What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not inevitable at all. Unless the NRL are paying for it, it won't happen. Clubs aren't flying 20 reserves around the country every other week and putting them in hotels by choice.
And to do that, then you're going to have to pay them to be full-time!
NRL has the money to pay for it. Clubs can now afford the running costs and the NRL can afford the comp costs. There is a very strong argument that having a reserve grade side under a clubs coaching, facilities and training programs will produce more NRL ready talent than farming out players to second tier clubs. Its no surprise the NSW cup team usually beats the QRL cup team in the end of season cup final.

Gobsmacked

Bench
NRL has the money to pay for it. Clubs can now afford the running costs and the NRL can afford the comp costs. There is a very strong argument that having a reserve grade side under a clubs coaching, facilities and training programs will produce more NRL ready talent than farming out players to second tier clubs. Its no surprise the NSW cup team usually beats the QRL cup team in the end of season cup final.
Pfff nonsense, the season cup finals have been close and don't point to anything other than the fact more NRL players are spred over fewer clubs. The fringe NRL players plying their trade in the Q cup aren't coming back to NRL any less equipped then their NSW cup counterparts.
We've had a reserve comp before and it was just a pointless game that has no motivation or intrest.

Man! Having a pom in Western Australia tell us about bringing though talent in Queensland and NSW is so f**king ridiculous.
You do realise that these parts of this country produce more Rugby talent across both codes than the rest of the world combined?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They have been “close” he says.
he suggest as I am in WA I shouldn't have an opinion, then shows he has no idea about what we are talking about lol
I was being generous by not saying the QRL teams get battered most years. What the result shows is that having genuine reserve grade teams produces better players than farming out players to numerous teams not under your management.

jim_57

Staff member
he suggest as I am in WA I shouldn't have an opinion, then shows he has no idea about what we are talking about lol
I was being generous by not saying the QRL teams get battered most years. What the result shows is that having genuine reserve grade teams produces better players than farming out players to numerous teams not under your management.

Well not really. It just shows that spreading reserve players from 4.5 NRL clubs over 13 QCup teams (not including Hunters & Clydesdales) means those teams won’t be as strong as spreading the other 12.5 NRL clubs’ reserve players over 13 NSW Cup teams.

Matiunz

Juniors
Agreed. What even if the point of it? It ruins 2 existing comps, and clubs aren't going to want to pay the costs of it. It seems like a ploy to take away power and influence from the state bodies.
Howd the State leagues comps run when the old ARL reserve grade was running?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well not really. It just shows that spreading reserve players from 4.5 NRL clubs over 13 QCup teams (not including Hunters & Clydesdales) means those teams won’t be as strong as spreading the other 12.5 NRL clubs’ reserve players over 13 NSW Cup teams.
Isnt that just confirming what I’ve said? The quality is different Ergo the quality of players produced in a stronger comp is different?

Gobsmacked

Bench
They have been “close” he says.
Firstly, these are all margins that team win and lose by within their own League's regularly. The NRL finals are decided by margins akin to this.
Then you specifically cut it back so it didn't show the results where the Queensland team actually won...