What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newton to England????

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Hadley (for what its worth) said on 2GB this morning that Brian Smith has told Clint Newton that there is no place for him at the Knights in 2008 and he would be better off to go to England. For context, he dropped this quote in a rant he was having about Brian Smith and it is common knowledge that the pair have an ongoing feud. Has anyone else heard about a possible move for Clint? I also heard on Fox yesterday that Wooly has been offered "big dollars" by Penrith. Both of these players have had their chances at the Knights and both may benefit from a move. ;-)

Voice of Reason

Juniors
I agree Mac about Perry- he can lead the exit que holding hands with George Carmont. Wooly seems to me to be a grafter. That is not necessirily a bad thing IF the other prop on the filed is one who constantly pokes his head through the advantage line. Unfortunately that is not the case with the players and combos we have at present. I think Clint has reached his potential here and may need a change for his own good.

Jesfery

Juniors
Just going on Clint's post match interview with FOX yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. There was lots of references to other coaches ie. The Broncos are coached by a good man and The Roosters being well coached.... Then at the end of the interview he said something along the lines of its been an honour and privilege to have played 100 games for the Knights (might be reading too much into that one). Certainly sounded like he was unhappy and or leaving.

Scott

Bench
Jesfery said:
Just going on Clint's post match interview with FOX yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. There was lots of references to other coaches ie. The Broncos are coached by a good man and The Roosters being well coached.... Then at the end of the interview he said something along the lines of its been an honour and privilege to have played 100 games for the Knights (might be reading too much into that one). Certainly sounded like he was unhappy and or leaving.

It was a weird interview, how he was name droping other coaches and players. Certainly didn't appear as though his team had just been pretty badly smashed up!

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wouldn't have any problem at all with him being shown the door. The few good games he's put in aren't worth the dozen or so mediocre ones that seem to follow them. Obviously there might be other factors as to his complete lack of motivation this year - but, to be fair, we've got backrowers coming through in spades, and if he's not determined enough to keep his spot, then maybe England would suit him down to the ground.

It's an indictment that Hagan's first grade success stories are guys like Newton, when the youngsters Smith brought to Parramatta are already incredible prospects under Hagan.

Let the clean-out continue.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Newton will be the first of many who will be asked to leave I think. But we better start signing some senior players to replace some of the guys we are losing.

roopy

Referee
Newton and woolnough are ordinary firstgraders on rep player money. we can get three players of the same quality for the money these guys want for next season.
If they want to stay for reasonable money (like Perry has done for the last few years) let them stay - if they can do better elsewhere, let them go.

Yosh

Coach
If we do lose Newton, Perry and Woolnough and have heaps of cap space, but there is noone to really sign with all that space whats the point? Like I would like to know that we have signed some quality before we let anyone go. Perry isnt on that much so doenst matter, but if Newton and Woolnough are taking up quality cap space then they can leave if we get a better replacement.

B-dos

Referee
Ive got the mail

Jack Newton has called a press conference for this afternoon.

Apparently Clint Newton will be getting an immediate release to join the London Broncos.

Nothing 100% certain but ive got a few inside sources.

Voice of Reason

Juniors
Its coming together it appears. I wonder if the "immeadiate release" coincides with another immeadiate release of a player coming TO our club? I hope so. Please Clint take Perry with you.

B-dos

Referee
my same source hinted that Luke MacDougal could be free to play for us as soon as this weekend.

CJG 182

Juniors
Luke MacDougall?

Size up those premiership rings.

Hahaha but umm... why do we replace a 2nd Rower, with an average winger?
And more importantly... what kind of message does this, and the links to Naqiama (sp), send to players like Gordon, Aku, and the like?

B-dos

Referee
CJG 182 said:
what kind of message does this, and the links to Naqiama (sp), send to players like Gordon, Aku, and the like?

hopefully something along the lines of "start hitting your f*cking straps"?

CJG 182

Juniors
Not being in Newcastle I don't get to see basically any PL games. How does Gordon go in these? Is he good and just struggling with the step up to firsts? Or just an average player brought up due to injuries? And more importantly how's Aku been playing lately? Is he good enough, and just being held back?

Latest posts