What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights 2019 Team

Dave_

Juniors
We were the only team to concede over 600 points this season with 607. Even after Parramatta getting pumped and collecting the spoon, we still had worse defence than they did this season. Disgraceful.

Why are we consistently so shit in defence? 2019 has to be all about fixing that issue.

Spot On

Coach
Any halves or fullbacks remotely putting their hand up, aside from Meaney who is gone?

I reckon 9 is Connor Watson's natural position.

....hence the reason I can't believe we let Meaney go. If Ponga is to switch to 6, we had everything covered nicely.

f**k.

Old dog

Juniors
....hence the reason I can't believe we let Meaney go. If Ponga is to switch to 6, we had everything covered nicely.

f**k.
Meaney was in reserves as an u/20's player in 2018, played most if not all and kicked goals, rep player u/20 SOO but didn't get a look in all year, then we buy Ponga and until injuries 2018 still no look in.
We didn't let him go, he left for opportunity we didn't offer, I wish him well but I also wish we had done something more to keep him, bet dogs got him cheap.

Swarzey

Bench
Ponga wants to play fullback, Watson came here to play 6. Versatile as f**k, but came here to play 6.

Meaney was never going to play first grade without injuries to either of them. Watson isn't a full time solution to the 9 and never will be so Meaney was right to chase an opportunity elsewhere.

macavity

Referee
Why isn't Watson an answer at 9

Reminds me a fair bit of a bloke you may have seen play 9 for the Blues this year

Swarzey

Bench
He's not tried and tested in the position. He showed some great things in attack when we slotted him in there against Manly and Canberra in the first 2 rounds but to consistently play the position not just having to show up in attack but also defence? Watson hasn't shown anything that he's capable of doing so. Attack is only half the problem, which is the unfortunate problem with Levi as I think he's fine defensively.

Cook showed over a good few years (and likely throughout his development) that he's a natural hooker whereas Watson has nearly always been in the halves.

Yosh

Coach
He's not tried and tested in the position. He showed some great things in attack when we slotted him in there against Manly and Canberra in the first 2 rounds but to consistently play the position not just having to show up in attack but also defence? Watson hasn't shown anything that he's capable of doing so. Attack is only half the problem, which is the unfortunate problem with Levi as I think he's fine defensively.

Cook showed over a good few years (and likely throughout his development) that he's a natural hooker whereas Watson has nearly always been in the halves.

Watson doesn't seem like a natural half to be honest. Just a good instinctive footballer and I think still young enough to move positions.

I can't see how he'd be any worse than Levi. Watson defends pretty well against big rangy backrowers and if he rotates with Griffin it could work well. I just don't want to see Levi anymore to be honest. Brown made the right call on the starting hooker role at the start of the year.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
The best case Top 30 for next year
1 Kalyn Ponga
2 SKD
3 Tautau Moga
4 Jesse Ramien
5 Edrick Lee
6 Connor Watson
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 Tevita Pangai Jr
9 Danny Levi (lack of other options)
10 Trent Merrin
11 Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12 Sione Mata'utia
13 Aiden Guerra (We need his defense in the middle of the field like a Shaun Fensom)
14 Jamie Buhrer (can spell hooker and backrow)
15 Herman Ese'ese
16 Daniel Saifiti
17 Tim Glasby

18 Hymel Hunt
19 Nathan Ross
20 Ken Sio (re sign as depth)
21 Cory Denniss (cheap depth)
22 Matt Frawley
23 Mitch Cornish (need another half)
24 Slade Griffin (hopefully back sometime next year)
25 Mitch Barnett
26 Jacob Saifiti
27 Pasami Saulo
28 Sam Stone (already resigned)
29 Josh King (already re signed for 2 years)
30 Luke Yates (cheap depth)

Yosh

Coach
The best case Top 30 for next year
1 Kalyn Ponga
2 SKD
3 Tautau Moga
4 Jesse Ramien
5 Edrick Lee
6 Connor Watson
7 Mitchell Pearce
8 Tevita Pangai Jr
9 Danny Levi (lack of other options)
10 Trent Merrin
11 Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12 Sione Mata'utia
13 Aiden Guerra (We need his defense in the middle of the field like a Shaun Fensom)
14 Jamie Buhrer (can spell hooker and backrow)
15 Herman Ese'ese
16 Daniel Saifiti
17 Tim Glasby

18 Hymel Hunt
19 Nathan Ross
20 Ken Sio (re sign as depth)
21 Cory Denniss (cheap depth)
22 Matt Frawley
23 Mitch Cornish (need another half)
24 Slade Griffin (hopefully back sometime next year)
25 Mitch Barnett
26 Jacob Saifiti
27 Pasami Saulo
28 Sam Stone (already resigned)
29 Josh King (already re signed for 2 years)
30 Luke Yates (cheap depth)

Looks pretty good! Needs a better hooker but apart from that, I'd be super happy.

Old dog

Juniors
We are a fickle lot, read page 1 of this thread, admittedly a few weeks have passed but Levi was ok then now want him out. He is still young, has areas he can improve but do really want to replace him, other choices such as Watson, unproven at hooker, seem a bit harsh, is it because we want Ponga at 5/8 so have to find a spot for Watson then play him f/b or bench.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
We are a fickle lot, read page 1 of this thread, admittedly a few weeks have passed but Levi was ok then now want him out. He is still young, has areas he can improve but do really want to replace him, other choices such as Watson, unproven at hooker, seem a bit harsh, is it because we want Ponga at 5/8 so have to find a spot for Watson then play him f/b or bench.
It always amazes me how quickly people in general but also on here change their minds so quickly. If Levi played 2 amazing games then half the people on here would be saying that he is the next coming of Buderus and should be a knight for life. If he followed those games up with three crap games then people would be calling for his head.

Ive also noticed that if the knights have a close win, then players are lauded has being outstanding, however if we have a close loss, then players are quick to cop a lot of negatively.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I still have hope for Levi. He's a terrific young talent, just hope he sorts his attitude out and the rest will follow. Throwing a hissy fit for not being selected earlier this year shows the lack of character that's needed to make a champion.

Yosh

Coach
I don't think people have a problem with his ability. It's the small things Levi is doing to piss people off. If he just stuck to his game and didn't try to niggle opponents and give away dumb penalties or try stupid plays in attack, we'd really appreciate what he brings to the game. He is still young and hopefully he can mature his game play because if he does, he'll definitely be a great contributor to the team!

Old dog

Juniors
I don't think people have a problem with his ability. It's the small things Levi is doing to piss people off. If he just stuck to his game and didn't try to niggle opponents and give away dumb penalties or try stupid plays in attack, we'd really appreciate what he brings to the game. He is still young and hopefully he can mature his game play because if he does, he'll definitely be a great contributor to the team!
You've switched from needs a better hooker to believe because you went with the "lets give it to Levi" group because the lets give it to Lamb and Cogger group have no more say, look at everyone's game overall not nit pick, Levi is ok, can be better but let's not sacrifice him yet.

perverse

Referee
The problem with Levi is he is showing very little improvement. His comeback game from exile this year was great, then it was immediately back to all the stupid shit he does the week after. Super frustrating.