week in week out to believe this hyperbolic notion that the NBA are going to consume all the youth available...
You are a f**king more .. on.
I think you have me confused with somebody else, because none of this has anything to do with anything I've said...

The Great Dane

First Grade
BTW, for the village idiots-

Huge shock in list of Australia's top sports as one of the country's biggest codes fails to even crack the top 10 - and soccer emerges the big winner

The 'beautiful game' has 1,154,153 participants, followed by golf (742,231), Aussie Rules (699,940) and tennis (648,210). Netball came in at No.5 (645,261), followed by basketball (588,720), cricket (506,947), swimming (379,671), touch football (277,856) and running/athletics (256,639).

Despite being one of the most-watched sports in the country with a super-rich broadcast rights deal, rugby league participation is down and it's a crucial issue that NRL boss Peter V'landys has addressed in recent years.

'To be totally transparent, we have spent tens of millions of dollars trying to increase participation,' V'landys said in 2021.

'The investment at this stage is not returning what it should. Of course, it's a concern. That's why the commission made it one of its number one priorities.
'I'm confident the strategies of the NSWRL, QRL and NRL will reverse the trend.

'Talking to parents I've spoken to, they are concerned about their kids getting hurt. That's why I want to stress to these parents that junior rugby league is safe.

'People shouldn't look at the NRL and consider it exactly the same. We're going to educate people that junior rugby league is safe. Kids can get off their video machines and off their devices and start playing rugby league.'
I'll tell you one of the main reasons why the strategies aren't working as well; they're focused on the NSWRL and QRL instead national.

Gobsmacked

Bench

Huge shock in list of Australia's top sports as one of the country's biggest codes fails to even crack the top 10 - and soccer emerges the big winner

I'll tell you one of the main reasons why the strategies aren't working as well; they're focused on the NSWRL and QRL instead national.
Everyone watches UFC, it's massive.

Where do they come in on the list?
Oh they don't?

But they have extraordinary talent.

And and extraordinary popularity.

Meaning junior participation numbers aren't the deciding factor in a sports success.
If it was, Soccer would be massive and I never would have heard of the UFC

Perth Red

Post Whore

And that they've slashed funding!
Bit unfair in that article to not include Touch and RL contact together though. The AFL figures will def include all the variants including auskick participation. NRL needs to start talking up its participation numbers to include Touch, its is just a variation of RL afterall

Perth Red

Post Whore

Oh they don't?

Meaning junior participation numbers aren't the deciding factor in a sports success.
Shthouse crowds though in comparison. And a UFC fighter doesn't need $32mill a year to be viable.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Oh they don't?

I'm not arguing that participation = popularity of the professional product, nor have I ever argued that as it's obviously untrue on face value.

Participation is very important however, as it's where a sport sources the vast majority of it's talent. Low participation numbers leads to a smaller talent pool to draw top talent from, which leads to a lower standard of top talent available at any one time, which effects the standards of the professional product.

Take Australian RU; it's undeniable that it'd be in a better place if it had access to some of the top talent that's run around in the NRL, and AFL to a lesser extent, over the years.

BTW, the UFC sources it's talent globally, unlike the NRL which is extremely reliant on participation rates in Australia and has no scope to scout talent in the same way that the UFC does.

But setting that aside for a minute, the UFC is MMA, and as such it can draw it's talent from across many martial arts disciplines. So to get even a somewhat (stress somewhat) accurate participation number for them would be very difficult. The best bet would be to basically merge all the numbers of the different major martial arts and combat sports together, which would be a significant number of people. You still wouldn't get a very accurate picture though.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
And that they've slashed funding!
Bit unfair in that article to not include Touch and RL contact together though. The AFL figures will def include all the variants including auskick participation. NRL needs to start talking up its participation numbers to include Touch, its is just a variation of RL afterall
The relationship between touch and RL is complex. Most people whom play touch/tag aren't playing it because of it's connection RL, and may not even understand that the connection exists, but increasingly people that want to play RL casually are playing touch/tag instead of the full contact version of the game. It's a grey area basically.

I guarantee that a few of the other sports would have higher numbers if all their different versions were included in the numbers as well, but that's just not how these numbers are collected. There's some debate as how similar disabled versions of the sports have to be before they're considered different sports in actuality as well. It gets to a point where there isn't really a right answer to this stuff.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The relationship between touch and RL is complex. Most people whom play touch/tag aren't playing it because of it's connection RL, and may not even understand that the connection exists, but increasingly people that want to play RL casually are playing touch/tag instead of the full contact version of the game. It's a grey area basically.

I guarantee that a few of the other sports would have higher numbers if all their different versions were included in the numbers as well, but that's just not how these numbers are collected. There's some debate as how similar disabled versions of the sports have to be before they're considered different sports in actuality as well. It gets to a point where there isn't really a right answer to this stuff.
True but if AFL can get away with including all variants in participation number then RL needs to get its act together and advocate for the same. We are stronger together after all and touch is a genuine form of RL. Together RL would be around 5th place in participation tables , not missing top ten all together. That's massive when it comes to lobbying for grassroots funding.

Pfft, meaningless…

VFL are including one-day school events and RL isnt accounting Touch?

Not a problem, just some clickbait. It doesnt change reality as much as a VFL fan might want it to.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Pfft, meaningless…

VFL are including one-day school events and RL isnt accounting Touch?

Not a problem, just some clickbait. It doesnt change reality as much as a VFL fan might want it to.

You guys must really have small penises... seriously, dick measuring is for the insecure.

Instead of addressing the actual issue, you guys decide there isn't an issue because some other sports include other figures?????... and you guys think that because touch rugby is a "non contact form of League", its figures should be included to show that "participation" declines are not an issue. Despite Touch having its own organisation, internationals and "world cup".

The simple fact is League participation is in decline in Australia and NZ as is general trend around the world for team contact sports.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You guys must really have small penises... seriously, dick measuring is for the insecure.

Instead of addressing the actual issue, you guys decide there isn't an issue because some other sports include other figures?????... and you guys think that because touch rugby is a "non contact form of League", its figures should be included to show that "participation" declines are not an issue. Despite Touch having its own organisation, internationals and "world cup".

The simple fact is League participation is in decline in Australia and NZ as is general trend around the world for team contact sports.
All sports now use 'participation' figures rather than actual registered players. Its BS and should be stopped.

Im sure union counts sevens? Touch is a derivative of RL and is now branded as such at long last, in the same way auskick is a participation program of AFL. Whats good for the goose.

Again sweeping statement, its declining in certain age groups and gender. The womens game is growing in all age groups in most areas. In some regions the registered players is growing, in others its declining. In some age groups its growing, in touch its growing. Full contact 13 a side in the 15-25 age group is probably the area where drop off is greatest and as you say is mirrored in other high contact team sports

Te Kaha

First Grade
All sports now use 'participation' figures rather than actual registered players. Its BS and should be stopped.

That's semantics, people playing is participation.

Im sure union counts sevens? Touch is a derivative of RL and is now branded as such at long last, in the same way auskick is a participation program of AFL. Whats good for the goose.

Sevens and nines are controlled by the same governing body, have almost the same rules and are literally the same sport. That is a stupid example,

Touch may be a derivative of League, but have a different governing body, and in NZ are aligned with Rugby and don't want to be aligned with League. So no they don't count.
And Auskick? really? that is to AFL as tag is is League or ripper is to Rugby. Touch is not the same. They are different sports.

Again sweeping statement, its declining in certain age groups and gender. The womens game is growing in all age groups in most areas. In some regions the registered players is growing, in others its declining. In some age groups its growing, in touch its growing. Full contact 13 a side in the 15-25 age group is probably the area where drop off is greatest and as you say is mirrored in other high contact team sports

The discussion is clearly about the NRL, where the money comes from. So its male games that are in decline. The womans games are growing because they are relatively new and start from such a tiny participation base.
Overall Junior numbers are declining, for males, teenage numbers are declining for males, and senior numbers for males are declining. The world has changed, and team contact sports are the first to suffer.

Gobsmacked

Bench
That's semantics, people playing is participation.

Sevens and nines are controlled by the same governing body, have almost the same rules and are literally the same sport. That is a stupid example,

Touch may be a derivative of League, but have a different governing body, and in NZ are aligned with Rugby and don't want to be aligned with League. So no they don't count.
And Auskick? really? that is to AFL as tag is is League or ripper is to Rugby. Touch is not the same. They are different sports.

The discussion is clearly about the NRL, where the money comes from. So its male games that are in decline. The womans games are growing because they are relatively new and start from such a tiny participation base.
Overall Junior numbers are declining, for males, teenage numbers are declining for males, and senior numbers for males are declining. The world has changed, and team contact sports are the first to suffer.
People used to be tougher. I was small for my age but still had a go. These days those smaller kids don't have a go or thier parents don't let them.
Is the participation just more centred around who is more suitable to the sport? The talent coming through is better than it was 20 years ago, so I think we've ended up with quality over quantity.
And is that drop off being picked up with tag and touch?
In all honesty it all seems to be working out just fine.

Latest posts