What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Iamback

Coach
Yeah so this is why Paramount Plus aren't viable to broadcast major sports

A-League clubs, players and, most importantly, fans, deserve so much better than what Paramount Plus is serving up.
We are almost two years into the deal the Australian Professional Leagues signed with Network 10 and its subscription service Paramount Plus to broadcast the A-League, but there are still problems with the broadcast.

The latest came on Friday night when many supporters could not watch the game between Adelaide United and Macarthur FC that was being shown on Paramount Plus.

I experienced it first hand from the Gold Coast, where I am for my son’s futsal tournament. My mate and I were trying to watch the game via his Paramount Plus subscription, but like so many others around the nation, we couldn’t. So what did my mate do? He watched the Australian Open tennis instead.

More and more fans are switching off the A-League and watching other sports because of how difficult it has suddenly become to watch a game of Australian club football on a TV or computer screen.

That’s not a position football can afford to be in. We have already lost enough fans. so we can’t risk losing more because of a broadcast service that’s not good enough. Paramount Plus needs to be made accountable for what they are doing to our game.

The APL is trying hard, and has some great ideas in the pipeline, including building a studio at Allianz Stadium. But they are being let down by their broadcast partners, who have failed to secure the rights for other sports despite making offers above what the rights have been sold for.

Paramount Plus needs to reinvent itself, maybe with the help of some fresh eyes, because what has been delivered so far hasn’t met the necessary standard.

Why is it that now a lot of the time match commentators aren’t even at the ground, but instead calling matches from a studio above Randwick racecourse?

And then, to make it worse, one of the commentators is also part of the half-time studio panel.

They don’t even try to create the illusion that the commentators are at the ground.

It’s just laughable, How did we get to this point?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah so this is why Paramount Plus aren't viable to broadcast major sports

A-League clubs, players and, most importantly, fans, deserve so much better than what Paramount Plus is serving up.
We are almost two years into the deal the Australian Professional Leagues signed with Network 10 and its subscription service Paramount Plus to broadcast the A-League, but there are still problems with the broadcast.

The latest came on Friday night when many supporters could not watch the game between Adelaide United and Macarthur FC that was being shown on Paramount Plus.

I experienced it first hand from the Gold Coast, where I am for my son’s futsal tournament. My mate and I were trying to watch the game via his Paramount Plus subscription, but like so many others around the nation, we couldn’t. So what did my mate do? He watched the Australian Open tennis instead.

More and more fans are switching off the A-League and watching other sports because of how difficult it has suddenly become to watch a game of Australian club football on a TV or computer screen.

That’s not a position football can afford to be in. We have already lost enough fans. so we can’t risk losing more because of a broadcast service that’s not good enough. Paramount Plus needs to be made accountable for what they are doing to our game.

The APL is trying hard, and has some great ideas in the pipeline, including building a studio at Allianz Stadium. But they are being let down by their broadcast partners, who have failed to secure the rights for other sports despite making offers above what the rights have been sold for.

Paramount Plus needs to reinvent itself, maybe with the help of some fresh eyes, because what has been delivered so far hasn’t met the necessary standard.

Why is it that now a lot of the time match commentators aren’t even at the ground, but instead calling matches from a studio above Randwick racecourse?

And then, to make it worse, one of the commentators is also part of the half-time studio panel.

They don’t even try to create the illusion that the commentators are at the ground.

It’s just laughable, How did we get to this point?
It doesnt say why he couldnt watch it? Was it a production issue or a streaming issue?
That why they need a flagship sport to drive their investment in systems and production. Its hardly worth spending a lot on the Aleague. I havent tried Paramount+ yet so cant say how reliable it is or the quality of the stream. It does sound like they are in their infancy and haven't spent what they need to in order to have same quality and features as Kayo

It is also why they know they have to bid overs to prise sports away from the incumbents. I dont care if they get it or not, I care that they have the opportunity to bid for it and they bid large. That will drive the price up for everyone.

Iamback

Coach
It doesnt say why he couldnt watch it? Was it a production issue or a streaming issue?
That why they need a flagship sport to drive their investment in systems and production. Its hardly worth spending a lot on the Aleague. I havent tried Paramount+ yet so cant say how reliable it is or the quality of the stream. It does sound like they are in their infancy and haven't spent what they need to in order to have same quality and features as Kayo

It is also why they know they have to bid overs to prise sports away from the incumbents. I dont care if they get it or not, I care that they have the opportunity to bid for it and they bid large. That will drive the price up for everyone.

They have the NFL, The systems and production should be there

Perth Red

Post Whore
They have the NFL, The systems and production should be there
Are they using the US system though or a new platform based here? Your right though it shouldn't be hard to move what they've got over there to here you'd think?

Iamback

Coach
Are they using the US system though or a new platform based here? Your right though it shouldn't be hard to move what they've got over there to here you'd think?

They have the IPL, That will show if it is local problem or the general system being poor

Pneuma

First Grade
Channel 9 diversifying and consolidating to capture key markets in a declining FTA market. Clever.

Wb1234

Referee
Channel 9 diversifying and consolidating to capture key markets in a declining FTA market. Clever.
Was just going to post this

fta networks still have loads of cash to throw around on sport

shame ten don’t seem to have been interest

50 percent increase in what seven was paying

Perth Red

Post Whore
All stars mens game next is being played in 4 x 20mins qtrs. Be Interesting to see how the game feels in this format as could be something that changes for nrl to maximise tv rights in 2028?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
All stars mens game next is being played in 4 x 20mins qtrs. Be Interesting to see how the game feels in this format as could be something that changes for nrl to maximise tv rights in 2028?
I think if we could get rid of the ref`s obsessions with calling every f**king dropped ball a knock-on (whether forward, sideways or a f**king mile backwards) and likewise forward passes (admittedly nowhere near as big a problem but still irksome) and the game was more frenetic or at least continuous, then having breaks after 20 minutes might work.
Presently for me it`s too intrusive to the flow of the game, the next generation, if they grow up with it, may see it differently.

Latest posts