What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcastle looking to future with young rake

Karmawave

Bench
I'd love to see Joel Brown given a crack, and by next year, he should be just about ready. Training with the top squad during the offseason would help alot, similar to Matt Keating this year with the Eels squad.

At the same time, I'd be enquiring about Flanno at the Tigers too but I'm unsure of our chances of pulling him.

roopy

Referee
A lot of names have come up.
Chris Hyde had half a game last week and was named as hooker in NSW cup this week. I watched him in his half game and he did the job without showing anything special, but that was after a week training with the guys. Apparently he was a handy halfback for central coast flegg last year.
Todd Hurrell had half a game in NSW cup in round one and looked pretty good i thought, and a full game in NYC in round two and looked great.
Tyne Owen is the guy i would be giving a go, but he seems to be well out of favour. He is a smallish guy with a great football brain and organisational skills. He gets the ball to the right guy far more often than most because he reads the game really well.
Joel Brown has the build and the skills. As a schoolboy he went into the comp with a minor side playing hooker as a bit of fun (he was a 5/8 for us) - and he did so well at hooker he surprized everyone and was one of the few ever selected from out of the major squads and went on a tour of the UK with aus schoolboys as a hooker - and hasn't played it since i think.

Out of left field - Joel Burraston could be a good hooker. He is a smart guy with a fantastic passing game and he is a big halfback or 5/8. He defends well and reads the game well, but seems to have lost pace or something at halfback. Hooker might be his only hope, and he has all the skills needed.

Spike

First Grade
Out of the young hookers we've got now, I'd say Owen is the best prospect but he's too raw to be thrown into first grade after Bedsy retires. That gap left by Seu Seu IMO will need to be filled by someone outside the club until Owen is ready or whoever fills the void is good enough to retain their position and keep Owen out.

League_God

Juniors
macavity said:
Bailey

world's biggest hooker

lol i wouldnt mind seeing that...
if piggy riddell can do it, bailey is chris bailey is more then capable quicker then piggy, better passing game then piggy and definately fitter then piggy.

aqua_duck

Coach
I definately think we need to sign someone regardless, but hopefully not John Morris, he rubbish

roopy

Referee
Bailey has developed his passing game incredibly over the off season, or maybe since Smith has been at the club.
Last week in the NSW cup game he threw a flat 30 metre pass right over the top of all the forwards to the centres on the other side of the ground - a cut out pass that basically cut out half the team.
It wasn't a fluke either - the team knew it was going to happen and ran in a try on the back of it.

Hanscholo

Bench
aqua_duck said:
I definately think we need to sign someone regardless, but hopefully not John Morris, he rubbish

Im putting Morris and Ennis into the absolutely no way bin at this point. Ive watched both of them closely at their clubs after newcastle and neither are showing me that they will be rep quality players, after all that is what we want.

Spike

First Grade
I don't whether Bailey's defence would be up to scratch to be playing at hooker. I'd put Hilder at hooker before Bailey

BG

Juniors
roopy said:
Bailey has developed his passing game incredibly over the off season, or maybe since Smith has been at the club.

He threw at least two awesome cut out balls in the round 13 game against the Tiges last year. (His first game back from injury I believe.) And we scored probably our two most impressive tries of the year off the back of them.

Karmawave

Bench
Bit of an update on Joel Brown.

Last week the 20's trained with Joel playing 5'8, yet against the Eels he came off the bench to play hooker. Unsure of that significance.

League_God

Juniors
Spike said:
I don't whether Bailey's defence would be up to scratch to be playing at hooker. I'd put Hilder at hooker before Bailey

i cant disagree completely. however i think if someone (such as smithy) was to approach bailey and basically say to him he is definitely in contention for filling in bedsy boots long-term, only thing they are still looking at him for is his defence. i guarantee you he would end up becoming a top-class defender. he would be frothing at the mouth for that opportunity.

Coopah_Knights

Juniors
Jono078 said:
Yes, but noone thinks he's worth bringing back...

Mick Ennis.

I think the Sharks, De Gois is also off who would be worth looking at.

And possibly Clint Amos from the Titans.

if we sign Ennis i will end my life..
he is a grub im not a fan of him...
De gois is a quality player though, hes a very nippy hooker.

League_God

Juniors
Coopah_Knights said:
its gonna be hard to replace bedsy..

impossible to replace him.

imho i think bedsy was the best hooker of all time and one of the best clubmans. better cluybman then joey imo. and thats saying something.

Karmawave

Bench
I agree about Danny Buderus being our greatest clubman.

Though I think there's quite a number that can be listed in front of Andrew Johns as a clubman! While a great footballer on the field, Joey wasn't the best clubman of all time.

Bill Peden, Paul Harragon, Tony Butterfield, Marc Glanville just a few that pop in mind as being great clubman for the Knights.

Coopah_Knights

Juniors
Karmawave said:
I agree about Danny Buderus being our greatest clubman.

Though I think there's quite a number that can be listed in front of Andrew Johns as a clubman! While a great footballer on the field, Joey wasn't the best clubman of all time.

Bill Peden, Paul Harragon, Tony Butterfield, Marc Glanville just a few that pop in mind as being great clubman for the Knights.

i love the work billy peden did.
still serving the club as a excellent trainer..
always give him a hooroo at the games.
still wont forget him being the first try scorer 97 GF:crazy:

League_God

Juniors
true true.
chief was just blue and red through and through.. still is.
loves the club. tony butterfield also.

Latest posts