What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle Knights set to snap up NRL outcast Willie Mason

Silent Knight

First Grade
He was overlooked by many clubs because he has been described as a cancer on a footy clubs ranks and is a really poor influence especially around the young brigade, hope he can turn it around but he looked pretty average afew years ok in his last stint, i cant see him coming back any better at his age.

This coming from the supporter of a club that signed Jason Ryles and last year had Adam Woolnough and Troy Thompson in their playing roster? Hypocrite much? Anyway shouldn't you be in the main forum talking up your precious Mexicans?

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Mason would be good, but gotta wonder why he's dodged us so many times? Would his heart be in it for us?

And what has happened with Laurie? I was pretty excited about him and the impact he could have for us, haven't even heard of him since round 1.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I was opposed to signing him when we were after him a couple of years ago during the off season, and wasn't disappointed when he went to the Cowboys.

Still not sure about him, Mason's record with contracts and his effect on previous clubs isn't great but he seems a bit desperate which hopefully is a good thing for us and he goes out there to prove himself.

If we're getting him for chips then it's not a bad buy I guess, as we have all said in the discussion of the Dragons game we were dominated in the forwards so obviously he fits the profile of the player we need ATM. I just hope that we're not all posting about what a bad decision it was at the end of the season.

Karl

Juniors
If he's fit the lay off from League won't be a problem. His position isn't particularly complicated. Not like he's likely to have forgotten how to play. He's cheap and would have to be great value at the price as well. He's unlikely to be a problem this season in terms of behaviour, even a numbskull like Mason can pull their head in in their home town with their Mother watching over them for a short while, particularly when he absolutely has to if he ever wants to earn a decent dime out of the game again.

And if he mucks up - big deal, bench him. His salary isn't breaking the bank. I'm sure the contract will enable them to sack him if he looks sideways in a way the Coach doesn't like too.

Seems like a bit of a gamble, but the downsize is limited, the upside could be great and it's costing them pennies to roll the dice. Smart move.

Pika

Bench
Minimum coin + incentives are perfect for someone like Mason.

You cannot play poor or become complacent on that sort of salary.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Wow, I wonder what forwards are going to get dumped to NSW cup side with both Willie and Daine ready to rock and roll. Anyway the NSW cup side will have a pretty good forward pack.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I was against signing Big Willie a few months back due to his reputation and any possible adverse influence he may have on our younger players. But the fact he's signed for peanuts and we can offload him fairly easily if he dishes up crap makes me feel a bit better.

And if signing Willie means we don't get dominated by opposing forward packs as much it could actually work in our favour.

Big Tim

First Grade
Agreed.

We are in different position to the Tigpies. Our major sponsor is our owner, if Mason gets bad press it will just take the spotlight of Tinks directly.... thats absolute worst case scenario.

Small gamble, well worth the risk.

Just keep in mind you doubters out there that we signed Craig Smith at 34 years of age when noone wanted him and he was basically retired. He was the signing of the year IMO for us that year. Our go forward turned on it's head. Willie was 32 on Sunday. This could be the comeback to end all comebacks if we get it right. Many clubs could be left wishing they had the balls we have in giving a very talented person another shot at redemption. If his knee holds I believe we will be very hard to stop.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
My mum's most hated player, can't wait to see her reaction :lol:

billy2

Juniors
It will be interesting to see what effect he will have on Rodney.
I rate Rodney the biggest underperformer we have. Once in a while he has a great game, but it's about twice a season.
I'd love to see Willie play alongside Rodney this week against Illawarra and just see if Rodney pulls his finger out and tries to match the big guy.

Yosh

Coach
I thought should have signed Mason from the get go. It turned out better because he would hve wanted a lot more coin when he was negotiating with the tigers.

It's all coming together. Soon we'll be signing SBW. Excellent (Mr Burns smile and finger thingy)

What's the best that can happen?
He thrives under Wayne's watchful eye and doesn't pull against the tight leash, regains is rep form, becomes the bargain basement buy of the millennium and helps Kade turn us into a dominant pack.

What's the worst that can happen?
He does nothing and is a waste of (not very much) money, or he f***s up and Wayne punts him or Tinks pays him out (again, not very much).

The size of the potential reward make the potential risk one well worth taking.

Rolla

Juniors
I cannot stand the bloke, seeing him in the red and blue will be strange. At the end of the day he can potentially be exactly what we need so i understand the signing. On little money the reward could be worth it. I'm not getting my hopes up too much as there is every chance he will contribute little. But he could also be exactly what we need.

He has been a cancer historically but i assume he has grown with maturity as far as his off field contributions though. I doubt guys like Bennet would take too much crap anyway.

I'm not a fan, never liked him, but it is good business and the second he runs out a knight I will cheer him on like anyone in red and blue. Clean slate

Latest posts