What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Vlad59

Bench
I have to admit, I wasn't sure on Vlandys when he first got the gig - but he's impressed me at how he's managed to get the game to grow & face up to expansion while keeping the traditionalists satisfied.

The next 3 expansion teams are gonna be a huge part of his legacy, and I hope like hell he sees the golden opportunity to really attack rugby union in one of it's strongholds with a 2nd NZ NRL club.

For so long we've been reactive, reacting to (mostly) the threat from AFL - perceived or real... but NZ 2 is a chance to be PROACTIVE and attack a rival while they're weak - and a rival that has juniors with transferable skills that can come across to our game!
Jesus man I live in a rugby league wasteland. Vlandys is the only administrator we’ve had who has been prepared to stand up for the game and make us feel proud. If he puts a team in WA (which he will) and another in NZ then I’m a happy man. The afl is running out of options and are putting a team in my home state against their better judgement. It’s a bad option. Tassie is a basket case. Meanwhile We have to get it right and become the dominant code in the southern hemisphere and put new clubs in the best strategic places.

Diesel

Referee
Jesus man I live in a rugby league wasteland. Vlandys is the only administrator we’ve had who has been prepared to stand up for the game and make us feel proud. If he puts a team in WA (which he will) and another in NZ then I’m a happy man. The afl is running out of options and are putting a team in my home state against their better judgement. It’s a bad option. Tassie is a basket case. Meanwhile We have to get it right and become the dominant code in the southern hemisphere and put new clubs in the best strategic places.
RL is encroaching on RU’s traditional territory in the pacific islands. Fiji plays NSW Cup, Samoa and Tonga are getting stronger on the international stage, there’s more interest. While not big markets, they’re growing, whereas union is stagnant or going backwards

Vlad59

Bench
RL is encroaching on RU’s traditional territory in the pacific islands. Fiji plays NSW Cup, Samoa and Tonga are getting stronger on the international stage, there’s more interest. While not big markets, they’re growing, whereas union is stagnant or going backwards
And that’s why the NRL should ignore football shitholes like mine and focus on genuine new markets. Union is stuffed and has been for over a decade. As you say we are advancing all over the South Pacific and that will help the player pool fill up a 20-22 team comp with clubs from 2, 3 and maybe 4 countries. Good days ahead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the Samoa and tongan int sides improvements (of mostly Aussies and kiwis) making any difference to the interest in the games in the actual islands? Any player numbers from those places?

jim_57

Staff member
If they really wanna get into the American market, Hawaii could possibly be a first step. A bit less distance to travel than the American mainland anyway.

From what I understand Hawaii has closed their main stadium to spectators but the plan is to build a new 25k stadium capable of hosting football and rugby by 2028. When that is built it might be worth a look for NRL clubs as well, no professional sports teams so won’t exactly be overflowing with content.

I’m not suggesting the NRL is popular in any real way there at the moment but if there is still in interest in oversees games and the US market then it adds a ‘close’ option. It also fits within a strategy to grow the game in the Pacific.

Vlad59

Bench
Is the Samoa and tongan int sides improvements (of mostly Aussies and kiwis) making any difference to the interest in the games in the actual islands? Any player numbers from those places?
Last figures were 1500 in Tonga in 2007 that I can find. Not very helpful

MugaB

Coach
Just reading your post makes it clear what a mess it is. They’ve completely fecked it up. They’ve lost SA. They’ve added and then thrown out Argentina and Japan. And the quality has diminished. Rugby league’s professionalism, the quality of the games and the endless controversy has left union with nowhere to go. Vlandys has not been perfect but gee he’s done a great job overall.
Not saying NRL should do it, but is there any issue with an SAfrica nrl team, timezone, distance etc, they have 4 RU teams, at one stage 5, we would only need one, (ala just like the warriors in NZ amongst the 5 NZRUteams they had in 95)

Wb1234

Immortal
Not saying NRL should do it, but is there any issue with an SAfrica nrl team, timezone, distance etc, they have 4 RU teams, at one stage 5, we would only need one, (ala just like the warriors in NZ amongst the 5 NZRUteams they had in 95)
Games would be on the middle of the night here

Vlad59

Bench
Anything is possible except for the fact the SARFU would kill any chance of it happening. Their track record is ugly

Gobsmacked

Bench
Lots of people say that the demise of Super Rugby was the withdrawal of SA and it might be the case but even when they were included it was far from ideal!
Imagine options for teams being so sparse that you're flying them in from the other side of the planet !
I'm happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure SA managed to squash Rugby league there and still actively curtail any progress from Rugby league. Like France but far worse and recent.

Vlad59

Bench
Lots of people say that the demise of Super Rugby was the withdrawal of SA and it might be the case but even when they were included it was far from ideal!
Imagine options for teams being so sparse that you're flying them in from the other side of the planet !
I'm happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure SA managed to squash Rugby league there and still actively curtail any progress from Rugby league. Like France but far worse and recent.
Union will kill any attempt to penetrate SA by league. Always has. Always will.