What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

flippikat

Bench
Get NZ2 in the NRL ASAP and f#ck the warriors off!!

at the very least NZ2 should give the warriors a kick up the @rse.
Christchurch (Canterbury Province) are a fiercely sports-minded part of New Zealand, and nothing gives them more satisfaction than dominating Auckland - in ANY competition.

Sure the Crusaders have been rubbish this year, but just watch them rebound.

I tell ya, an NRL team there with the kinda dogged spirit that province breeds will scare the crap out of the Warriors.

Matiunz

Juniors
Christchurch (Canterbury Province) are a fiercely sports-minded part of New Zealand, and nothing gives them more satisfaction than dominating Auckland - in ANY competition.

Sure the Crusaders have been rubbish this year, but just watch them rebound.

I tell ya, an NRL team there with the kinda dogged spirit that province breeds will scare the crap out of the Warriors.
I’m certainly no fan of anything Canterbury but I’d begrudgingly admit they’d likely be a more professional operation with the Warriors and have a better chance to snag some kiwis players that turn their nose up at the Warriors.
It’d piss me off but at the same time wouldn’t surprise me if they won a comp before the Warriors too

flippikat

Bench
I’m certainly no fan of anything Canterbury but I’d begrudgingly admit they’d likely be a more professional operation with the Warriors and have a better chance to snag some kiwis players that turn their nose up at the Warriors.
It’d piss me off but at the same time wouldn’t surprise me if they won a comp before the Warriors too
As a Wellington sports fan, I know too well the pain of losing to Christchurch based teams, and yeah it breeds a real dislike of them.. but that's Christchurch - they're a sports city whereas Wellington is an arts city, and they do sports damn well.

Wb1234

Referee
Someone posted this on an English forum :

“recent survey of teenagers in New Zealand listed their Top 3 sports as.

NRL

NBA

English Premiership Soccer “

anybody have the survey or is it bs ?

flippikat

Bench

Npc struggling to fill teams with only kiwi talent

While this is bad for NZ rugby, it'll reap dividends for other countries - which is REALLY bad for NZ RU.

Having players with that "total immersion" experience of NZ Provincial RU will really open their eyes to how our grassroots breeds strength at Super Rugby & Test level.

When they go back to their home nations, it'll add to the knowledge & skill pool they have.

Wb1234

Referee
While this is bad for NZ rugby, it'll reap dividends for other countries - which is REALLY bad for NZ RU.

Having players with that "total immersion" experience of NZ Provincial RU will really open their eyes to how our grassroots breeds strength at Super Rugby & Test level.

When they go back to their home nations, it'll add to the knowledge & skill pool they have.
Tane edmed is a gun
Son of an ex league player too

would make an excellent half in league

flippikat

Bench
Tane edmed is a gun
Son of an ex league player too

would make an excellent half in league
If I was NZ Rugby I'd be horribly worried about an influx of players to NPC level.

Super Rugby is one thing, and I've long thought the future there is an open & salary capped player market - it's elite level anyway, and why shouldn't All Blacks be able to play for any non-NZ Super Rugby team? (or vice versa for Wallabies, or Japanese test players). It's fully-pro level, they deserve that option.

BUT letting an increasing number of other countries talent into grassroots systems is gonna screw up their sport.

But hey, that could well be good for OUR game. :)

Wb1234

Referee
If I was NZ Rugby I'd be horribly worried about an influx of players to NPC level.

Super Rugby is one thing, and I've long thought the future there is an open & salary capped player market - BUT letting an increasing number of other countries talent into grassroots systems is gonna screw up their sport.

But hey, that could well be good for OUR game. :)
Nzru should allow kiwi players to play super rugby in Australia

helps Aussie sides be competitive and improves all black depth

flippikat

Bench
Nzru should allow kiwi players to play super rugby in Australia

helps Aussie sides be competitive and improves all black depth
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.

Long term you'd have Super Rugby as a Pacific Rim competition (a team in LA or Hawaii, a team in japan, a team in Argentina plus the existing NZ/Aus/Pacific teams) - with players from any participating country able to play for ANY Super Rugby team & still qualify for their nation's test team.

With local feeder competitions in Japan, USA, Argentina, NZ etc sitting under that

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.

Long term you'd have Super Rugby as a Pacific Rim competition (a team in LA or Hawaii, a team in japan, a team in Argentina plus the existing NZ/Aus/Pacific teams) - with players from any participating country able to play for ANY Super Rugby team & still qualify for their nation's test team.

With local feeder competitions in Japan, USA, Argentina, NZ etc sitting under that
If Aussie clubs could get some all blacks it would change the trajectory of the sport here

flippikat

Bench
If Aussie clubs could get some all blacks it would change the trajectory of the sport here
Thankfully, they haven't found the formula that makes all the pieces fit.

The Americas (USA, Canada & to a degree Argentina) & Asia (read: Japan) have long been the twin goldmines that RU in New Zealand just hasn't ever figured how to exploit.

The money, athletic talent & potential viewers are ALL there - but they just can't figure out how to sell their game, let alone come up with competition structures that make sense (especially from player welfare & viewing timeslot angles), AND slot-in well with existing grassroot competitions (club rugby in Australia, club rugby & NPC in NZ).

Hopefully they're still trying to figure it out in 20 years time.

Matua

Bench

Npc struggling to fill teams with only kiwi talent
We lose a lot of players to the NH which seems to be hitting a critical mass at the moment, but some teams have made decisions to import players, when often they don't need too. My province has brought in two Aussies, a Welshman and a Namibian and none of them are an improvement on who we had last year, and that's the justification from the coaches, that our backs were poor last year. Two of our backs are in Aussie this year as they play for Oz super teams. Anyway, I'd much rather they promote young local guys, most fans feel the same, and the organisation is copping it a bit on their socials.

Although TBF, in any given year there's always a few Aussies playing the comp, it just seems to be more this year.

I'm not generally in favour of NZers playing for other countries Super teams. We have the issue with some NZ coaches running players into the ground, we'd lose all control over that if they playing in Oz. If it did happen I'd want them to be covered under a NZ focused player agreement.

Unfortunately the article is paywalled so can't read exactly what Cully has to say.

Wb1234

Referee
Thankfully, they haven't found the formula that makes all the pieces fit.

The Americas (USA, Canada & to a degree Argentina) & Asia (read: Japan) have long been the twin goldmines that RU in New Zealand just hasn't ever figured how to exploit.

The money, athletic talent & potential viewers are ALL there - but they just can't figure out how to sell their game, let alone come up with competition structures that make sense (especially from player welfare & viewing timeslot angles), AND slot-in well with existing grassroot competitions (club rugby in Australia, club rugby & NPC in NZ).

Hopefully they're still trying to figure it out in 20 years time.
If they don’t do something I doubt super rugby has 20 years

flippikat

Bench
Unfortunately the article is paywalled so can't read exactly what Cully has to say.
Here ya go:
-----

Why the NPC will have an Australian flavour this year​

- Paul Culley
  • Two provinces, North Harbour and Southland, will be led by Aussie No 10s.
  • Waratahs playmaker Tane Edmed headlines group from across the ditch.
  • Development poses depth questions for 14-team competition.
New Zealand’s premier domestic rugby competition will have an international feel this year.

Japanese front-rowers Yato Kamimori and Kazuki Kato have landed in Wellington, Welshman Mat Protheroe and Namibian Le Roux Malan will feature for Hawke’s Bay, and English import Charlie Powell has made his way down to Southland.
But the major influx has come from Australia, with more than a dozen players swapping their thongs for jandals to have a crack in New Zealand.

As first reported by The Post in June, North Harbour have landed the highest-profile Australian signing, with Waratahs No 10 Tane Edmed replacing Bryn Gatland in the No 10 jersey.
Southland have also looked to Australia in the key position, signing Jake Strachan from the Melbourne Rebels.
In Napier, Australian coach Brock James has signed Brumbies outside back Ben O’Donnell and former Rebel Lukas Ripley.

North Harbour chief executive Adrian Donald told The Post that Edmed would add plenty of quality and leadership to replace Bryn Gatland and Jack Heighton, who was forced into early retirement due to head trauma.
But Donald said that it had been their preference to sign a New Zealand player.

“We've got a philosophy within the union that we’re very big on trying to promote players and talent out of our community club system,” he said.
“First and foremost, we want to go local. But in some instances you just can't find the right player in that region, specifically around props and No 9s and No 10s.”

The search continued within New Zealand, but a play for young Blues No 10 Lucas Cashmore was unsuccessful, with the talented playmaker re-signing for the Bay of Plenty.

That led Harbour to look overseas, and Edmed was looking for an opportunity after a frustrating season with the Waratahs.

Donald outlined the three key factors behind Edmed’s recruitment.

First, the gap between club rugby and provincial rugby was growing; second, players in their prime such as Gatland were being given “eye-watering” offers in places such as Japan; third; there was a feast or famine distribution of players in some positions throughout the country.

For example, Cashmore and fellow Chiefs playmaker Kaleb Trask will compete for game time at the Bay of Plenty, and in Otago the Highlanders’ No 10s Cameron Millar and Ajay Faleafaga will do likewise.

That means that Edmed is unlikely to be the last Australian in the NPC.

“We believe that he'll give us good depth in the position at 10,” Donald said.

“But he'll also act as a guide to Oscar Koller and a young guy [Cameron Howell] that we've brought into our environment.”

Australian players confirmed for this season’s NPC​

Tane Edmed (North Harbour)
Ben Grant (North Harbour)
Ben O’Donnell (Hawke’s Bay)
Lukas Ripley (Hawke’s Bay)
Jake Strachan (Southland)
Lachie Albert (Southland)
Byron Smith (Southland)
Tuaina Taii Tualima (Auckland)
Ola Tauelangi (Auckland)
George Blake (Manawatū)
Lachlan Shaw (Manawatū)