What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Not sure if they used it or not

but a lot of clubs borrowed money from banks and the afl acted as a guarantor

covid messed up the afls finances and they didn’t take their medicine like we did

this year they will get more tv money

hopefully vlandys keeps buying more assets for the long term

the goal should be 1 billion in assets for the nrl

i think they have one more year ( this year) of their voluntary lower deal from 7

they took 40 mill pa less for 3 years (120 mill)
20-22
& will get that 120 mill back over 2 years in 23-24

Krusty says they're getting their covid losses back , but they're not really. They'd of paid almost all the media revenue loss amounts in interest on the loans taken out to keep them & their clubs afloat.

They're in a mess
its a cluster f.uck

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
That is the thing. AFL has loans to pay off.
NRL made a profit so it needs to more desperate in TV rights.

Not that there is many options out there

Diesel

Referee
Perth Red would be booking his next trip to ARLC Hotel if he wasn’t in Melbum watching the alf

Canard

Immortal
As predicted the AFL trade off for the money was more Thursday night games and no FTA on Saturday nights for a chunk of the season. Basically copying a highly successful format pioneered by the NRL.

For mine, the extra money is worth the sacrifice over fixture control, and I say good luck to them.

However as I live in Melbourne , this "negative" has quickly become "the story" of the deal though, particularly by 9/Fairfax media. In Melbourne particularly, you really didn't need PTV to watch most of the AFL with the biggest games always being on FTA. So this is a cultural shift. 3AW(Fairfax) for example was really hammering this point this morning.

As predicted the AFL trade off for the money was more Thursday night games and no FTA on Saturday nights for a chunk of the season. Basically copying a highly successful format pioneered by the NRL.

For mine, the extra money is worth the sacrifice over fixture control, and I say good luck to them.

However as I live in Melbourne , this "negative" has quickly become "the story" of the deal though, particularly by 9/Fairfax media. In Melbourne particularly, you really didn't need PTV to watch most of the AFL with the biggest games always being on FTA. So this is a cultural shift. 3AW(Fairfax) for example was really hammering this point this morning.
They don't really have much to whinge about. They're getting what we've had to put up with for years, except their game is getting paid a lot more money. They should count themselves lucky.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let’s at least keep this thread related to the next nrl tv deal. Plenty of talk on afl deal in other thread, thanks.

If we add the Pirates in 2025 then we will have an extra game to sell and give ourselves an opportunity to build a following in Australia's fourth largest metro market that will reap commercial benefits within 10 to 20 years.

Colk

First Grade
A Perth team is a must now. I would have said it was a must prior but that need has now become greater. Selling off internationals and SOO separately is a must as well

Hopefully Paramount is still around. If not, go to other streaming services - what about Amazon?

LeagueXIII

First Grade

I would think alot of this money is to pay for a Tassie team and grow the womans game all 18 teams.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
A Perth team is a must now. I would have said it was a must prior but that need has now become greater. Selling off internationals and SOO separately is a must as well

Hopefully Paramount is still around. If not, go to other streaming services - what about Amazon?

And know what the true value of our game is to the broadcasters without our game they are dead in qld and nsw. We need to make them pay big time for our assets also super sat, anzac game, night gf, control of fixture etc. The AFL seem to get alot for theirs yet we get peanuts.

Colk

First Grade
And know what the true value of our game is to the broadcasters without our game they are dead in qld and nsw. We need to make them pay big time for our assets also super sat, anzac game, night gf, control of fixture etc. The AFL seem to get alot for theirs yet we get peanuts.

The only that they are going to do it is to have the cojones to seriously threaten to take the golden goose away from them. It is oxymoronic to only deal with them and expect them to do you a favour

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think we can see that to get max value out of the next deal we need perth asap and a plan for Adelaide. Then we need to carve the rights up offering soo as a stand alone package. Then we need to go to market with it and create competition. Only way we will get what the game is worth.

Ramsay Snow

Juniors
They, the NRL announced, that the new deal starting next year is paying over $400 million annually , with Foxtel also paying for the 17th team, it's Glory Days. Never Ever has the NRL had such CASH, Ever! ...And yet you complain.

Well it's been explained to so many times how the AFL $473 is FAKE. Foxtel are on record as saying not much changed financially since last deal, Seven West Media ( who must be sweating regarding the Cricket Australia legal case) are paying, what been publicly and importantly press realese revealed which they, ( Seven Network (Could be litigated against for false information ) paying $150m. Maybe Paramount Global pay a sqillion, but having $16 billion debt to the banks... Why don't the AFL accept their 5/600 million per year deal, why? Cause it's fake, like everything Dill Does!
So when the AFL clubs (who couldn’t give a f**k about what code gets what) says ‘Show me the money!!’ The AFL tells them they were lying because they wanted to show up the mighty NRL? f**k me, do you guys lay awake at night thinking this shit up? AFL clubs get a fixed % of the rights deal, and if the AFL came up short there would be no shortage of questions.

Latest posts