What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bumping all these previous comments would be hella funny

ie sky are going to cut the nz tv deal
Chch is no chance at a second team
Rl juniors are collapsing
Warriors crowds will fall if they don’t make the finals

comedy gold
ie sky are going to cut the nz tv deal - we won’t know if true or not till next deal is done
Chch is no chance at a second team- we won’t know this until expansion is announced
Rl juniors are collapsing- haven’t seen any nz registration stats to say either way?
Warriors crowds will fall if they don’t make the finals - only one we can actually confirm as incorrect lol

Gobsmacked

Bench
ie sky are going to cut the nz tv deal - we won’t know if true or not till next deal is done
Chch is no chance at a second team- we won’t know this until expansion is announced
Rl juniors are collapsing- haven’t seen any nz registration stats to say either way?
Warriors crowds will fall if they don’t make the finals - only one we can actually confirm as incorrect lol
We won't know if Saturday day will come either.. just wait and see I guess LOL
In other news...o there wasn't, nothing about Perth and an article on NZ 2 and a compelling 1 at that.
I smell fear.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Well you'd think, BUT....

MEDIA stories have a decent amount of weight (and thus can gain momentum) to influence decision making - I mean, just look at how News Ltd is pretty much creaming over the Western Bears bid, which echoes through social media & bounces back and forth between big media & social - in a kind of ping-pong.

Next cab off the rank, media reports start talking about the Ipswich/Newtown Jets bid - and sure enough THAT starts taking off online.

Long story short, news stories & forums are intertwined, and bounce off each other.
Well if it's media attention you're concerned with, looks like the only expansion area in the news today...

Gobsmacked

Bench
Apart from the fact this article states pretty much everything I've been saying for almost 2 years...this part is particularly pleasing..

" League has one critical blow left to strike."

Perth Red

Post Whore
We won't know if Saturday day will come either.. just wait and see I guess LOL
In other news...o there wasn't, nothing about Perth and an article on NZ 2 and a compelling 1 at that.
I smell fear.
IMG_1977.jpeg
until, something does or do not happen you can’t say if it’s a fact.

Wb1234

Immortal

Compare that to the shthole western will be calling home

and it’s fully roofed too

Matiunz

Juniors
Just googled those grounds in nelson and invercargill wouldn’t be great for an nrl game

maybe pre season games

Good idea to be a genuine South Island team though
Both cities only have a population of 50-60k so your not going to get the best infrastructure but both host NPC games and regular one off Super Rugby games. I’m sure They’ll be fine for the odd one if games and no worse than say Dubbo that gets the odd game

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl granting a license to a team that plays In a basic dump and you are questioning whether chch should get a team playing in the Taj Mahal

it’ll be one of the best grounds in the nrl
lol yeh a stadium comparison is literally the only criteria nrl are considering for the expansion spots. Cuckoo

Wb1234

Immortal
Both cities only have a population of 50-60k so your not going to get the best infrastructure but both host NPC games and regular one off Super Rugby games. I’m sure They’ll be fine for the odd one if games and no worse than say Dubbo that gets the odd game
12 home games a year minus one for magic round.

Dunedin needs to get a few cause it’s stadium is so good

doesn’t leave a lot for chch it would almost be on par with how many super rugby games are played

maybe kiwi sides don’t play magic anymore it won’t work with 20 teams anyway

Wb1234

Immortal
lol yeh a stadium comparison is literally the only criteria nrl are considering for the expansion spots. Cuckoo
What’s one of the big criteria img are using to rank clubs In super league ?

having a stadium like that is a huge advantage it’s why they are going there and not Wellington

plus they beat you on juniors tv value crowds too

Matiunz

Juniors
I enjoy both codes so while it was good see a long time union journo finally acknowledge the strength of RL here, it was very sobering to read it in the context of, and compared to, RU's struggles here.

Something Paul doesnt touch on is NZ and SA's recent agreement to re-establish full tours. Its being reported as a return to good old days, and a significant money spinner... which it is, and as a fan I cant wait. But under the surface, its also indicative of the code's fragmented approach to revenue growth, and yet another example of the self-interest inherent amongst the major unions.

Because while its great news for SA and NZ, it freezes out their SANZAAR partners by diluting the Rugby Championship schedule during tour years. RA has been offered an ANZAC test at least, but dunno what (if anything) Argentina will get in return. They'll both be fking pissed. Not exactly great for a partnership meant to present a unified SH front against similarly self centered NH unions.

So mixed emotions if I'm honest. But cant deny any of it. Even the AB's are struggling under a coach who (IMO) is woefully out of his depth. Hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.
Couple of big sliding door moments for both codes that could have long term ramifications.
NZ 2 is a must if they want to increase profile, but another must is that they set up strong structure and Admin from the top to the very bottom.
Recent development with the to big uk Union comps looking at merging could see SA getting the chop and needing a new home which could reignite a bit more interest in Super Rugby.
International game is the big card that League needs to up its game still (a few baby steps with the Pacific nations cup).
And although in theory Leagues ‘simplified’ rules should be its greatest strength, the interpretation and application of these rules is still a massive sore point for many fans that needs a better solution.

Matiunz

Juniors
12 home games a year minus one for magic round.

Dunedin needs to get a few cause it’s stadium is so good

doesn’t leave a lot for chch it would almost be on par with how many super rugby games are played

maybe kiwi sides don’t play magic anymore it won’t work with 20 teams anyway
Foresyth Barr in Dunedin is a great stadium and should be the priority for games outside of CHCH particularly as Dunedin is the 2nd biggest SI city. That doesn’t necessarily mean Nelson and Invercargill miss out but you can’t tick every box every year so agree a trial is probably an easier solution but it doesn’t rule them out from the odd regular season game either.
Magic round I think they just need to alternate teams home and away status. Seems ridiculous that the Broncs will have it as an away game while the likes of the Warriors will have it as a home game (although by their own choice for the financial benefits) having alternate years seems fairer

Gobsmacked

Bench
Foresyth Barr in Dunedin is a great stadium and should be the priority for games outside of CHCH particularly as Dunedin is the 2nd biggest SI city. That doesn’t necessarily mean Nelson and Invercargill miss out but you can’t tick every box every year so agree a trial is probably an easier solution but it doesn’t rule them out from the odd regular season game either.
Magic round I think they just need to alternate teams home and away status. Seems ridiculous that the Broncs will have it as an away game while the likes of the Warriors will have it as a home game (although by their own choice for the financial benefits) having alternate years seems fairer
I think Christchurch with 2 games in Dunedin would be the way to go. Maybe some fan days at those other places. I wonder if they would enter a team in nsw cup and jersey fleg ect. Those might be suitable locations for the feeder teams? Or the odd game?

Latest posts