What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Wb1234

Referee
I think if we could get rid of the ref`s obsessions with calling every f**king dropped ball a knock-on (whether forward, sideways or a f**king mile backwards) and likewise forward passes (admittedly nowhere near as big a problem but still irksome) and the game was more frenetic or at least continuous, then having breaks after 20 minutes might work.
Presently for me it`s too intrusive to the flow of the game, the next generation, if they grow up with it, may see it differently.
Hey buddy keep giving it to that idiot sports prophet

guy is such an afl fan it’s sickening

thank you for your service

agreed on the flow of the game

penalties for minor infringements are stupid it’s not rugby union

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Hey buddy keep giving it to that idiot sports prophet

guy is such an afl fan it’s sickening

thank you for your service

agreed on the flow of the game

penalties for minor infringements are stupid it’s not rugby union
Look he`s not too bad he`s just one of those mad bastards who can follow two sports. Me I`m not so rational, plus it is a silly f**king game.
About the 20 minute quarters, I`m serious when I say if the game was more continuous (frenetic could appeal to the next gen) then breaks after 20 minutes could work.
Makes me wonder if that`s what PVL and co. are working towards given all the rule changes we are seeing to reduce the number of stoppages.

Iamback

Coach
Look he`s not too bad he`s just one of those mad bastards who can follow two sports. Me I`m not so rational, plus it is a silly f**king game.
About the 20 minute quarters, I`m serious when I say if the game was more continuous (frenetic could appeal to the next gen) then breaks after 20 minutes could work.
Makes me wonder if that`s what PVL and co. are working towards given all the rule changes we are seeing to reduce the number of stoppages.

Qtrs won't work, People skip the ads now and just won't comeback

Wb1234

Referee
Nah he likes afl more and won’t admit it

he’s a troll lol
Qtrs won't work, People skip the ads now and just won't comeback
Penguin nailed it

less penalties and stoppages makes the game more watchable

I don’t like quarters the game doesn’t get momentum

Canard

Immortal
All stars mens game next is being played in 4 x 20mins qtrs. Be Interesting to see how the game feels in this format as could be something that changes for nrl to maximise tv rights in 2028?
You know this has been a feature of pre- season games virtually for ever right?

And NRL protocols see it happening in the NRL if temperature and humidity are too high.

It's not some radical new thing.

Iamback

Coach
Nah he likes afl more and won’t admit it

he’s a troll lol

Penguin nailed it

less penalties and stoppages makes the game more watchable

I don’t like quarters the game doesn’t get momentum

Problem is people want perfection from the refs and the NRL is overcautious with injuries. Leads to more bunker and stoppages

Pneuma

First Grade
You know this has been a feature of pre- season games virtually for ever right?

And NRL protocols see it happening in the NRL if temperature and humidity are too high.

It's not some radical new thing.
Careful. He’ll get upset and put you on iggy the soft c@ck

Wb1234

Referee
Problem is people want perfection from the refs and the NRL is overcautious with injuries. Leads to more bunker and stoppages
Stupid channel 9showing multiple replays when a ref makes a mistake

they should ref games like origin

I was talking to an nrl ref once at the gym and I was telling him this lol

the best rugby league is where there are no stoppages or mistakes and the game just flows

Iamback

Coach
Stupid channel 9showing multiple replays when a ref makes a mistake

they should ref games like origin

I was talking to an nrl ref once at the gym and I was telling him this lol

the best rugby league is where there are no stoppages or mistakes and the game just flows

Post game presser journos always bring it up too

They can't though, You have the best of the best in Origin.
There are some Ordinary players in club land and need the breather so will hold down or lazy arms that need to be penalties.

That said last night Dragons had a non existent hipdrop and hair pulling penalty. Stuff like that can leave the

Steel Saints

Juniors
Problem with four quarters is, a team could be on the attack at the start of there set at 19 min 40 sec mark, and they only have a couple of tackles left.

The way it is at the moment, that team has a full set to attack the oppositions try line. If it ain't broke.....

Wb1234

Referee
Post game presser journos always bring it up too

They can't though, You have the best of the best in Origin.
There are some Ordinary players in club land and need the breather so will hold down or lazy arms that need to be penalties.

That said last night Dragons had a non existent hipdrop and hair pulling penalty. Stuff like that can leave the
You get what I’m talking about

keep the stupid penalties to a minimum

Iamback

Coach
Problem with four quarters is, a team could be on the attack at the start of there set at 19 min 40 sec mark, and they only have a couple of tackles left.

The way it is at the moment, that team has a full set to attack the oppositions try line. If it ain't broke.....

The best part of the game is working the opposition over

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
You get what I’m talking about

keep the stupid penalties to a minimum
That`s what worries me about our ref`s, they seem to think that doing a good job means not missing a single thing, whereas doing a good job might actually be ignoring the borderline stuff and letting the game flow. Harrigan was a master of it, he had a feel for what the fans wanted.
It worries me a bit too about some of our new female ref`s, like the old adage about the workplace, sometimes the women feel they have to do a better job than the men, just to be considered they are as good. Unfortunately, in League this may mean being particularly over-zealous just to show how good they are.
I`d love it if our female ref`s led a revolution about the way the game is officiated, and let it flow, a bit like what makes the NRLW so attractive (apart from women`s legs in footy shorts and pony-tails), although I am starting to see some of the less attractive elements of the men`s game creeping into that as well. Our genius f**king coaches at work as usual.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
That`s what worries me about our ref`s, they seem to think that doing a good job means not missing a single thing, whereas doing a good job might actually be ignoring the borderline stuff and letting the game flow. Harrigan was a master of it, he had a feel for what the fans wanted.
It worries me a bit too about some of our new female ref`s, like the old adage about the workplace, sometimes the women feel they have to do a better job than the men, just to be considered they are as good. Unfortunately, in League this may mean being particularly over-zealous just to show how good they are.
I`d love it if our female ref`s led a revolution about the way the game is officiated, and let it flow, a bit like what makes the NRLW so attractive (apart from the footy shorts and pony-tails), although I am starting to see some of the less attractive elements of the men`s game creeping into that as well. Our genius f**king coaches at work as usual.
The women weren’t bad in the trials but maybe that was two games

you are spot on about this point it’s something that’s bothered me for years

the game is way over officiated

I don’t watch rugby league for the refs

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The women weren’t bad in the trials but maybe that was two games

you are spot on about this point it’s something that’s bothered me for years

the game is way over officiated

I don’t watch rugby league for the refs
So true, it`s the curse of union isn`t it, lawyers and doctors masquerading as referees wanting to show everyone how clever they are by knowing every rule in the rule book and applying them. f**king wankers.
Like the ref calling that deliberate knock-on by the Kiwi full-back in the All-Stars match, we just don`t need it FFS.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Good points, the perfection thing would be hard to crack, but it is only a mindset. But it would be a hard mindset to change.
The players seemed to have largely accepted it as well, Latrell did a blatant knock-back yesterday and he didn`t even bat an eyelid when the ref pulled up play for a knock-on.
The thing that gets me is that how quickly borderline calls are forgotten when the game is on. If you watch games from previous eras it`s quite mind-blowing how relaxed commentators, players and refs are about borderline calls. I think the game was far better for it.

Wb1234

Referee
So true, it`s the curse of union isn`t it, lawyers and doctors masquerading as referees wanting to show everyone how clever they are by knowing every rule in the rule book and applying them. f**king wankers.
Like the ref calling that deliberate knock-on by the Kiwi full-back in the All-Stars match, we just don`t need it FFS.
The culture of rugby league now is to attack refs so the
Good points, the perfection thing would be hard to crack, but it is only a mindset. But it would be a hard mindset to change.
The players seemed to have largely accepted it as well, Latrell did a blatant knock-back yesterday and he didn`t even bat an eyelid when the ref pulled up play for a knock-on.
The thing that gets me is that how quickly borderline calls are forgotten when the game is on. If you watch games from previous eras it`s quite mind-blowing how relaxed commentators, players and refs are about borderline calls. I think the game was far better for it.
the only issue is coaches will realise refs are going easy on penalties then tell their teams to cheat more

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The culture of rugby league now is to attack refs so the

the only issue is coaches will realise refs are going easy on penalties then tell their teams to cheat more
True, but even if we got the knock-on and forward pass stuff sorted that would make a huge difference.
If we get the stoppages from those two sorted we`d also see more fatigue and that`d help reduce the big bopper`s role in the game and make the small blokes even more dangerous, and that would really turn the clock back. We all want to see more Ryan Papenhausen`s, Matty Bowen`s and the like darting around and making the big blokes look like lamp posts and being so darned entertaining in general.
I reckon what we need is one ref with the intestinal fortitude (I won`t say balls because it could be a chick) to break the mould and the results would speak for themselves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Commentators slamming the refs becuase of "in their opinion'. Guess what dcks no one cares if youthink it was forward or not! I agree go back and watch games form 30 years ago and decisions hardly ever get questioned or played. Its a blight on the game.
re the qtrs thing, was ok but did stop momentum and flow of game. Might be worth a few $'s in a tv deal but not sure its worth changing the game for.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
CH9’S OLYMPICS CASH SPLASH

Channel 9 is paying $315 million for the Olympics until Brisbane in 2032. It’s a lot of money for what adds up to 10 weeks of live sport.

The network is also paying $100 million a year for two weeks of Australian Open tennis.

It makes their NRL deal look like a bargain.

Nine is paying just $115 million for 30 weeks of rugby league each year including exclusive rights three State or Origin games and the grand final.

News Limited reporter telling us what a bargain Ch9 got the NRL broadcast rights for. I`m still a supporter of PVL but I hope he`s reading this and squirming.