What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights 2019 Team

PhilGould

Bench
Interesting to see Jacob Gagai named in the squad. I'd noticed him in some of the training photos but figured he was with the NSW Cup squad doing opposed sessions or something.

ryan.a87

Juniors
How do trial matches work?, can they actually use all those players throughout the game, or do they have to cut it back to 17 before kick off like regular season?

PhilGould

Bench
How do trial matches work?, can they actually use all those players throughout the game, or do they have to cut it back to 17 before kick off like regular season?
The majority of the top 17 players will play 20-30 minutes tops. After that the younger players will come on and finish the game.

mozza91

Coach
Wonder if this puts the Ross Dog back in favour

Or Brown could go the other way and name Mann in the centres with JB off the bench if Hunt can’t play round one.
I don’t think Ross is any hope. They mentioned Sione, Mann and Lee as centre options tonight on the news. No mention of Ross.

Swarzey

Bench
The game is due for it's next superstar talent; the next player to define an era of talent like Joey did, like Thurston, Smith and Slater have recently done. Ponga fits that as good as any of them before. And this is something that just happens in sport across the world; the NFL is going through that now (which I'm very, very, very happy about :D)

I expect some teething problems early, much like Milford in 2015, but likewise he'll be fine in the long run. He has great vision, footy IQ and the skill to back it up.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The game is due for it's next superstar talent; the next player to define an era of talent like Joey did, like Thurston, Smith and Slater have recently done. Ponga fits that as good as any of them before. And this is something that just happens in sport across the world; the NFL is going through that now (which I'm very, very, very happy about :D)

I expect some teething problems early, much like Milford in 2015, but likewise he'll be fine in the long run. He has great vision, footy IQ and the skill to back it up.
The greatest crew for the greatest game on Earth.

mozza91

Coach
Fair enough too. Watson looked good yesterday. Safe under the high ball which is good to see. He’ll be dangerous off kick returns and hopefully we’ll see what he can do as a support player.

Levi was really impressive too. Sharp service and picked the right times to run. I’ve always said that he could be anything playing off a strong forward pack and we should see that the this year.

Pearce and Ponga are absolute class so no surprises there.

Last edited:
Will we use the same format in the Cronulla trial?
I'd rather see a near full strength team for most of the game to work on combinations