What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Wb1234

Referee
Ok, wheres the link that shows the NRl digital revenue for last year, or the year before, or the year before. You seem to know this as a fact. Show us where you're getting the data from. Becasue the only data we can see is the licensing revenue where digital revenue is sitting, and that certainly hasnt had any significant jump since 2019.
What are you on about you dope

Wb1234

Referee
If you dont understand it just say so dude.

Yes. But not the content and the people and equipment that generate that - AFL Media is the organisation that generates that content, that organisation is headquartered at Docklands - and used to have a printing arm for The Footy Record until 2018 when that arm was sold to crocmedia. The two organisations are not the same, but are mutually beneficial. Telstra literally pays for the right to host AFL content and profit from it.

You can when one asset is effectively a wrapper for another asset, and Particularly when the AFL operation is reported to be one of the largest sporting news bodies in Australia.

That probably isnt worth anywhere near as much as you thought based on the NRLS reports.

Thats in part since 2019 the only revenue available concerning digital revenues is digital service revenue which is much less than the digital revenue used to be - like less than a 1/3rd.
Wookie you’ve been quoting afl tv deals including Telstra digital revenue

for years

now you can’t turn around and discount the fact the nrl retained ownership of its asset whilst the afl has leased out its properties to Telstra

if the afl terminates it’s Telstra deals then they can claim the asset value

one wonders though if Telstra really pay the afl 50 million in cash a year to run the websites and make a profit on top how much the nrl makes by keeping it all themselves

given rugby league has a higher social media presence than afl then If anything the nrls revenue should be comfortably above what Telstra pay to the afl

are you claiming that digital revenue has fallen from 24 million to 3 million lol

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
Wookie you’ve been quoting afl tv deals including Telstra digital revenue

for years

now you can’t turn around and discount the fact the nrl retained ownership of its asset whilst the afl has leased out its properties to Telstra

I can only go by what the record says.

if the afl terminates it’s Telstra deals then they can claim the asset value

Thats just the site. Its not the content generating organisation. They are two separate parts. I really dont know how you cant see this.

one wonders though if Telstra really pay the afl 50 million in cash a year to run the websites and make a profit on top how much the nrl makes by keeping it all themselves

According to its reports, it doesnt seem like its much.

given rugby league has a higher social media presence than afl then If anything the nrls revenue should be comfortably above what Telstra pay to the afl

NRL.com and the NRL network do not get higher traffic than the equivelant AFL one. I dont think Ive ever seen a comparison where thats the case.

Wb1234

Referee
I can only go by what the record says.

Thats just the site. Its not the content generating organisation. They are two separate parts. I really dont know how you cant see this.

According to its reports, it doesnt seem like its much.

NRL.com and the NRL network do not get higher traffic than the equivelant AFL one. I dont think Ive ever seen a comparison where thats the case.
On other social media nrl kills afl so it’s a safe assumption that’s the same applies for the websites

you highlighted 3 million in digital revenue wheres the rest

Iamback

Coach
The AFL hasnt sold any of AFL Media to Telstra. Telstra have hosted the AFL network since they launched afl.com.au. in the late 90s - AFL Media wasnt formed until 2012. In return they claim all the advertising revenue from the network, where the NRL keeps it all, the flip side being Telstra pay the AFL more for their digital rights.

Telstra wouldn't lose money on paying for the advertisements, So in theory it must be worth the $50m they pay.

The_Wookie

Bench
On other social media nrl kills afl so it’s a safe assumption that’s the same applies for the websites

you highlighted 3 million in digital revenue wheres the rest

Dude we can get rankings for the sites. Its not a safe assumption at all.

There may not be a rest.

The_Wookie

Bench
It was reported as 24 million previously

Yes last in the 2018-2019 Report - which included the last year of Telstras digital rights, before they were dropped by the NRL. Digital Services Revenue appears from the 2019-20 Annual Report on - and defined as

The Group sells Digital Inventory to digital sponsors to assist with the promotion of rugby league through the NRL network. Digital inventory that is sold by the Group is sufficiently specific to a financial period and for promotion of rugby league throughout that period. Digital inventory is able to be produced by the Group and benefited by the digital sponsors simultaneously over the term of the contract. The measure of progress to recognise digital revenue is therefore time that has
elapsed over the contract term.

This would appear to be your revenues for the NRL network.

Wb1234

Referee
Yes last in the 2018-2019 Report - which included the last year of Telstras digital rights, before they were dropped by the NRL. Digital Services Revenue appears from the 2019-20 Annual Report on - and defined as

This would appear to be your revenues for the NRL network.
Nah it’s not including ticketing revenues from those websites which are shown elsewhere

as I said nrl dominates on social media

given this dominance something’s not adding up with digital revenue of afl and nrl

“Despite having two fewer teams, NRL clubs still hold more cumulative followers than the AFL (8.71 million versus 8.56 million).”

The_Wookie

Bench
Nah it’s not including ticketing revenues from those websites which are shown elsewhere

Ticketing would not have been included in any Digital rights revenues previously either - Ticketing is handled through agencies like Ticketek on NRL.com, which likely makes it club match revenue, not an NRL.com property, except for Rep fixtures and Finals.

Never said it didnt. I did say that its usually not the case with the actual sites which generate revenue. For example the last 3 months.

1678859797926.png

Likewise Collingwood had about 8,000 more visitors than the Broncos to their respective sites.

given this dominance something’s not adding up with digital revenue of afl and nrl

Well for a start, the NRL stopped selling their digital rights. NRl.com and AFL.com.au and the associated networks - where those digital rights are held currently - are not the same as facebook likes, and instagram/twitter followers.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Ticketing would not have been included in any Digital rights revenues previously either - Ticketing is handled through agencies like Ticketek on NRL.com, which likely makes it club match revenue, not an NRL.com property, except for Rep fixtures and Finals.

Never said it didnt. I did say that its not the case with the actual sites - not social media.

Well for a start, the NRL stopped selling their digital rights. NRl.com and AFL.com.au and the associated networks - where those digital rights are held currently - are not the same as facebook likes, and instagram/twitter followers.
I stand by my point

there’s no way in the world afl is receiving 50 million from Telstra for running their websites and the nrl in comparison is making 3 million despite having a larger social media presence

this whole topic is shrouded in mystery yet it’s been claimed as part of the afl tv deals forever

The_Wookie

Bench
I stand by my point

there’s no way in the world afl is receiving 50 million from Telstra for running their websites and the nrl in comparison is making 3 million despite having a larger social media presence

this whole topic is shrouded in mystery yet it’s been claimed as part of the afl tv deals forever

It is a little confusing

Social media presence has nothing to do with it. Its literally revenue off NRL.com and the club network. I copied the definition from this years report for you.

1678860354791.png

Its not really that mysterious on the NRLs part if its literally reported in black and white, or green and white or whatever colour they used this year. Its possible that there is more squirrelled away under licencing or operations - Telstra evidently still have some streaming rights.

Telstra still retains streaming rights and has built a new NRL app in conjunction with the league. The NRL and Telstra also share some commercial income.

If i remember rightly clubs recieve the revenue for their own sites, so this is may be just the NRL.com site revenue, whereas for the AFL, Telstra cover the whole network of clubs and the main site.

We already know that Telstras money isnt just for the network, but also for technical work at Marvel - the exact breakdown of that is as yet unknown.

Wb1234

Referee
It is a little confusing

Social media presence has nothing to do with it. Its literally revenue off NRL.com and the club network. I copied the definition from this years report for you.

View attachment 71289

Its not really that mysterious on the NRLs part if its literally reported in black and white, or green and white or whatever colour they used this year. Its possible that there is more squirrelled away under licencing or operations - Telstra evidently still have some streaming rights.

If i remember rightly clubs recieve the revenue for their own sites, so this is may be just the NRL.com site revenue, whereas for the AFL, Telstra cover the whole network of clubs and the main site.

We already know that Telstras money isnt just for the network, but also for technical work at Marvel - the exact breakdown of that is as yet unknown.
I said clubs received their revenues from their own sites

then you and Perth red said I was wrong lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is nothing anywhere I can find that says they do (either in NRL or club financial reports or in news articles), and in fact most of the ads are same pop ups across all sites. My memory was that when NRL digital took it over from Telstra they received all revenue and the club grants went up to reflect this new revenue source, similar with ground advertising.

Its is interesting the how and why of the split "digital services" revenue off from the rest of digital income. I cant believe even Vlandys and Abdo are so incompetent that our digital revenue has dropped from $24mill to $3mill!

The digital idea was good under Grants vision of creating our own media platform, like AFL has done, but now that has been kaboushed by Vlandys to appease TV the Telstra AFL deal looks a damn site better!

Wb1234

Referee
There is nothing anywhere I can find that says they do (either in NRL or club financial reports or in news articles), and in fact most of the ads are same pop ups across all sites. My memory was that when NRL digital took it over from Telstra they received all revenue and the club grants went up to reflect this new revenue source, similar with ground advertising.

Its is interesting the how and why of the split "digital services" revenue off from the rest of digital income. I cant believe even Vlandys and Abdo are so incompetent that our digital revenue has dropped from $24mill to $3mill!

The digital idea was good under Grants vision of creating our own media platform, like AFL has done, but now that has been kaboushed by Vlandys to appease TV the Telstra AFL deal looks a damn site better!
Lucky the nrl kept this valuable asset than afl who sold out to Telstra

bad luck for the afl

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wookie is at 3 mill why not use that number it’s as avcurate as yours
Not sure if you know what your arguing here lol
Are you aying that the digital component sitting in the licensing revenue line is in fact much bigger than $24million?
If so are you therefore also saying that the tV component of the licensing line must be much smaller than has been picked out?
It has to be one or the other?
Unless you think wagering revenue has dropped since 2021?
What are you arguing?

Wb1234

Referee
Not sure if you know what your arguing here lol
Are you aying that the digital component sitting in the licensing revenue line is in fact much bigger than $24million?
If so are you therefore also saying that the tV component of the licensing line must be much smaller than has been picked out?
It has to be one or the other?
Unless you think wagering revenue has dropped since 2021?
What are you arguing?
Yes it’s more than 24 million

given your earlier comments on our ability to read a financial statement is a major concern