What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Wb1234

Referee
Then how do those sides make money if they are getting hand outs only?
I will find the puff piece interview it was in, Then there is this

The AFL extended their rights for just two years. V’landys awarded Foxtel a seven-year extension until 2027, believed to be for an annual payment of $300m.

Channel 9 has been confirmed as $130m, 15m contra.

If Sky is paying $30m. That makes the total the $450m. which is over $400m the NRL has stated.

Why should NRL get $150m on FTA, Where are the ratings trending? Aside from 4 games they are live on Fox too so how will that improve?

Cricket gets $200m for 2 months content, You don't think that is better than either code gets?

So why is there ads in PayTV if they only need Subs?
doesn’t that add up to 460 million

I don’t think fox are paying as that much

Wb1234

Referee
The best article is the one released by a news ltd journo which said the afl tv deal was 3.5 billion over 7 years

news know exactly what fox paid

then there was another article where paramount offered a similar but higher number over 7 years

these numbers show what the tv deal really is

Iamback

Coach

doesn’t that add up to 460 million

I don’t think fox are paying as that much

yes it is $460m.

with the Dolphins money it could, My point is no one really knows. Yet some 'experts' on here claim they know it all

Wb1234

Referee
yes it is $460m.

with the Dolphins money it could, My point is no one really knows. Yet some 'experts' on here claim they know it all
Wow I didn’t know that

so it’s more than afl for a few years ?

good base to work with for next time with an extra team, internationals and expanded nrlw

Iamback

Coach
Wow I didn’t know that

so it’s more than afl for a few years ?

good base to work with for next time with an extra team, internationals and expanded nrlw

Yes AFL is $473m for 2023 and 2024 with Telstra included,
Yes and the expanded comp with the 9th game will close the gap for the last 4 years of theirs.

So yes I don't see it as a horrible deal some are making out. Especially as the game is able to expand as a result of it

Wb1234

Referee
Yes AFL is $473m for 2023 and 2024 with Telstra included,
Yes and the expanded comp with the 9th game will close the gap for the last 4 years of theirs.

So yes I don't see it as a horrible deal some are making out. Especially as the game is able to expand as a result of it
Nah I’m not including Telstra anymore in the tv deal comparison

so we are well ahead for the first time in history

Perth Red

Post Whore

The AFL extended their rights for just two years. V’landys awarded Foxtel a seven-year extension until 2027, believed to be for an annual payment of $300m.

Channel 9 has been confirmed as $130m, 15m contra.

If Sky is paying $30m. That makes the total the $450m. which is over $400m the NRL has stated.

Why should NRL get $150m on FTA, Where are the ratings trending? Aside from 4 games they are live on Fox too so how will that improve?

Cricket gets $200m for 2 months content, You don't think that is better than either code gets?

So why is there ads in PayTV if they only need Subs?
Nope
once again
ch9 $130mill
fox $240mill
skynz $32mill

”over” $400mill. No one, and I mean no one, down plays the size of a tv deal by $200mill! You only use over if it’s a smidgen over. If it was $2.25billion you can be sure it would have been announced as such! And not “over” $2billion. I can’t find any direct qoute from any nrl employee or director that the deal is $400mill in cash or that it’s $430 or $450mill total. Happy for you to prove me wrong!

as for masters, maths isnt his strong point! He says $450mil a year then literally a line down he says it’s $2.3billion. He found an extra $50mill in that short a time lol

then He says fox are paying $300mill which given we know what ch9 and skynz are paying would be $462mill not the $450mill he just staTed. Bless him I think Roy is losing it a bit!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha,
yes it is $460m.

yeh the nrl just forgot the $60mill when it made its announcement!

so you’re claim is that despite the nrl announcing a $2billion deal it’s really “over” $2.3billion? Hmmm Sounds likely.

Pneuma

First Grade
Nope
once again
ch9 $130mill
fox $240mill
skynz $32mill

”over” $400mill. No one, and I mean no one, down plays the size of a tv deal by $200mill! You only use over if it’s a smidgen over. If it was $2.25billion you can be sure it would have been announced as such! And not “over” $2billion. I can’t find any direct qoute from any nrl employee or director that the deal is $400mill in cash or that it’s $430 or $450mill total. Happy for you to prove me wrong!

as for masters, maths isnt his strong point! He says $450mil a year then literally a line down he says it’s $2.3billion. He found an extra $50mill in that short a time lol

then He says fox are paying $300mill which given we know what ch9 and skynz are paying would be $462mill not the $450mill he just staTed. Bless him I think Roy is losing it a bit!
You never had it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Several participants involved in the process said Nine’s bid came in lowest at around $510 million in cash per year, while Paramount/10 was around $570 million.

So we got around $350mill cash from ch9/fox and afl got bids of $510mill, $550mill and $570mill cash from tv and Iamback still thinks it wasn’t a terrible deal?
geez I’d hate for you to be negotiating for me mate!

still we’ve got these gems from pistol Pete to hang to!
“We set up the platform for AFL to be able to do this.”
”We’ve got a few things up our sleeves”
”We will be negotiating our deal pretty soon to take us up to 2031”
“Fox needed an asset on its sheet to continue its viability” (didn’t Pete know streaming service subscriptions were at an all time high during covid?)

and my last but not least my particular favourite: “If Foxtel coughs, all the codes catch a cold.”

well done to Webster for being the only journo with the balls to question him. The silence from news ltd was deafening.

Last edited:

JD-Roo

Juniors
Any changes as far as extending halftime breaks?
Just reposting as this got buried right at the bottom a few pages back:

The only time the AFL half-time break was ever extended was way back when AFL was still doing State-of-Origin, so a couple of decades back.

It got extended from 20 to 30 minutes for the TV coverage for one SOO match in Adelaide (I think), but was dropped straight after as it screwed with the player's and coaches' mid-match routines too much.

In 2019 and 2020 there were separate discussions about actually shortening the half-time break to 15 and even 10 minutes, but those plans were dropped.

Pneuma

First Grade
Several participants involved in the process said Nine’s bid came in lowest at around $510 million in cash per year, while Paramount/10 was around $570 million.

So we got around $350mill cash from ch9/fox and afl got bids of $510mill, $550mill and $570mill cash from tv and Iamback still thinks it wasn’t a terrible deal?
geez I’d hate for you to be negotiating for me mate!

still we’ve got these gems from pistol Pete to hang to!
“We set up the platform for AFL to be able to do this.”
”We’ve got a few things up our sleeves”
”We will be negotiating our deal pretty soon to take us up to 2031”
“Fox needed an asset on its sheet to continue its viability” (didn’t Pete know streaming service subscriptions were at an all time high during covid?)

and my last but not least my particular favourite: “If Foxtel coughs, all the codes catch a cold.”

well done to Webster for being the only journo with the balls to question him. The silence from news ltd was deafening.

Just wondering how many times our whinging Pom will post the same links and make the same points as nauseam purely out of spite? Over 53000 times.

Iamback

Coach
Just reposting as this got buried right at the bottom a few pages back:

The only time the AFL half-time break was ever extended was way back when AFL was still doing State-of-Origin, so a couple of decades back.

It got extended from 20 to 30 minutes for the TV coverage for one SOO match in Adelaide (I think), but was dropped straight after as it screwed with the player's and coaches' mid-match routines too much.

In 2019 and 2020 there were separate discussions about actually shortening the half-time break to 15 and even 10 minutes, but those plans were dropped.

Of course they would be. Ch7 needs to flog off Home and Away. Fox Sports their Sportsbets ads.

The_Wookie

Bench
NRL have said they are $400m cash. That would make it $430m total.

No they didnt. The NRL announcement from Abdo was "over 400m pa". Not cash. Anything else has been inferred by media or posters on incomplete information. This amount also included Sky NZ. The conbribution from Fox for the Dolphins was announced prior and I understand thats included as well.

October 6, 2021
The NRL has agreed to terms with Foxtel on a new broadcast deal for a 17-team competition in a move poised to deliver an NRL expansion windfall of up to $100 million.

December 21, 2021

The NRL have announced that revenue from the game's three broadcast partners - Nine, Fox Sports and Sky NZ - will total more than $400m per annum for five years from 2023 until 2027.

“The Commission wanted to secure the medium term, and the long term, future of the game so by extending the free-to-air rights deal out to 2027, in combination with our subscription tv deal in Australia with Fox Sports and our New Zealand deal, the game will now have over $400m in media rights revenue from 2023," Abdo said.

lol weve covered this! Length is only relevant to fta.
While subscription numbers are the prime driver - and Ive never seen sub numbers per code - Fox screen ads too particularly during breaks. Engagement length is important to sponsored parts of the broadcast, not just commercials. Things like replays, some analysis, pre game, post game, half time and quarter time breaks can all have broadcast partners. These are all part of the total sum that makes up broadcast rights.

I mean Length and the number of breaks has been cited by everyone as a key factor - witness the discussion around the number and length of the NRLs own breaks every so often in the media.

Nrl has the advantage of much higher audiences/subscribers and origin. no one’s paying for aflw on fox. If length of the product was key golf, tennis, cricket would be killing it in tv deals!

Well they would if the could get the same advertising rates, which they generally cant. Cricket in particular suffers due to large parts of its season being outside the official ratings period.

given our subscription rate must be higher based on ratings

I mean its the most logical explanation, unless NRL fans are prone to watching more matches than AFL ones - also possible due to match length. In Theory.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
No they didnt. The NRL announcement from Abdo was "over 400m pa". Not cash. Anything else has been inferred by media or posters on incomplete information. This amount also included Sky NZ. The conbribution from Fox for the Dolphins was announced prior and I understand thats included as well.

October 6, 2021
The NRL has agreed to terms with Foxtel on a new broadcast deal for a 17-team competition in a move poised to deliver an NRL expansion windfall of up to $100 million.

December 21, 2021
The NRL have announced that revenue from the game's three broadcast partners - Nine, Fox Sports and Sky NZ - will total more than $400m per annum for five years from 2023 until 2027.

“The Commission wanted to secure the medium term, and the long term, future of the game so by extending the free-to-air rights deal out to 2027, in combination with our subscription tv deal in Australia with Fox Sports and our New Zealand deal, the game will now have over $400m in media rights revenue from 2023," Abdo said.

It was in a puff piece interview with the SMH, I think with Michael Chammas and PVL.

I will look for the link tomorrow

As for the rest of post, That is how I read the situation. Super Sat goes for longer so the sponsor pays more than say the Sunday games.

As for NRL fans watching more games, AFL having 2 games at 7.30 Sat nights takes viewers away. Likely the score is known and the highlights get watched instead of the whole game

Last edited:

Latest posts