What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand Team Announced

Poul

Juniors
Not a bad squad. However, I think they've picked too many "small" players,u.t. Hohaia, Fien, Perrett, Leuluai. For the Kiwis to match the 'Roos and England, I believe they will have to play a "physical" game. I don't believe they will be able to match the skill of either the 'Roos or England. So I would have picked some "bigger" players. I reckon Cooper Vuna should have gooten a wing spot over Perrett. Hohaia would fill the utility role. I would have dispensed with Thomas Leuluai by playing Benji at half back, and Jerome Ropati at five eighth. I would also have found room for in form players Fraser Anderson and Evarn Tuimavave, whom I believe would be ideal coming off the bench.
Can't wait for the World Cup "opener".

Poul

Juniors
.... and, am I the only person who thinks Greg Eastwood is overrated? I've seen him play a few good games, but obviously in a dominant Brisbane side. To me he's just too slow, and not big enough to make an impact on the 'Roos pack. I think Anderson with his size AND pace, and Tuimavave with his size, would have been better options. I hope Esatwood proves me wrong.

JJ

Immortal
.... and, am I the only person who thinks Greg Eastwood is overrated? I've seen him play a few good games, but obviously in a dominant Brisbane side. To me he's just too slow, and not big enough to make an impact on the 'Roos pack. I think Anderson with his size AND pace, and Tuimavave with his size, would have been better options. I hope Esatwood proves me wrong.

Eastwood's already proven you wrong.

Hopefully Matai can play, obviously now one of the best centres in the game. But if he can't it's actually not a huge loss, as the depth there is pretty amazing atm - Inu, Solioloa, Sa'a, and even Ropati will do ok - Mannering too.

Webb would be a more worrying loss, but Inu can play there, and Hohaia is serviceable

Alehana

Juniors
shame frank pritchard cant play, he was hitting real form, if we had SBW, Roy, and him, in this squad i'd like our chances at world cup

hopefully matai plays, he puts on some big hits

suprised masada iosefa didn't make it, he'll probablly get picked up by samoa now, does this make him ineligable for NZ in future tests?

thought there would be more SL players in the mix, Webster, Cayless..

Shorty

Staff member
I think NZ have named a pretty good side.
As usual though the kiwis lack creativity although Isaac Luke and Benji could change that.
Nathan Fien is was ALWAYS a hooker,he's uncomfortable at halfback and plays like a hooker when he's in the halves anyway.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
i can't believe people picking sia over perrett ... you're joking right?

is he going to play on one leg?

Soliola has never played bad for the kiwis. He is more physical than perrett. He is a cert.

Perrett will be more a squad member. I would probably let Inu have the other wing spot

No point on basing any roosters players on form - they have the most talented roster - just badly coached.

Hohaia to get first crack if webb is out but bring in nightengale for second games if Hohaia doesnt fire.

1. Hohaia / Nightengale
2. Inu
3. Soliola
4. Matai
5. Vatuvei

As for SKD playing one leg - well he is playing for the Maori team on one leg and in the centres.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Alot of injury issues in the squad - a good thing the maoris have two games to keep some players match fit.

Soliola, Matai, Webb, Halatau - all have issues.

Halatau will miss first game at least.

screeny

Bench
I've never seen Isaac Luke play, how good is he? What style is he?

NZ have had some pretty stylish hookers over the years, from the robust and compact Sid Eru to the side-step king Faiumu to the stand ins Fein and Hohaia. Where does Luke come in with that bunch?

watatank

Coach
I have never heard of Sid Eru but he's miles ahead of the rest of that bunch.

He's energetic, quick, possesses a very sharp passing and running game out of dummy half and puts huge hits on for such a little man. He reminds me of a younger Craig Wing out of dummy half but more robust.

He is probably NZ's key for success along with Benji if he can fire.

ozbash

Referee
Auckland, New Zealand, October 9, 2008 – The Pirtek Kiwis have today been forced to make two changes to their squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.
Leeds fullback Brent Webb and Melbourne prop Jeff Lima have both been ruled out with injury and have been replaced by St George Illawarra winger-fullback Jason Nightingale and Vodafone Warriors front rower Evarn Tuimavave.
Webb (27), who has played 17 tests for the Kiwis, had been hopeful of recovering from a back injury that kept him out of the Rhinos’ English Super League grand final triumph over St Helens last weekend.
However, Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington advised the New Zealand Rugby League that Webb would be having surgery overnight.
He said Webb had a spinal injury that was likely to rule him out for six months.
"It’s bad news for all of us," he said in an email to the NZRL.

nzrl media

ali

Bench
That's disappointing.

On another note, what the hell has Jason Cayless done wrong? He'd have to be close to being the highest paid front rower in the world, yet can't even get into the NZ squad!? Furthermore, he's a better player than his brother, who is the captain.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I've never seen Isaac Luke play, how good is he? What style is he?

NZ have had some pretty stylish hookers over the years, from the robust and compact Sid Eru to the side-step king Faiumu to the stand ins Fein and Hohaia. Where does Luke come in with that bunch?

Luke is the best of that bunch. Crucial player for us.

Biggest weakness I can see in this NZ team is the frontrow. The likes of Rapira and perhaps Tuimavave are really going to have to step up.

On another note, what the hell has Jason Cayless done wrong? He'd have to be close to being the highest paid front rower in the world, yet can't even get into the NZ squad!? Furthermore, he's a better player than his brother, who is the captain.

I agree. Jason Cayless should be in the team. I can only assume he is injured.

JJ

Immortal
Nathan Cayless and Sam Rapira will be fine, but big drop from there... Lima's not a big loss IMO, but surely some of the props in the UK must be going ok? Asotasi is a huge loss.

Fullback's a big issue now, don't see Hohaia being a success at that level... Inu?

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Agree with you on Kidwell, Ropatia and Thomas L.

Kidwell must be just there for in camp support or something. The concearning thing I read was that Thomas L would be the preferred halfback over Fien.......

Why do we persist with Thomas Leulaui, I have never seen him have a blinder of a game in the black & white! Only shockers! I know hes carving up for Wigan but so is George Carmount.....Would rather have Roberts in his place for the WC Squad. Leulaui should be playing for Samoa. Hell I would rather take a gamble on Taumata than persisting with Leulaui. Fien has to be the No.1 halfback...heck he lead a team to the prelim finals of the toughest competition in the world.

Latest posts