What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's semantics, people playing is participation.

Sevens and nines are controlled by the same governing body, have almost the same rules and are literally the same sport. That is a stupid example,

Touch may be a derivative of League, but have a different governing body, and in NZ are aligned with Rugby and don't want to be aligned with League. So no they don't count.
And Auskick? really? that is to AFL as tag is is League or ripper is to Rugby. Touch is not the same. They are different sports.

The discussion is clearly about the NRL, where the money comes from. So its male games that are in decline. The womans games are growing because they are relatively new and start from such a tiny participation base.
Overall Junior numbers are declining, for males, teenage numbers are declining for males, and senior numbers for males are declining. The world has changed, and team contact sports are the first to suffer.
No it isnt, kids doing 4 x 1/2 classes at school is called participation. Kids registered with a club to play a season is what we should be counting.

Touch is clealry a derivative of rugby league. not a different sport. Like saying sevens isnt rugby union. Its management and identity is An anamoly of history and another example of rugby league administration being sht at its job.

Gobsmacked

Bench
No it isnt, kids doing 4 x 1/2 classes at school is called participation. Kids registered with a club to play a season is what we should be counting.

Touch is clealry a derivative of rugby league. not a different sport. Like saying sevens isnt rugby union. Its management and identity is An anamoly of history and another example of rugby league administration being sht at its job.
Too be fair, what is the actual point of juicing your participation numbers? Bragging rights? That's really all it is .
So the AFL pay a bunch of executives to get participation numbers up... they find a way to make it look like they're doing a great job and keep their job..
So what, the NRL aren't paying people to bullshit? Great.

Te Kaha

First Grade
People used to be tougher. I was small for my age but still had a go. These days those smaller kids don't have a go or thier parents don't let them.
Is the participation just more centred around who is more suitable to the sport? The talent coming through is better than it was 20 years ago, so I think we've ended up with quality over quantity.
And is that drop off being picked up with tag and touch?
In all honesty it all seems to be working out just fine.

For now. less and less kids are playing contact sport. when you need two teams to play a game even a few kids less each year will place clubs under pressure, that will have a cascade effect.

Te Kaha

First Grade

It doesn't matter, as long as its consistent.

That's ridiculous. The rules difference between League and Touch are greater than between League and Rugby. By your definition League is a "derivative" of Rugby and therefore counted as Rugby participation. It is clearly a different sport. "Seven" and "Fifteen" a side like "nine" and "thirteen" a side have almost identical rules. They are clearly part of their respective sports.

Gobsmacked

Bench
It doesn't matter, as long as its consistent.

That's ridiculous. The rules difference between League and Touch are greater than between League and Rugby. By your definition League is a "derivative" of Rugby and therefore counted as Rugby participation. It is clearly a different sport. "Seven" and "Fifteen" a side like "nine" and "thirteen" a side have almost identical rules. They are clearly part of their respective sports.
Touch is almost identical to league.
It's League without tackling.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Touch is almost identical to league.
It's League without tackling.

Really? What happens when the ball hits the ground in Touch? or if you kick the ball? what about those scrums? How about if you are caught running from dummy half in touch? Can you score running from dummy half in touch? what about all those penalty goals or conversions?

"almost identical"???? yeah right.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Really? What happens when the ball hits the ground in Touch? or if you kick the ball? what about those scrums? How about if you are caught running from dummy half in touch? Can you score running from dummy half in touch? what about all those penalty goals or conversions?

Yeah it is. There's certainly nuances that go along with removing tackling, everyone understands that.
I played both as a kid, as did most a lot of kids that played league. I remember teachers banned tackle at lunchtime so we played touch 🤷‍♂️
Anyway whatever, you're married to your opinions that support your narrative regardless of how ridiculous they are.
He's some positive things regarding your concerns over player development. Love to see what spin you put on this one.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Yeah it is. There's certainly nuances that go along with removing tackling, everyone understands that.
I played both as a kid, as did most a lot of kids that played league. I remember teachers banned tackle at lunchtime so we played touch 🤷‍♂️
Anyway whatever, you're married to your opinions that support your narrative regardless of how ridiculous they are.
He's some positive things regarding your concerns over player development. Love to see what spin you put on this one.

They are similar games, but they are not the same game. and half the rules being different is hardly "nuances ". Are you so desperate to claim numbers aren't declining that you use it to bolster participation figures.

So you think signing and I quote "A number of promising player" is player development? really? It doesn't address the declining numbers of players, teams and clubs that feed into that "development". That you don't understand that shows you don't actually care about League in NZ.

mongoose

Coach

its a hell of a lot closer to League than it is to Union though. Funny because I'm pretty sure I've seen Union people trying to claim touch as a variation of it in the northern hemisphere, which is laughable.

Wb1234

Immortal
South Sydney invented sevens back in the 50s or so

it’s funny union copying our ideas

ever since the schism we’ve always been the progressive rugby code

even though William Webb Ellis is a union lie the idea of running with a football is something embraced by our side wholeheartedly

Matua

Bench
South Sydney invented sevens back in the 50s or so

it’s funny union copying our ideas

ever since the schism we’ve always been the progressive rugby code

even though William Webb Ellis is a union lie the idea of running with a football is something embraced by our side wholeheartedly
Huh? 7s was being played in the 19th century.

Te Kaha

First Grade
its a hell of a lot closer to League than it is to Union though. Funny because I'm pretty sure I've seen Union people trying to claim touch as a variation of it in the northern hemisphere, which is laughable.

Of course it's a lot closer to League than it is to Rugby, but it is not a variation of League it is it's own sport. If you are using that argument then League is a variation of Rugby and shouldn't be considered a sport.

Gobsmacked

Bench
You blokes are cooked.

The founding fathers of Touch Football were Bob Dyke and Ray Vawdon, of the South Sydney Junior Rugby League Club, who invented it as a method of training for Rugby League and as a means of allowing retired players to keep running around in a competitive game.

Te Kaha

First Grade

A DIRECT VARIATION OF RUGBY LEAGUE, INVENTED TO TRAIN FOR RUGBY LEAGUE

And a direct quote... "Touch is now a recognised sport in its own right ". Case closed.

No different than League being on offshoot of Rugby, but it is a sport in its own right. It's quiet simple and quite baffling how you can't understand something so basic.

Gobsmacked

Bench
And a direct quote... "Touch is now a recognised sport in its own right ". Case closed.

No different than League being on offshoot of Rugby, but it is a sport in its own right. It's quiet simple and quite baffling how you can't understand something so basic.
Astonishing, I'm so proud of you 😍