What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights set to snap up NRL outcast Willie Mason

Nuffy

Bench
THE Newcastle Knights are set to throw outcast Willie Mason an NRL lifeline.
The maligned representative forward will undergo a medical test with the Knights today in the final step to his return.

Mason simply needs to pass his medical examination to be registered with Wayne Bennett's side for the remainder of the year. Mason, who left the NRL in 2010 to play in the English Super League and then French rugby, has been campaigning for a return and has now been given a late lifeline.

Bennett has always been a fan of Mason and is in desperate need of a prop to take some load off off-season recruit Kade Snowden.

Mason met with Bennett two months ago, but then agreed to join the Wests Tigers. However, after The Daily Telegraph revealed details of the negotiations, the Tigers board scuppered the move when sponsors threatened to walk away from the club due to Mason's controversial past.

Mason has since been training with sprint coach Roger Fabri and fitness guru Trent Langlands while seeking a deal with Newcastle or Penrith.

Bennett, frustrated by his side's lack of thrust up front, has pounced with a cut-price offer.

It's understood Mason will receive a minimal deal of about $40,000 plus match payments.

Mason's expected signing continues owner Nathan Tinkler's drive to have local players return to play for Newcastle.

Already the Knights have lured back local juniors Snowden, Timana Tahu and Danny Buderus since Tinkler took over.

Mason grew up in Toronto and played his junior career in Newcastle before joining the Bulldogs.

He is one of the most divisive characters in the game because of his strong opinions, unpredictable behaviour and run-ins with authority.

Mason controversially left the Bulldogs to join bitter rivals Sydney Roosters in 2008, before being flicked by the Bondi club at the end of 2009.

He resurfaced at North Queensland in 2010, but decided to take up a deal at Hull last year.

Barely six games into a three-year deal, Mason walked out on Hull to join rugby club Toulon. But he hated the game and never managed a start, and has been attempting to return to league for months.

Bennett joined Newcastle to much ceremony this season but has yet to find his usual success after three wins and four losses to start his reign - including two defeats to his former club, St George Illawarra.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ast-willie-mason/story-e6frexnr-1226328223514

RABK

Referee
Good signing, this will help Kade a lot having a guy go forward with him and our pack will be hugely improved by Masons size and power.

Johns Magic

Referee
I wonder if there's any chance of us seeing Snowden, Mason and Laurie in the first-grade prop rotation at the same time.

RABK

Referee
I wonder if there's any chance of us seeing Snowden, Mason and Laurie in the first-grade prop rotation at the same time.

No doubt people would whinge about such a rotation citing ill discipline but at least it would be big, line bending bodies going forward with ill discipline opposed to the hiding to nothing our small forwards are copping weekly with included ill discipline.

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
He was overlooked by many clubs because he has been described as a cancer on a footy clubs ranks and is a really poor influence especially around the young brigade, hope he can turn it around but he looked pretty average afew years ok in his last stint, i cant see him coming back any better at his age.

Joker's Wild

Coach
He was overlooked by many clubs because he has been described as a cancer on a footy clubs ranks and is a really poor influence especially around the young brigade, hope he can turn it around but he looked pretty average afew years ok in his last stint, i cant see him coming back any better at his age.

lol ask any Cowboys fan and they'll say the opposite champ

Jog on you muppet

Elektrik Shock

Juniors
You talked up the Adam Cuthbertson signing, you have no credability moron. Anyone but the knights and you would be laughing at them aswell.

Joker's Wild

Coach
You talked up the Adam Cuthbertson signing, you have no credability moron. Anyone but the knights and you would be laughing at them aswell.

When did I talk up the Cuthbo signing numbnuts. I praised the Cowboys when they signed Willie in 2010 and he turned out to be a good buy for them

Run along little fella, the adults are talking here

aqua_duck

Coach

He was quite good his last stint actually at the cowboys but don't let the truth get in the way of your story. Also apparently he's not as bad as everyone makes out, just ask Craig Bellamy

chinorocks

Juniors
Don't know how to feel about this one. On the one hand we desperately need size and he's a massive unit who when at or near his best is better than all our forwards.

On the other side he's known to be disruptive, hasn't played league in at least a year, and is the wrong side of 30.

Hope he goes well and this turns out to be the second great bargain of the year (after Tahu).

It will be surreal watching the big unit in our colours. Everything has come full circle. Don't underestimate what playing in front of his family will do for his game. His mum will be stoked her boy is home.

IanG

Coach
Bit of mongrel in the pack.

Perhaps being back in his howm town might keep him in line too

Spot On

Coach
Well we are desperate and this is a desperate signing. I hope the love shown to William is repaid by honest preformance on and off the field.

Latest posts