What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Wb1234

Referee
So where do you think that $24million plus revenue is sitting in the financial report?
The same place the equity in the digital division is which you couldn’t understand

you and wookie should have a conference and decide on a figure because there’s a gap of 21 million pa between each of your estimates

Perth Red

Post Whore
The same place the equity in the digital division is which you couldn’t understand

you and wookie should have a conference and decide on a figure because there’s a gap of 21 million pa between each of your estimates
eh? The digital infrastructure is in the asset section, nothing to do with revenue.
Its in the asset section.

Where is the revenue being reported?

2019 we know for a FACT it was $24mill
2022 all we know is there is a $3mill 'Digital services" line

If the rest is sitting under media in the licensing line or somewhere else and how much it is no one knows. Lets hope it hasn't gone or thered be some answering to be had!

Wb1234

Referee
eh? The digital infrastructure is in the asset section, nothing to do with revenue.
Its in the asset section.

Where is the revenue being reported?

2019 we know for a FACT it was $24mill
2022 all we know is there is a $3mill 'Digital services" line

If the rest is sitting under media in the licensing line or somewhere else and how much it is no one knows. Lets hope it hasn't gone or thered be some answering to be had!
So what figure do you think it’s now

24 million
3 million

or nfc

given how often you post the value of the afl deal including Telstra revenue your weakness on this topic is shocking

Perth Red

Post Whore
So what figure do you think it’s now

24 million
3 million

or nfc

given how often you post the value of the afl deal including Telstra revenue your weakness on this topic is shocking
whast the afl got to do with this?

I dont know. I can only tell you what it was in 2019 and looking at the licensing line, if that is indeed where it is sitting, then its probably still somewhere around that. What this digital services is and how it differs from what they reported in 2019 I couldnt tell you.

Like Ive said numerous times the numbers are muddied, reporting lines make it guesswork and all we can do is make best estimates based on what info is at hand. If you dont like it Id suggest you dont bother coming in this thread.

Wb1234

Referee
whast the afl got to do with this?

I dont know. I can only tell you what it was in 2019 and looking at the licensing line, if that is indeed where it is sitting, then its probably still somewhere around that. What this digital services is and how it differs from what they reported in 2019 I couldnt tell you.
If you don’t know the figures then maybe you should just admit the whole topic is vague and do the same for afl

let’s just focus on the tv deals

something is fishy about Telstra making more than 50 million in profit from the afls websites

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you don’t know the figures then maybe you should just admit the whole topic is vague and do the same for afl

let’s just focus on the tv deals

something is fishy about Telstra making more than 50 million in profit from the afls websites
it is vague, its all vague, have you only just realised this??

AFL is equally vague, though we have historic data for both to some degree.

Like I keep saying the only true figure you can measure off is total cash revenue for each code. End of day thats the only clearly defined area.

You can look at releases
NRL 'over' $400mill
AFL $473mill then $673mill/$571mill cash a year

but break downs are much trickier sadly.

The_Wookie

Bench

I havent decided on any figures. Im just pointing out the figures as they are posted.

You seem fixated on a 24m figure from when the NRL actually sold the rights, as opposed to now when they dont.

Im literally going by the report figures, and definitions posted in the annual reports.

1) We dont actually know what Telstra is paying
2) We dont how miuch of Telstras deal is contra
3) Telstra have always paid the AFL more

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
So in effect Telstra pay a licensing fee to run AFL branded websites as well as buy media produced by the in-house AFL media business?

Iamback

Coach
I havent decided on any figures. Im just pointing out the figures as they are posted.

You seem fixated on a 24m figure from when the NRL actually sold the rights, as opposed to now when they dont.

Im literally going by the report figures, and definitions posted in the annual reports.

Wasn't the last deal pre-covid $50m a season?

Whatever it is, They aren't losing money on the investment. So in theory by keeping the revenue over a fixed amount, should result in better finances from it

Wb1234

Referee

This is all proving my point

Wb1234

Referee
So in effect Telstra pay a licensing fee to run AFL branded websites as well as buy media produced by the in-house AFL media business?
Apparently Telstra find a way to pay afl 50 million pa to run their websites and still make a profit on top but the nrl can only manage 3 million revenue from running its own sites (when nrl dominated on social media)

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Apparently Telstra find a way to pay afl 50 million pa to run their websites and still make a profit on top but the nrl can only manage 3 million revenue from running its own sites (when nrl dominated on social media)
Is there not sponsorship naming as well?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Telstra’s original afl $50mill included digital advertising and digital small screen rights.
they’ve now lost the live rights but still hav e replay rights and added partnership in marvel stadium, some player promotion rights and pitch sponsorship. Though if the sponsorship component is counted in media revenue or commercial operations lines who knows.

you’d have to think out of the $673mill a year 2025- deal telstra contribution cash or inkind must have gone up significantly from $50million.

Given allegedly Stan offered $550mill and paramount $600mill its fair to assume the tv component of that $673mill is in the $550-600mill range.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Telstra’s original afl $50mill included digital advertising and digital small screen rights.
they’ve now lost the live rights but still hav e replay rights and added partnership in marvel stadium, some player promotion rights and pitch sponsorship. Though if the sponsorship component is counted in media revenue or commercial operations lines who knows.

you’d have to think out of the $673mill a year 2025- deal telstra contribution cash or inkind must have gone up significantly from $50million.

Given allegedly Stan offered $550mill and paramount $600mill its fair to assume the tv component of that $673mill is in the $550-600mill range.
Not sure you can call the Stan offering only for tv. Given it was a Fairfax bid, it's not a stretch to say it included digital media and sponsorship.