What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand v West Indies, 1st Test, Dunedin

JJ

Immortal
Gillespie is rubbish - no idea why they picked him

Mills proved a bit of a point, and Martin's still a very good test bowler, he should be in the team

Be interesting to see what they do if Taylor can't play the next test - clearly the form middle order bat is Skippy :D

JJ

Immortal
dare I suggest we've been saved from likely embarrassment by the rain?

edabomb

First Grade
dare I suggest we've been saved from likely embarrassment by the rain?

We'll do well to draw the series nil all from what has been seen in this test. Average opening pair and a batting lineup seemingly unable to put together a big score.

Hopefully Napier is a road.

kingdamo

Juniors
Napier usually is a road, and Jamie How usually plays well there (in ODI's anyways lol)

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
Yea I reckon he'll get another chance, hopefully his last for a while if he doesn't perform.

JJ

Immortal
Yea I reckon he'll get another chance, hopefully his last for a while if he doesn't perform.

Squad was selected for two tests - questions now about whether Oram is worth a place as a batsman with a dodgy calf, and whether Taylor can play

edabomb

First Grade
Squad was selected for two tests - questions now about whether Oram is worth a place as a batsman with a dodgy calf, and whether Taylor can play

Really, so we're stuck with Gillespie again :crazy:

Probably just be a straight swap Oram -> Taylor if anything.

Meth

Staff member
Is Taylor out? If Taylor is out, who would come into the squad?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
We'll do well to draw the series nil all from what has been seen in this test. Average opening pair and a batting lineup seemingly unable to put together a big score.

Hopefully Napier is a road.

I don't quite follow that tbh, we had reasonable control over this match a lot of the way, always holding a slight advantage, granted not a big one

Am pretty sure Taylor is fine to play the next match. Oram should not play, if he can't bowl, then running could be a bit dodgy as well

edabomb

First Grade
I don't quite follow that tbh, we had reasonable control over this match a lot of the way, always holding a slight advantage, granted not a big one

Am pretty sure Taylor is fine to play the next match. Oram should not play, if he can't bowl, then running could be a bit dodgy as well

I'm very pessimistic about our state ATM. I reckon the Windies bowling attack will be better for the run, whereas we don't have too much improvement from within the squad.

I reckon one big score from Chanders and we're in big trouble.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think we have improvement in us, just a matter of if it comes good or not

How, Taylor and McCullum are the obvious 3 run wise

What you said about Chanderpaul is true, but if we get 3-4 hours out of Taylor or McCullum the same applies to us

Is why I am a fan of this series probably, is so evenly matched

edabomb

First Grade
I think we have improvement in us, just a matter of if it comes good or not

How, Taylor and McCullum are the obvious 3 run wise

What you said about Chanderpaul is true, but if we get 3-4 hours out of Taylor or McCullum the same applies to us

Is why I am a fan of this series probably, is so evenly matched

Yea but I reckon if one of those 3 come off we'll get 80 or 90 out of them, just like we did with Flynn and Ryder, and they'll fail in turn. It the biggest failing in our team, no-one there that can score big hundreds. Taylor would be the most likely, he does have that 154* on his CV.

JB

Juniors
Oram out for the 2nd test. Taylor and Franklin under injury clouds. Fulton, Martin, and Patel called into squad.

Gotta say i was disappointed with Franklin's bowling. Maybe it was that blow to the ribs, or the injuries from the last few years, but i didn't see him hit the 130k mark once while i was watching. If anything he was probably averaging in the low 120s which was pretty much just meh. Ryder could of probably bowled quicker. He still couldn't bring that 1 back into the right hander, all were just going across, and at that pace he just looks so ordinary.
If his bowling carries on in that vein then he'll have to improve his batting to the stage where he can be considered as a genuine number 6 test batsman who can also fill that 4th seamer role, and i wouldn't say his batting is at that level yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts