What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matiunz

Juniors
Warriors drop off the cliff (again) isnt due to the odd ref mistake.
I try not to buy into the whole ‘ref screwed us’ mentality as I know every fan feels that way about their own team and it’s very hard to be subjective when your cheering for a team.
However it’s the really subjective calls that are puzzling and tend to appear differently interpreted in the case of the Warriors.
Just this year I’ve seen the Warriors cop 2 penalties where the ref has gone back multiple play the balls to award only once the attacking team has made an error- I have not seen that done in any other games but it’s happened to us twice this year.
I’ve seen a pretty damming breakdown of the rate of Warriors binned for high tackles/ dangerous contact is staggeringly higher than that when the same fouls are committed against us. Also with the way games are managed stats look relatively even but we tend to get early tackle 6 agains in poor position vs opposition getting them late in the count/legs up etc.
It’s not just us as I’ve seen teams like the Tigers/Raiders/Titans cop some shockers but we definitely tend to have more than our fair share of Monday apologies (that are hollow and empty as it doesn’t change nor help anything)

taste2taste

Juniors
The Warriors don't get any 50/50 calls.The refs know they won't feel any heat from across the ditch.

If a Sydney team was getting all these bad calls it would be front page news.

flippikat

Bench
I'd like to see the return of a semi-pro NZ comp, but it would only work if it was at the 3rd tier. The NZ NRL clubs need their feeders playing againnst Aussies inn Reserve Grade or state cups plus the age grade comps.
The big 2 problems with an NZ comp running at 3rd tier is that the playing stock isn't going to be recognizable names, and cost (especially transport) is quite a bill to cover.

While the old Lion Red Cup had some great branding (especially some cool team names & jerseys), it couldn't surmount those issues.

That's why the current setup is workable - mostly local club competitions, with a limited provincial season after that. The costs are just more manageable that way.

Wb1234

Referee
The big 2 problems with an NZ comp running at 3rd tier is that the playing stock isn't going to be recognizable names, and cost (especially transport) is quite a bill to cover.

While the old Lion Red Cup had some great branding (especially some cool team names & jerseys), it couldn't surmount those issues.

That's why the current setup is workable - mostly local club competitions, with a limited provincial season after that. The costs are just more manageable that way.
Two nrl teams with juniors from under 16 to open age all playing in the Aussie systems

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

The provincial season is probably close enough to what I’m talking about. Has the bonus that it’s a model NZers are familiar with as rugby has always been a provincial model.

Wb1234

Referee
Nah they probably are. Auckland is nearly 1/3 of NZs population and it’s always been the strongest league area. At times it’s probably been more than 50% of the player base.
Nah they probably are. Auckland is nearly 1/3 of NZs population and it’s always been the strongest league area. At times it’s probably been more than 50% of the player base.
He’s saying 50 percent of all nrl players lol

he’s mixed up the stat that 40 percent of all nrl players are kiwi or islander

BuffaloRules

Coach
They rarely complain about it that’s why they get dudded

wait till it happens to western every week then you will get it

I remember last year the Warriors sponsor spat the dummy about the referring and they then got looked after for a while …

He has been quiet this year

Wb1234

Referee

flippikat

Bench
Two nrl teams with juniors from under 16 to open age all playing in the Aussie systems
To be honest, NZ would probably be one of the biggest beneficiaries of bringing back Under-20s and/or Reserve Grade - as a stepping stone between the local scene & the "big time" they'd be very handy. The local scene has little-to-no profile with the general public anyway, so arguably little loss.

On the other side of the fence, Queensland & NSW Cups would take a hit - because that's a lot of talent suddenly sucked out of them - and potentially reducing that to 3rd tier (under NRL First Grade & Reserves) would be challenging.

It'd be especially tough on the Queensland Cup which has far more travel (and cost involved with travel) then the NSW Cup - even considering the Warriors presence in NSW Cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NRL restores U20s & Reserves that Queensland Cup splits up & we get a Brisbane Premiership again, plus local leagues operating their own competitions (basically a splintering of Queensland Cup).

Wb1234

Referee
To be honest, NZ would probably be one of the biggest beneficiaries of bringing back Under-20s and/or Reserve Grade - as a stepping stone between the local scene & the "big time" they'd be very handy.

On the other side of the fence, Queensland & NSW Cups would take a hit - because that's a lot of talent suddenly sucked out of them - and potentially reducing that to 3rd tier (under NRL First Grade & Reserves) would be challenging.

It'd be especially tough on the Queensland Cup which has far more travel (and cost involved with travel) then the NSW Cup - even considering the Warriors presence in NSW Cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NRL restores U20s & Reserves that Queensland Cup splits up & we get a Brisbane Premiership again, plus local leagues operating their own competitions (basically a splintering of Queensland Cup).
Qld and nsw leagues are dinosaurs which should be punted into the sun

national reserve grade will be a great step

BuffaloRules

Coach
I agree that QLd and NSW Leagues are dinosaurs … but they seem to have a lot of power .., PVL obviously finds it easier just to throw money at them to shut them up…

BTW … the NRL seems pretty flush with money of late… wonder if they are keeping something to themselves about the next TV deal ? We know the sports betting revenue might be about to head south

Perth Red

Post Whore
To be honest, NZ would probably be one of the biggest beneficiaries of bringing back Under-20s and/or Reserve Grade - as a stepping stone between the local scene & the "big time" they'd be very handy. The local scene has little-to-no profile with the general public anyway, so arguably little loss.

NSW cup wouldnt. By time Western Bears come in there'll only be two clubs in NSW cup that are not in effect full NRL reserve grade teams (Jets and Blacktown).
QRL cup it is much more problematic but Dolphins now have a full reserve grade side in Redcliffe and Titans and Cowboys both want one. There's only Broncos holding out at this time.

Wb1234

Referee
I agree that QLd and NSW Leagues are dinosaurs … but they seem to have a lot of power .., PVL obviously finds it easier just to throw money at them to shut them up…

BTW … the NRL seems pretty flush with money of late… wonder if they are keeping something to themselves about the next TV deal ? We know the sports betting revenue might be about to head south
Nrl profits constantly running at 60 million pa

next tv deal clubs and players will get at least 2 / 3 rd of the gain

nrl making loads of new money from non broadcast sources like higher magic round revenues and Vegas

Wb1234

Referee
NSW cup wouldnt. By time Western Bears come in there'll only be two clubs in NSW cup that are not in effect full NRL reserve grade teams (Jets and Blacktown).
QRL cup it is much more problematic but Dolphins now have a full reserve grade side in Redcliffe and Titans and Cowboys both want one. There's only Broncos holding out at this time.
Qrl and nswrl can veto any changes by the arlc

not sure if clubs and arlc can vote them out

Perth Red

Post Whore
Qrl and nswrl can veto any changes by the arlc

not sure if clubs and arlc can vote them out
No they cant, their voting seat on the commission is in the constitution. To change the constitution would need them to agree! If the NRl needs the ARLC to take it to vote to return reserve grade or not Im not sure. I guess given the expense involved they would need to ratify the budget on it. Clubs will like it, they'll demand more money for something they are already doing and feather their nests a bit more.

Latest posts