What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matua

Bench
I'd like to see those figures. I couldn't find anything on the NPC other than thier delight at have 1 game on TV a week. The fact nobody in Australia has even heard of that comp shows just how limited that market is.

If the NRL adds a team in NZ, it double whatever they're doing now with the Warriors.
I've posted the link twice already.

Also, all NPC games are televised on Sky (and on Stan in Oz).

Even if the NRL adds a new NZ team it wont make the dent in rugby you think it will. Most Sky subscribers will watch both rugby and league, with some diehards on both sides only watching one or the other. As I've repeatedly said there is less us and them in NZ. The only time I get into back and forths about the two sports on either league or rugby forums is with Australians fighting their forever war with each other and the odd Pom.

Wb1234

Referee
Hope there's more than the players family seen at the game...
The crowds in nz this year have all been excellent

clearly with the drop off in super rugby kiwis are keen to watch a strong club competition

the all blacks will still be a draw but beneath that the nrl will just keep gaining market share

Gobsmacked

Bench
I've posted the link twice already.

Also, all NPC games are televised on Sky (and on Stan in Oz).

Even if the NRL adds a new NZ team it wont make the dent in rugby you think it will. Most Sky subscribers will watch both rugby and league, with some diehards on both sides only watching one or the other. As I've repeatedly said there is less us and them in NZ. The only time I get into back and forths about the two sports on either league or rugby forums is with Australians fighting their forever war with each other and the odd Pom.
It's good you guys watch both.

Te Kaha

First Grade
The Olympics is huge. Millions tune into watching " walking " because it's a thing everyone identifies with as thier nation and showing nation pride. Given RU is more entertaining than walking but only marginally.

Rugby union has a wide enough range Of teams on equal enough footing to create the same national pride following- most don't know half the rules.
It'll always be big but it doesn't concern me , the NRL or any other professional sporting competition.

All blacks- 1 team.
NRL- 17 soon to be 18.. and so on..
9 games a week.

While currently 8 games a week, where 7 aren't watched by very many at all in NZ, That wont change with a new team.

Te Kaha

First Grade
The crowds in nz this year have all been excellent

clearly with the drop off in super rugby kiwis are keen to watch a strong club competition

the all blacks will still be a draw but beneath that the nrl will just keep gaining market share

See wally, you have to keep making shit up. There hasn't been a drop off in viewership of super Rugby. That scares you lot severely.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Well Matua says kiwis watch both, so a new NZ team is sure to have lots of support 😁

Except SkyTV wont pay for it. No competition for rights, and only going from one to two games that might rate well. When the next rights bid goes back to historic norms there is no chance of a new NZ team.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ideally it would be the Auckland Warriors and the Christchurch bulls but I could also settle for the north island warriors and South Island bulls.
No thanks to North Island vs South Island
Kiwis don’t really identify strongly with their islands as much as they do with their city/region. I’d rather Auckland vs Canterbury or Wellington. Or even Auckland vs a combined side as there’s a degree of “Auckland vs everyone else” sentiment in NZ.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Ideally it would be the Auckland Warriors and the Christchurch bulls but I could also settle for the north island warriors and South Island bulls.
I hope they both have " new Zealand " as then it's open to everyone in NZ to pick 1 ! A real rivalry.
There would be plenty in Auckland and North Island who didn't jump on the Warriors like what we're seeing with the Dolphins success.

Brian potter

Bench
No thanks to North Island vs South Island
Kiwis don’t really identify strongly with their islands as much as they do with their city/region. I’d rather Auckland vs Canterbury or Wellington. Or even Auckland vs a combined side as there’s a degree of “Auckland vs everyone else” sentiment in NZ.
Would calling a team Christchurch over Canterbury cause any problems amongst kiwis?

Brian potter

Bench
I hope they both have " new Zealand " as then it's open to everyone in NZ to pick 1 ! A real rivalry.
There would be plenty in Auckland and North Island who didn't jump on the Warriors like what we're seeing with the Dolphins success.
The New Zealand tag is a bit Too broad for my liking.

it’s ok for 1 sole team representing a nation in a competition but not 2.

Matua

Bench
Well Matua says kiwis watch both, so a new NZ team is sure to have lots of support 😁
But it wont increase viewership of other NRL games, and likely wont drive new subscriptions. If you're a big league fan you already have Sky for the Warriors, if you're from that region or the rest of NZ then you already have Sky for either the rugby or the league (or both, or soccer, MMA, BB etc).