What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matiunz

Juniors
In the 1980s Auckland club rugby league (and some national club rugby league) was televised on FTA and featured many if not most of the Kiwis players who were just as competitive with the Kangaroos as modern day teams are.

It wasn't always like that - I guess somewhat ironically, it was really peaking not long before the Warriors came into the comp. A combination of the Warriors coming in, and all of the transfer restrictions for players being lifted, pretty much meant the end of high profile, high quality local footy.

I'm not saying that it's wrong or that there's a solution to it, just a little counter to those who reckon the game is booming here like never before.

Also as someone who actually goes to Auckland club rugby league most weeks, in truth the biggest clubs in NZ are still tiny little tin pot operations and crowds to games can be counted in the dozens, half of whom (and I say this mostly seriously and only very slightly in jest) are gang affiliates. It is not an environment that screams "this sport is about to be huge".
I remember the Lion red cup showing a game on Sunday afternoon on 2 I think? when I was a kid. As it was pretty much game of the round never really saw the local team (go unicorns) which made them pretty hard to follow. Even the that only lasted like 3 seasons, later on I think the odd bartecard cup was on Maori tv but I never knew what team I was supposed to follow- central vipers maybe? Lol

final say

Juniors
Next 2 Warriors games sold out already, last 2 weeks performances have really put a shot in the arm for the season
Has to be some kind of record. When has a team sitting this low ever sold out so many games?
They started out doing some cheap tickets and deals, now they have created fomo..
Other clubs take note ffs!
Clubs that play at accor could seriously be doing $5 tickets and kids free, there's no reason why not.

Has to be some kind of record. When has a team sitting this low ever sold out so many games?
They started out doing some cheap tickets and deals, now they have created fomo..
Clubs that play at accor could seriously be doing $5 tickets and kids free, there's no reason why not.
How much are accor tickets normally?

final say

Juniors
Pretty mid level, Accor is too big to have any scarcity premium attached to tickets and they offer the tenant clubs pretty favourable terms to keep them there.
I remember for Hazem E last game, they did a special deal and it was this huge crowd.
There's a price point! One we haven't bothered to find!
The AFL did cheap tickets throughout their history, creating a going to the game culture and an atmosphere! The Warriors are doing that!
NRL needs to get onto this.

Depends on the club and some charge more for the bigger games

south’s used to be 80 bucks for an adult

family is usually 120 bucks behind the posts
Was that the most expensive seat or the norm?

Wahs tickets are $20-$50 which sounds like it's on the lower end for what other clubs are charging.

final say

Juniors
Depends on the club and some charge more for the bigger games

south’s used to be 80 bucks for an adult

family is usually 120 bucks behind the posts
Imagine doing that.. knowing you have 82,000 seats to sell..
Sooo stupid! Those bays behind the post should be free , very upper tier free, dead ball area to 20 metres $20 , prime sideline $20 to $50 with kids free for every accompanying adult across the board.
Fill it.
Then try starting at a dollar.. still full? Ok maybe $5 ? Once there's a drop and you don't fill it- that's your price point!

I guarantee that there's 82,000 people who would go to just about most standard games, it's an event, great way to spend some time- no question.
It's just a price point!

Wb1234

Immortal
I remember for Hazem E last game, they did a special deal and it was this huge crowd.
There's a price point! One we haven't bothered to find!
The AFL did cheap tickets throughout their history, creating a going to the game culture and an atmosphere! The Warriors are doing that!
NRL needs to get onto this.
Y lol

Wahs tickets are $20-$50 which sounds like it's on the lower end for what other clubs are charging.
Category one (most expensive)

Cheapest adult ticket is usually 40 bucks

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
Imagine doing that.. knowing you have 82,000 seats to sell..
Sooo stupid! Those bays behind the post should be free , very upper tier free, dead ball area to 20 metres $20 , prime sideline $20 to $50 with kids free for every accompanying adult across the board.
Fill it.
Then try starting at a dollar.. still full? Ok maybe $5 ? Once there's a drop and you don't fill it- that's your price point!

I guarantee that there's 82,000 people who would go to just about most standard games, it's an event, great way to spend some time- no question.
It's just a price point!
Ticket demand maybe be largely inelastic

82k for a club game is a push

but they used to do a match of the round at the scg back every Sunday in the 60s and it got great crowds

Matiunz

Juniors

That’s usually the range I pay for the games in Sydney but there’s also a much higher price point. I mostly sit in the away supporters section (safety in numbers lol) which aren’t the best viewing seats and from memory some of the shittier stadiums like Kogarah are a bit cheaper as there’s like bench seats in some areas/the hill, whereas commbank/Allianz etc have pretty good seating everwhere and are usually a bit more expensive

Matiunz

Juniors
The sitting low thing can be a bit misleading, yes we had a poor month but looking at the current top 8 we’ve beaten Panthers, Dolphins, knights, Raiders- were in a position to beat the Sharks and Storm (lost both by 4), haven’t played the Broncs yet and were only blown off the park by the Roosters.
That’s a decent amount of positive signs to keep the fans coming back, and the last 2 weeks has done wonders in turning those starting to have second thoughts around

final say

Juniors
The sitting low thing can be a bit misleading, yes we had a poor month but looking at the current top 8 we’ve beaten Panthers, Dolphins, knights, Raiders- were in a position to beat the Sharks and Storm (lost both by 4), haven’t played the Broncs yet and were only blown off the park by the Roosters.
That’s a decent amount of positive signs to keep the fans coming back, and the last 2 weeks has done wonders in turning those starting to have second thoughts around
Fair point. The latest victory was ridiculous with that many players out. I'm not sure who's responsible but the depth at the Warriors is off the charts!
Entire spine missing, best centre gone, best prop gone..captain gone..
Once everyone comes back and fresh.. scary! They could still win the whole thing!

Matiunz

Juniors
Fair point. The latest victory was ridiculous with that many players out. I'm not sure who's responsible but the depth at the Warriors is off the charts!
Entire spine missing, best centre gone, best prop gone..captain gone..
Once everyone comes back and fresh.. scary! They could still win the whole thing!
I was surprised to find out we are only 1 win less at the same stage as last year. There’s been a few suggestions the maybe we have been too reliant on the likes of SJ and RTS/ those players have been demanding more of the attacking ball and the others have been getting a chance to do their bit moreso in their absence.
Good to see Webby will have a few selection headaches next round and has hopefully learnt some of his favourites may not necessarily be the best option

Wb1234

Immortal
Standing down afb made a point

he’s been pretty average by his standards

plus dolphins away are always a bit meh

lots of close losses but unlikely to get the same momentum as last year

this year is a good lesson regardless

Latest posts