What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Some of the trepidation about getting too excited about the current crop is from experience of the Warriors over the years and many long term fans while enjoying the ride are taking a “wait and see” approach as despite what you may think we HAVE seen it all before a few times and it’s a recency bias to think this is the first time.
Era 1 1995- The hype around the Warriors debut was fever pitch from the fan poll to name the team, each new player announcement Warriors merch was everywhere and the hottest item. Then the build up to the first match -EVERY fan remembers exactly where they were that Friday night in March. The team were expected to be the next Broncos but sadly after a slow start a dodgy interchange cost us a playoffs spot and a badly needed boost. 1996 came and interest fizzled.
Era 2 2001 The ‘Auckland Warriors’ went bust and the license became the current NZ Warriors, a new no name coach turns up and scrambles to get a roster together, team surprises everyone and make the playoffs. This then lifts again in 2002 where the Warriors become the most exciting team in the league with a mix of intimidating forwards bullying everyone and the Harlem globetrotter style ‘Warriorball’ backs Storm to the minor premiership and look certain to win the comp, the ‘big warrior forwards’ and ‘Warriorball stereotypes exist to this day. Finals come and thousands of expats line up to show their passports for tickets they fall short but follow it up in 2003 looking again a good chance after destroying the dogs in a semi only to fade against eventual premiers Penrith. The team is NZ team and everyone is on the bandwagon. 2004 the egos of the hype get the better of players and the coach looses the dressing room and the wheels well and truely fall off.
Era 3 2011, basically playing sudden death 10 weeks from the finals the public is along for the ride when exciting prospect Shaun Johnson emerges, Manu is in Career best form, Mateo doing freak things. Freak wins against the Tigers and Storm and suddenly we are in an unlikely gf. I remember the flags flying from cars even in Wellington. 3 grades in the gf, incoming Kiwi coach coming off some mini dominance over Aus and the future looked bright- 6 weeks into 2012 and it was all over.
Era 4 2018, a bunch of kiwi players coming home, a fast start seeing us top of the table and many thinking Kearney had translated his Kangaroo conquering ways to the Warriors- a early finals exit, pissing SJ off and eventually covid then spiralled the team into its lowest point to the point where even die hard fans were finally saying enough is enough and abandoning the team.
Which then brings us to our current era where there were zero expectations on Webby but he more than exceeded expectations. Sure the current ride is amazing but fans also know AFB is gone next year, SJ is a year to year prospect possibly in his last season, Tohu is literally held together by tape and on his last legs, RTS is on his last contract- those are some pretty big shoes to fill, pessimistic perhaps but valid concerns.
The Warriors bandwagon trope is tried and true and it’ll be curious to see how many new fans stick around if results slump.
I have a question....

The NZ Kiwis (national team) has had periods where they have really taken it to the Kangaroos. Specifically 2005 Tri Nations win (24-0 over the Roos in the final), 2008 WC win, 2010 4 Nations win, 2014 4 Nations win, coming within a bee's dick of winning the 2016 4 Nations and the 2023 Pacific Championship win, demolishing the world champion Kangaroos 40-0 in the final... Do these results move the needle in NZ ? Or is it all about the Warriors?

Brian potter

Bench
I have a question....

The NZ Kiwis (national team) has had periods where they have really taken it to the Kangaroos. Specifically 2005 Tri Nations win (24-0 over the Roos in the final), 2008 WC win, 2010 4 Nations win, 2014 4 Nations win, coming within a bee's dick of winning the 2016 4 Nations and the 2023 Pacific Championship win, demolishing the world champion Kangaroos 40-0 in the final... Do these results move the needle in NZ ? Or is it all about the Warriors?
The New Zealand public hardly ever see the kiwis playing on home soil.

Matiunz

Juniors
I have a question....

Kiwis are an odd thing where as @Brian potter said they hardly ever (or at least not consistently) actually play in NZ.
Think also until recently there was only really GB and Aus as competitive nations and apart from the odd upset it was a fairly foregone conclusion that Aus would likely win, coupled with some fairly loose eligibility rules the international game lacked a bit of credibility which I think leads to a bit of apathy with the kiwis.
Circa 2017 with the abysmal WC performance and the Tongan defectors the Kiwis brand was probably at its lowest ever point.
If you look at merch the kiwis jerseys you see in public are rare and dwarfed by Warriors merch, under BLK it was actually pretty hard to even find a kiwis jersey to buy- hopefully the new Dynasty contract changes that.
In Summary the Warriors brand is the stronger and more loved in NZ imo

Matua

Bench
I know it's hard to believe considering his posting style is like a 12 yo trying to impress his first crush, but he claims to be over 50.
Seriously? A 50 year old teenager who pretends to live in a place he doesn't and creates a multi pretending to be from somewhere else. That's sad.

Ah well, he may well have watched the Winfield Cup before me as we only got it fleetingly in NZ in the 80s.

final say

Juniors
Seriously? A 50 year old teenager who pretends to live in a place he doesn't and creates a multi pretending to be from somewhere else. That's sad.

Ah well, he may well have watched the Winfield Cup before me as we only got it fleetingly in NZ in the 80s.
Yet more condescending arrogant dribble with no substance..
It's either that or you can't know anything about NZ unless you were conceived there..
Exciting stuff.

Matua

Bench
Yet more condescending arrogant dribble with no substance..
It's either that or you can't know anything about NZ unless you were conceived there..
Exciting stuff.
You invite condescension as you're unwilling to listen to anything factual that doesn't agree with your view.

You haven't replied with anything of substance, when you do I assume I will not come across as so condescending.

final say

Juniors
You invite condescension as you're unwilling to listen to anything factual that doesn't agree with your view.

You haven't replied with anything of substance, when you do I assume I will not come across as so condescending.
I've stated clear fact indicating the trajectory of Super Rugby ( the premier professional Union comp in the Pacific) and the clear fact that another NRL team is now certain for NZ.. there's overwhelming evidence pointing to Rugby league rising dramatically in NZ currently and into the future. Literally in the hundreds of articles to support this view in this very thread since it's inception.
All the claims made at the very start have been supported with broad in-depth analysis.
Your counter claims are " I'm a kiwi so what I say is the word of god"
Your condescending comes purely from being a kiwi... which is disappointing and a misrepresentation of kiwis I've met in my time there and here that I rather like.
What does add up is your a boomer and a Union geek.. put together means you think you're never wrong and you're better than everyone else- on full display in every one of your posts.

Matua

Bench
I've stated clear fact indicating the trajectory of Super Rugby ( the premier professional Union comp in the Pacific) and the clear fact that another NRL team is now certain for NZ.. there's overwhelming evidence pointing to Rugby league rising dramatically in NZ currently and into the future. Literally in the hundreds of articles to support this view in this very thread since it's inception.
All the claims made at the very start have been supported with broad in-depth analysis.
Your counter claims are " I'm a kiwi so what I say is the word of god"
Your condescending comes purely from being a kiwi... which is disappointing and a misrepresentation of kiwis I've met in my time there and here that I rather like.
What does add up is your a boomer and a Union geek.. put together means you think you're never wrong and you're better than everyone else- on full display in every one of your posts.
You've made up some much B/S on this thread I wouldn't be surprised if you've never met a Kiwi in your life. Pretending to be on holiday in NZ, pretending to live in NZ, pretending to be from NZ hasn't helped your credibility in this thread.

There's only evidence to suggest that the Warriors are on a high right now, and this is why I come across as condescending to you, because it's a high they've been on before, and it's a high that they've dropped from multiple times before, and rather than acknowledging this fact you bluster on throwing jabs at anyone providn you with facts.

Also, I'm not even close to being a boomer.

final say

Juniors
You've made up some much B/S on this thread I wouldn't be surprised if you've never met a Kiwi in your life. Pretending to be on holiday in NZ, pretending to live in NZ, pretending to be from NZ hasn't helped your credibility in this thread.

There's only evidence to suggest that the Warriors are on a high right now, and this is why I come across as condescending to you, because it's a high they've been on before, and it's a high that they've dropped from multiple times before, and rather than acknowledging this fact you bluster on throwing jabs at anyone providn you with facts.

Also, I'm not even close to being a boomer.
This year they've won 1 from 3... and...sold out.
And this isn't just about the Warriors mate, that's just a part of it. Even though they just added a woman NRL team a 5 new development teams.. the game is going gangbusters atm in NZ. Perth red recently shared the junior numbers on the South island where the growth was off the charts and the South Island is a near certainty to get it's very own NRL team.
You can deny my trip to NZ or that I've ever met a kiwi lol and that's ok.
Denial is your speciality.

Vlad59

Juniors
f**k all that pay for it yourself, then bid for a licence..

No one is giving out handouts, unless WA has decided to breakaway from Australia and become a 3rd world country all of a sudden, even then the government wont care to bankroll an NRL team for you
His argument defies logic. Having 4000 juniors in a state with a population of 2.6 million and comparing it to a club like Canterbury which has 12% of that population and a player base of 2600 is just plain stupid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This year they've won 1 from 3... and...sold out.
And this isn't just about the Warriors mate, that's just a part of it. Even though they just added a woman NRL team a 5 new development teams.. the game is going gangbusters atm in NZ. Perth red recently shared the junior numbers on the South island where the growth was off the charts and the South Island is a near certainty to get it's very own NRL team.
You can deny my trip to NZ or that I've ever met a kiwi lol and that's ok.
Denial is your speciality.
Have to agree it finally looks like they are putting the right building blocks in place for warriors. Be good to see them get a stadium upgrade next. I think if Christchurch can get the financial support in place they are Certs to be in when nrl goes to 20. Arlc now needs to get serious about supporting nzrl to get all the structures at grassroots sorted, until we do that we won’t make much of a dent in union there.

final say

Juniors
His argument defies logic. Having 4000 juniors in a state with a population of 2.6 million and comparing it to a club like Canterbury which has 12% of that population and a player base of 2600 is just plain stupid.
They don't have 4000 juniors, that's 4000 total participants total across the entire state. With a decent share of those outside of a full day's drive to Perth
NSW has 100,000 which is around 8000 per club and all within a day's drive to an NRL club.

Perth has less than half, let's say 30% of an average NRL community participation.

If the next licence was based on participation, Perth would be behind PNG, NZ 2, 3 and 4, central Coast, Brisbane 3 and 4, Sunshine Coast ect...
Last argument he wants but bullshits his way through it.

The next licence shouldn't be based on that alone those and I think Perth is a great option, I certainly won't be disappointed if they get in.

And if they don't, it will fill me with joy to think of the disappointment on Perth reds face.

final say

Juniors
Have to agree it finally looks like they are putting the right building blocks in place for warriors. Be good to see them get a stadium upgrade next. I think if Christchurch can get the financial support in place they are Certs to be in when nrl goes to 20. Arlc now needs to get serious about supporting nzrl to get all the structures at grassroots sorted, until we do that we won’t make much of a dent in union there.
Making a dent? Like sold out back to back in Christchurch?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They don't have 4000 juniors, that's 4000 total participants total across the entire state. With a decent share of those outside of a full day's drive to Perth
NSW has 100,000 which is around 8000 per club and all within a day's drive to an NRL club.

Perth has less than half, let's say 30% of an average NRL community participation.

If the next licence was based on participation, Perth would be behind PNG, NZ 2, 3 and 4, central Coast, Brisbane 3 and 4, Sunshine Coast ect...
Last argument he wants but bullshits his way through it.

The next licence shouldn't be based on that alone those and I think Perth is a great option, I certainly won't be disappointed if they get in.

And if they don't, it will fill me with joy to think of the disappointment on Perth reds face.

Incorrect on so many fronts lol
there’s 4,100 players in WA.
Of that around 3,600 are u19.
around 95% of wa players play within a days drive of perth
4100 registered players is on par with many nrl club catchment areas and greater than some