What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand Team Announced

Nathan Cayless and Sam Rapira will be fine, but big drop from there... Lima's not a big loss IMO, but surely some of the props in the UK must be going ok? Asotasi is a huge loss.

Fullback's a big issue now, don't see Hohaia being a success at that level... Inu?

Lima not a big loss ???...he is pretty consistent. Did not have a great GF but had the size that the kiwis needed.

Webb is a big loss...added attacking flair that the kiwis needed. I would probably not put Hohaia there...he will get targeted by the Aussies big time.

ozenzud

Juniors
Actually, I'm pretty excited about the squad they have pulled together. The loss of Lima through injury is my biggest concern as he was the best prop option. Evarn T is nowhere near as good as him. But Cayless, Blair and Rapira are solid. Lima would have been great.

Isaac Luke has been good all year and will be better with better players around him.

The centres of Matai and Soliola, on form, can actually match the Aussies in my view. They've loss Gaz, and will be mere mortals.

Perrot and Vatuvei (and on form Inu) are exciting players. Starting to get real fired up for this.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Are u kidding? LIMA wont be a bigg loss. Lol

Lima has been one of the form props in the NRL the past two years. The bloke replacing him Tuimavave has been crap past two years.

This is wear the Island teams have come to bite NZRL in the ass. All the kiwis who have switched over because they thought they wouldn’t come into contention – betcha half of them would swap right now.

Hell I would have Kylie Leulauai over Tuimavave anyday.

Forget Logan Swann – Matulino and Fai should be playing on Sunday.

Should have been so swift to put tuimavave straight in to kiwi squad – I would be interested on how the likes of Harrision, Hauraki and Cherrington perform. (All three better than Kidwell).

In short we need the All Golds Vs Maori to be an annual event – the day before grand final. Tie in as many players as possible.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Could move Perret or Inu to fullback and Nightingale onto the wing. If Hohaia is to play fullback he would add a bit of ballplaying though.

Why do we persist with Thomas Leulaui, I have never seen him have a blinder of a game in the black & white! Only shockers! I know hes carving up for Wigan but so is George Carmount.....Would rather have Roberts in his place for the WC Squad. Leulaui should be playing for Samoa. Hell I would rather take a gamble on Taumata than persisting with Leulaui. Fien has to be the No.1 halfback...heck he lead a team to the prelim finals of the toughest competition in the world.

Thank you, what does Kearney see in him? Any 1 remember UK Tour, who started as no1 halfback? That's right Leuleuai, you watch it'll take till the semis before he's dropped then a major reshuffle followed by a loss, most likely to a very strong Tongan outfit, give him the boot he just ain't upto it! Nepitism at it's worst

JJ

Immortal
Are u kidding? LIMA wont be a bigg loss. Lol

Lima has been one of the form props in the NRL the past two years. The bloke replacing him Tuimavave has been crap past two years.

Just think we have cover there - Rapira has been in great form, Cayless is a fine prop, and Blair off the bench does a job. Obviously with Asotasi and Lima the side is much stronger, but Webb is a more worrying loss.

Same's true of Matai - one of the best in the gamne atm, but with Sa'a, Soliola, Inu etc we can cover... but fullback we're left with a utility (Hohaia), a centre (Inu) or one of the wings... Inu to me is far and away the best option, but Hohaia is flavour of the month and his glaring defensive/positional weakness seem to be overlooked by most

screeny

Bench
Interesting differences of opinion on here! I haven't seen him as much as most of you, but on the evidence I can call on losing Lima isn't a big loss. I haven't seen anyone play as badly in an international as he did v Australia in the Caketin - absolute rubbish.

Will be looking forward to seeing Luke play for the first time, he sounds exciting.

People are too hard on Leuleuai. He can distribute really neatly and it's up to Kearney to have a gameplan that suits a Leuleuai-Marshall combination. If he asks Thomas to do Marshall-esque things they're toast. If Thomas can provide space out wide for Marshall etc with a good structured passing game then he'll do well and NZ will profit.

Strange for the Kiwis to be struggling in the front row but I'd agree that this is their problem area.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Interesting differences of opinion on here! I haven't seen him as much as most of you, but on the evidence I can call on losing Lima isn't a big loss. I haven't seen anyone play as badly in an international as he did v Australia in the Caketin - absolute rubbish.

Will be looking forward to seeing Luke play for the first time, he sounds exciting.

People are too hard on Leuleuai. He can distribute really neatly and it's up to Kearney to have a gameplan that suits a Leuleuai-Marshall combination. If he asks Thomas to do Marshall-esque things they're toast. If Thomas can provide space out wide for Marshall etc with a good structured passing game then he'll do well and NZ will profit.

Strange for the Kiwis to be struggling in the front row but I'd agree that this is their problem area.

No talk of any kicking game champ! are you saying we rely solely on a passing and running gameplan? Leuleuai has no kicking skills whatsoever, Benjii doesnt have one at international level. The kiwis would have a better chance basing gameplan round a Fein and Marshall combo. More variety you have good options for kicking, running and passing. Fien can also handle pressure of big games, Leuleuai can talk a good game but chokes!

screeny

Bench
No talk of any kicking game champ! are you saying we rely solely on a passing and running gameplan? Leuleuai has no kicking skills whatsoever, Benjii doesnt have one at international level. The kiwis would have a better chance basing gameplan round a Fein and Marshall combo. More variety you have good options for kicking, running and passing. Fien can also handle pressure of big games, Leuleuai can talk a good game but chokes!
That's why I personally was always pro Roberts, just because of his kicking game. Has Fein been playing 7 for NZW or 9?

salivor

First Grade
I'd personally play Hohaia at fullback as Halatau can fullfill the hooker rotation role off the bench. We need some kind of spark there with Webb out.

Overall it's a pretty strong squad but the same old story of if only we had a decent halfback to lead the side around. It's sad that when Stacey was around we never quite had the talent in the right positions to support him. Now that he's retired we've finally got some quality in the 1, 6 and 9 just nobody to fill the gaping hole he left at 7.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Just saw on the news not too long ago Matai has been cleared to take part in the WC. He will be joining his team mates tommorow.

A positive for the Kiwis.

Alehana

Juniors
shame we r missing pritchard, SBW, Roy, Webb, i would be 100 that team would win the wc

possible replacement for pritchard- i'd put Sa'a in there

Leuluai i'd have at 7, roberts in too inconsistent, Arana is too young, eddie paea?? what happened to him, why isn't he in kiwis, masada iosefa and isaac luke are all contenders, nathan fien, it have to be between him and leuluai, we have no-one else, hopefully the trials show who is worth of it, hopefully with the trial matches we have a bit more consistancy and gel more as a team and will really challenged england and australia,

Latest posts