What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why it can come out of the 50 million plus profits they make each year
I’m talking about Australian clubs reliance on Getting 15 year old kiwi kids over to australia and Into their systems. If those kids are staying home for a shot at nz2 then who’s filling the Australian clubs rosters?

Matua

Bench
Cheers for posting that, I have some issues with it:

Super Rugby teams in New Zealand and Australia aren’t interested in players in that age group.
This is not strictly true, the Super teams have an U20s tournament and development squad matches, they have academy teams for players in that age group, and most provinces that make up a franchise have academies as well. They also play in the NPC (Te Whare himself played NPC before dropping down to the Heartland Cup). Furthermore a limited number of players in that age group play for senior Super teams.

But no recent mention of a second New Zealand team, possibly based in Auckland to create a one-city, two-team rivalry.
WTF. That is just silly from a top journo. Auckland is not a league city like Brisbane, an Auckland Dolphins wont work.

Te Whare’s past is the signpost to the NRL’s future.
I genuinely don't understand this - this is essentially saying failed rugby players is the NRL's future. The NRL should want to be getting the ones getting selected by the Chiefs, not the one's dropping down two levels from there.

Wb1234

Referee
I’m talking about Australian clubs reliance on Getting 15 year old kiwi kids over to australia and Into their systems. If those kids are staying home for a shot at nz2 then who’s filling the Australian clubs rosters?
Oh

still there’s loads of players for everyone

nz isn’t close to being tapped out

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh

still there’s loads of players for everyone

nz isn’t close to being tapped out
It still requires the Australian clubs to be altruistic in the short term and except there won’t be kiwi kids coming across into their systems. Can you se them agreeing?

greenBV4

Bench
It still requires the Australian clubs to be altruistic in the short term and except there won’t be kiwi kids coming across into their systems. Can you se them agreeing?
tbf, they'll make the same complaints about perth/adelaide, qld teams will be very vocal against qld, etc etc.
they are all self serving and will complain regardless

Gobsmacked

Bench

This is not strictly true, the Super teams have an U20s tournament and development squad matches, they have academy teams for players in that age group, and most provinces that make up a franchise have academies as well. They also play in the NPC (Te Whare himself played NPC before dropping down to the Heartland Cup). Furthermore a limited number of players in that age group play for senior Super teams.

WTF. That is just silly from a top journo. Auckland is not a league city like Brisbane, an Auckland Dolphins wont work.

I genuinely don't understand this - this is essentially saying failed rugby players is the NRL's future. The NRL should want to be getting the ones getting selected by the Chiefs, not the one's dropping down two levels from there.
It is a pretty dud article. Although I appreciate any attention that goes to nz. Another Auckland side is a no from my too. And realistically the future wouldn't be getting any Union players, we should be bringing through our own.
The Warriors have a team in the nsw cup and if another side came into nz, I'd rather than had a national comp ( even small) one to feed first grade.
2 Auckland
1 Hamilton
2 Wellington
1 Christchurch
1 Dunedin
Something to that effect.
With lower grades feeding those.
The same way QLD cup
And Nsw cup feed Australian teams.
It's successful in Australia because the sprinkling of talent trying to crack NRL.

Te Kaha

First Grade
It is a pretty dud article. Although I appreciate any attention that goes to nz. Another Auckland side is a no from my too. And realistically the future wouldn't be getting any Union players, we should be bringing through our own.
The Warriors have a team in the nsw cup and if another side came into nz, I'd rather than had a national comp ( even small) one to feed first grade.
2 Auckland
1 Hamilton
2 Wellington
1 Christchurch
1 Dunedin
The same way QLD cup
It's successful in Australia because the sprinkling of talent trying to crack NRL.

Problem is that every time its tried it has lasted a 2-5 years and then crumbles under the weight of debt. The NZRL doesn't have the money to support. If they had 10-15 million a year to cover the loses it should survive long enough... maybe.

As an aside, while those teams look good as dots on a map, in order of player numbers it should be

1 Northland
4 Auckland
1 hamilton
1 Central NI
1 Wellington
1 Christchurch
1 Westport\Greymouth

Dunedin\Otago\Southland has less League presence than the West Coast, even with the WCs massive loss of players. But again, do to travel costs it would need massive central funding.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Problem is that every time its tried it has lasted a 2-5 years and then crumbles under the weight of debt. The NZRL doesn't have the money to support. If they had 10-15 million a year to cover the loses it should survive long enough... maybe.

As an aside, while those teams look good as dots on a map, in order of player numbers it should be

1 Northland
4 Auckland
1 hamilton
1 Central NI
1 Wellington
1 Christchurch
1 Westport\Greymouth

Dunedin\Otago\Southland has less League presence than the West Coast, even with the WCs massive loss of players. But again, do to travel costs it would need massive central funding.
If they're acting as direct feeder teams to NRL club, those clubs you'd expect some funding. At a minimum they'd be paying the salary of the fringe players that are contracted to the club - up to 13 high paid players in the 30 man roster- 30 development players- all their travel and expenses.
That will drastically improve the bottom line of those clubs.
Also the profile of those fringe players would help raise their profile, bringing in perhaps a few fans a sponsors.

Overall much more achievable if it's a feeder comp to 2 nrl clubs. Clubs like Melbourne might also use the comp as a feeder comp also.

Te Kaha

First Grade
If they're acting as direct feeder teams to NRL club, those clubs you'd expect some funding. At a minimum they'd be paying the salary of the fringe players that are contracted to the club - up to 13 high paid players in the 30 man roster- 30 development players- all their travel and expenses.
That will drastically improve the bottom line of those clubs.
Also the profile of those fringe players would help raise their profile, bringing in perhaps a few fans a sponsors.

Overall much more achievable if it's a feeder comp to 2 nrl clubs. Clubs like Melbourne might also use the comp as a feeder comp also.

Having the best players stay local would raise the level of the other players and increase depth but it won't happen. Clubs look after what is ever easiest, and by that cheapest. They will cherry pick to death the best and brightest and put them in their own local feeder team. It's cheaper and they can control every aspect of a players development. And if it doesn;t work out, they only need to cut one player.

Perth Red

Post Whore
2 Auckland
1 Hamilton
2 Wellington
1 Christchurch
1 Dunedin
The same way QLD cup
Problem is who pays for it? nsw and qlnd cup only function as nrl puts a lot of money into them and pokies or nrl clubs top up the rest at club level. Where do 7 nz clubs get $2mill a year each from? Where does the nzrl find the money required to run such a comp professionally?

1 Northland
4 Auckland
1 hamilton
1 Central NI
1 Wellington
1 Christchurch
1 Westport\Greymouth

I imagine a big cost is travel.

easy solution is to split into a few areas (divisions) and only come together in the finals.

If not, at least a North Island or Great Aukland league to get started

Gobsmacked

Bench
Having the best players stay local would raise the level of the other players and increase depth but it won't happen. Clubs look after what is ever easiest, and by that cheapest. They will cherry pick to death the best and brightest and put them in their own local feeder team. It's cheaper and they can control every aspect of a players development. And if it doesn;t work out, they only need to cut one player.
The nrl clubs already use multiple feeder clubs. Storm just added North Sydney Bears and I know they use Sunshine Coast falcons can't remember who else but it's done often and effectively.

Matua

Bench
In the early 90s the Lion Red cup was great to follow, but the only people who followed it really were the players families and friends. Hawkes Bay had the Unicorns and my Mum's mate was the treasurer and I'd played schoolboy rugby with a few of the players so I went to lots of games.

Sadly, every NZ national comp that has been implemented has eventually been canned.

The best plan might be just to focus on the Fox Memorial but that will just further concentrate league in Auckland.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I would imagine it working like the Cowboys has it set-up.
Very effective.

Wb1234

Referee

There’s a thread on the tv section titled weidler which has a link to remove paywalls
In the early 90s the Lion Red cup was great to follow, but the only people who followed it really were the players families and friends. Hawkes Bay had the Unicorns and my Mum's mate was the treasurer and I'd played schoolboy rugby with a few of the players so I went to lots of games.

Sadly, every NZ national comp that has been implemented has eventually been canned.

The best plan might be just to focus on the Fox Memorial but that will just further concentrate league in Auckland.
a nz comp isn’t viable

a second and third nrl team will build the platforms to attract kids

nzrl isn’t getting more money from the arlc as it’s an independent body and allegedly had squandered the money it’s been given

the nzrl could come under the banner of the arlc that would result in increased funding

a kiwi should also be on the arlc commission maybe the boss of the nzrl whoever he is

Perth Red

Post Whore
nzrl isn’t getting more money from the arlc as it’s an independent body and allegedly had squandered the money it’s been given
Nzrl funding and sponsorship revenue line went up $1.5mill last year. Nrl has said they are investing more in nz pathways. Coincidence?

Wb1234

Referee
Nzrl funding and sponsorship revenue line went up $1.5mill last year. Nrl has said they are investing more in nz pathways. Coincidence?
That was because of gould when he was at the warriors he convinced them to do it

now he’s left there won’t be anyone with influence pushing for more