What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Immortal
Because two of the known bids had very sketchy funding models.

Yes I continue to underestimate how badly run they are, to change a tender requirement this significantly post submission is farcical.

Its actually a poor outcome for the new clubs, its taking significant resources away from a new clubs that could have been used to strengthen their start up and build better pathways.
Smacks of the BS travel imposition that caused the last expansion disaster.
A league
MLS
Etc

It’s not unique to rugby league

These licenses will one day be worth hundreds of millions of dollars as the money keeps going up

BuffaloRules

Coach
A league
MLS
Etc

It’s not unique to rugby league

These licenses will one day be worth hundreds of millions of dollars as the money keeps going up

There is speculation the NBA are getting 4 Billion plus expansion fees for their new team (s) …

They should pay something to join the NRL .. these are privately owned teams we are talking about in Perth and NZ …why should these businessmen acquire something that has value for nothing ?

Wb1234

Immortal
There is speculation the NBA are getting 4 Billion plus expansion fees for their new team (s) …

They should pay something to join the NRL .. these are privately owned teams we are talking about in Perth and NZ …why should these businessmen acquire something that has value for nothing ?
Money in American sports is crazy

Gobsmacked

Bench

It is a franchise model that pretty much all franchisees pay a fee for a stake. The NRL are in a strong enough position now to demand a fee. And I'm a fan of this new direction. If we want the game to grow, we need to except that it's a financial matter as much as anything. We won't expand by going broke! I'm also a fan of holding the grand final at the most prosperous venue.
Buying hotels.. common! This is the best administration ever! By a long way! The NRL is going to be a behemoth!

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is a franchise model that pretty much all franchisees pay a fee for a stake. The NRL are in a strong enough position now to demand a fee. And I'm a fan of this new direction. If we want the game to grow, we need to except that it's a financial matter as much as anything. We won't expand by going broke! I'm also a fan of holding the grand final at the most prosperous venue.
Buying hotels.. common! This is the best administration ever! By a long way! The NRL is going to be a behemoth!
Ironic that the model you now love pretty much guarantees there will never be a NZ2 club lol

Gobsmacked

Bench
Ironic that the model you now love pretty much guarantees there will never be a NZ2 club lol
Ironic that you think after decades as the head administrator for Rugby league and Union that David Moffitt escaped without any contacts for people in that position lol .
Literally spent decades doing deals and hanging out in corporate boxes with billionaires lol
O but you have the bloke from Cashies lmao

Wb1234

Immortal
Ironic that you think after decades as the head administrator for Rugby league and Union that David Moffitt escaped without any contacts for people in that position lol .
Literally spent decades doing deals and hanging out in corporate boxes with billionaires lol
O but you have the bloke from Cashies lmao
Not anymore they don’t
Arlc kicked Cummins to the curb

flippikat

First Grade
While the collapse of the Western Bears bid is getting all the attention, recent developments really have me worried for NZ 2.

Do the NRL still wanna take-it to rugby union in their stronghold or what?!?

Matiunz

Juniors
NZ2 needs to happen asap ! The amount of talent in NZ is staggering! With all the players out through injuries, they name a quality side with 6 debutantes! All quality!

Think you’re over selling it a bit- great to see from fresh blood but in all honesty most of these players are picked due to 11 kiwis players being either injured or unavailable through suspension rather than form demanding inclusion.
Half of the debutants are Australian born or in Crosslands case moved there at primary school so can’t really attribute it to NZ league.
Riki would be the main success story though, NZ2 will still face the same issues the Warriors do in convincing local talent they’re the best option

Matiunz

Juniors
While the collapse of the Western Bears bid is getting all the attention, recent developments really have me worried for NZ 2.

The comments about no bid being there yet makes me wonder if the NRL will wait for them to be ready or force their own bids in strategically important locations?
NZ2 I became a bit worried about with the Warriors slump this year- although the crowds remained I wondered if it would worry the NRL about the competitiveness of nz2 and a wait and see approach to see if the crowds remained next season. Warriors health ‘shouldn’t’ have an effect on NZ2s viability but in reality it probably does.
NRL can carry 1 risky expansion team but if that becomes 2 or 3 then it may cause a re-think.

Wb1234

Immortal

Nz2 might not have to pay a license fee

Perth govt are desperate and pvl knows how to take advantage of it

Essentially clubs don’t need huge capital backing with how high the grant is to each club vs cap

Let them sort out wa and png then see how nz stands

MugaB

Coach

Nope, they couldn't care less, keep on trucking upwards, let them implode from being irrelevant in comparison, if there is a great bid, and all 3 chch investors (separate bids) come together and fresh out their differences the nrl will get on board, as much as I like the idea of nz2, Warriors are doing enough right now, can we do more? He'll yes, but the egos need to hash it out and become a real NZ2, not this one off strengths each have, there's one who is all money, one who is currently the juniors , and another that's just branding (keas) need all three to be useful

Gobsmacked

Bench
Nope, they couldn't care less, keep on trucking upwards, let them implode from being irrelevant in comparison, if there is a great bid, and all 3 chch investors (separate bids) come together and fresh out their differences the nrl will get on board, as much as I like the idea of nz2, Warriors are doing enough right now, can we do more? He'll yes, but the egos need to hash it out and become a real NZ2, not this one off strengths each have, there's one who is all money, one who is currently the juniors , and another that's just branding (keas) need all three to be useful
We don't know how any of those bids stack up today but I will say David Moffitt in very well connected and the Kea redesigned their logo just before they came under the NDA .
Having spent years in the top administrative role, he'll know exactly what they are looking for.
My money is on the Kea.

MugaB

Coach
We don't know how any of those bids stack up today but I will say David Moffitt in very well connected and the Kea redesigned their logo just before they came under the NDA .
Having spent years in the top administrative role, he'll know exactly what they are looking for.
My money is on the Kea.
My moneys on none if them if they don't unite, PVL wants heritage, so the junior club is the forerunner, problem is, probably has zero funds in comparison to the other 2

Wb1234

Immortal
My money is on the Kea.
Moffat was a terrible boss for the nrl and even worse boss for the wru killing off many existing clubs with mergers that haven’t worked

Latest posts