What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEWCASTLE SIGN UP THE NEW JOHNS

innsaneink

Referee
Rugby League Review October 2004 Issue - Out Now !!!
Written by: Rugby League Review
5/10/2004 Views: 58

NEWCASTLE SIGN UP THE NEW JOHNS
The Newcastle Knights have signed up exciting Brisbane Easts half-back Dane Campbell as a possible successor to Andrew Johns when he finally decides to hang up the boots. The 21-year old Campbell is planning to break into first grade next season, at either five-eighth or off the bench. Find out more in the latest issue of Rugby League Review.

The 'New' Johns???

Probably hasnt even pulled a Knights jersey on yet and hes already under pressure, being compared to the great one.
Whoever replaces Joey......I hope they have a thick skin, and I hope constant reference isnt made to Johns with regards the replacements performances. As I have just done. :lol:

Jono078

Referee
Really there will never be another 'Joey Johns' but there can always be the first 'Dane Campbell' 8) .

roopy

Referee
The best thing in the article is that Campbell considered playing for New Jersey Sharks in America this year and that he is currently in the UK helping trian the West Indies for their upcomming game against South Africa. It's a wonderful thing to have a young guy interested in putting more into the game than he takes out.

Campbell played halfback in the losing side in the Qld Cup grandfinal this year and played 5/8 for Qld residents. Last season he trained with the Cowboys and played with the young guns early this season. He has also represented Qld in most age teams he has been eligable for in recent years.

He isn't the next Johns, but he seems to be a young guy with plenty of potential and a good attitude.

Deano

Juniors
I thought the channel 9 commentry said he signed with Canberra :?

EDIT - Soward that is.

macavity

Referee
no deano, they bought him from Canberra.....

Campbell sounds like a good guy to have around; I have a feeling the guy that will take over from Joey, however, goes by the name of Mullen....

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sorry fellas but the next Ricky Stuart Todd Carney will dominate any version of andrew johns :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and if Carney fails, Dobson or Zillman will step up for sure

PS. Luke Jay :arrow: the next steve walters :mrgreen:

Big Mick

Referee
Todd Carney will seek a release from his 4 year contract next year if he shows any promise and play for the roosters in 2006

Raider_69

Post Whore
Big Mick said:
Todd Carney will seek a release from his 4 year contract next year if he shows any promise and play for the roosters in 2006

:lol: :lol: :lol:
good luck

thickos

First Grade
Big Mick said:

Also seen driving a Fairlane from City Ford :oops:

McLovin

Staff member
Yeah, and Don Tweddle has muscled up and become a strike prop forward and is ready for test selection...

Broncodroid

Juniors
The poor kid, yet to play in the NRL, signs with Newcastle and already being labelled the 'Next Andrew Johns'! :roll: Tell me, what chance has this kid got when being marked against perhaps the best of all time ? Buckley's and none anyone...it wasn't long ago that Ben Jeffries was earmarked with this title (now playing for Wakefield Trinity Wildcats).

Andrew Johns is one in a million type player yet the media cannot help but to sell a story using the great man's name in which a young kid will now be burdened with being 'the next joey'. I was a little surprised the story was not from one of the so called 'League Experts' from the laughable Newcastle Herald.

Sorry to burst the bubble on this guy and the Newcastle fans, but the closest thing too Andrew Johns as a young upstart in the NRL (no, not the next Johns, simply the best of a young crop for mine) would have to be St. George's Matt Head who can do it all on the football field. He has tremendous vision, a brilliant passing / kicking game, can tackle and steers his team around the paddock taking the reins from the overrated Trent Barrett who continues to be hit and miss when wearing the red v.

joshreading

Staff member
Dane is on here all the time so if you read this Dane. Congrats on signing for Newcastle!!! - just a pity it wasn't the Storm

Raider_69

Post Whore
joshreading said:
Dane is on here all the time so if you read this Dane. Congrats on signing for Newcastle!!! - just a pity it wasn't the Storm

fair dinks

if true, hope you read this dane
based of this - "the next joey johns", you sure as hell better hope your good, good luck at newie, you'll need it champ

Latest posts