What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Seeing as though in the same article he says Shane Flanagan may soon be taking up the football director role at Salford, which Tim Sheens has has announced he has accepted, I wouldn't believe much of what he says

To be fair, he did know that Football Director job was open....

So, i think we can atleast be sure he is right in saying that there is some kind of TV deal happening soon. :sarcasm:

No way would we be aiming for $1.6 Billion.

I reckon it's $2 Billion or not much lower than that, when factoring in Digital and NZ Rights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Highly doubtful, that would be a massive jump on the current $1.2bill. It's unlikely we would see that sort of % jump, not like the current deal is undervalued really. I'd be happy to see around $1.6billion, that would give the game enough to boost club income, salary cap and pay for expansion.

Starkers

Bench
If there's a deal where the networks pay well overs to stave off Google et al for 5-6 years, then it's this one.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No way would we be aiming for $1.6 Billion.

I reckon it's $2 Billion or not much lower than that, when factoring in Digital and NZ Rights.

IIRC the 9 offer to extend the current deal way this, so i imagine this is the minimum the NRL would be looking at...

Dont read too much into lines like that though, he probably heard the number and used this as a throwaway line.

taipan

Referee
As I'm a lazy pr*ck and have no intention of spending my hard earned on Rothfield's Rag,has anyone bought today's paper? Some story on the NRL TV negotiations.Can't get in ,not a subscriber to Rothfield Rag on line.

Just interested to see if there is any additionasl news on the negotiations,such as NRL bending over to be rimmed by 9 etc etc.:sarcasm:

El Diablo

Post Whore
you talking about this? http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...llar-talks-begin/story-fnp0lyn6-1227416706857

NRL free-to-air TV rights up for grabs as billion dollar talks begin

DEAN RITCHIE
The Daily Telegraph
June 26, 2015 6:00PM

THE NRL has completed its first round of billion-dollar talks with prospective free-to-air broadcasting suitors.

The Daily Telegraph can confirm that networks TEN and Seven have formally met with the NRL about pinching rugby league’s prestigious television rights from Channel Nine.

Seven and TEN are cashed-up and have spoken to NRL officials about what would be available and at what cost.

The second round of talks are due to start shortly.

Google is the left-field player, the $365 billion company also talking with the NRL about the possibility of steaming games live to smart TVs.

TEN nearly snatched the NRL television rights three years ago but missed out with Nine having first and last right of refusal. That clause has now been scrapped.

TEN officials weren’t commenting on Friday. A Seven spokesman said: “We’re always polite in our silence when it comes to discussions about sports rights.”

One source close to the negotiations: “All three networks have a healthy appetite for rugby league. They are all jockeying for positions.

“Everyone is in play, everything is on the table.”

Google’s possible entry would see fans watch live games on mobile devices — like smartphones and tablets — as well computers, laptops and smart TVs.

“Live streaming NRL matches through a Google partnership would be an absolute game changer,” said tech expert Stephen Fenech, editor of TechGuide.com.au.

“This plays right into the hands of Australians who are now accessing the internet and consuming content more often on their mobile devices than they are on their PCs.

“Live NRL matches that can be viewed anywhere on mobile devices, computers and on smart TVs would be a valuable content offering.”

It seems likely the broadcast package will be split with State of Origin now said to be worth $100m a series.

The NRL rights aren’t for sale until the end of 2017. All three free-to-air stations could show additional live games through their digital channels.

The last deal, struck between Nine and Fox Sports, was worth $1.2 billion. The NRL hope the next deal could reach between $1.5 to $1.6 billion.

taipan

Referee
Thanks champ,that's the one.On the surface , things seem to be moving along nicely for the NRL.
I just hope they have included Perth and Brisbane 2 in their negotiations.$1.5 -1.6bn seems a bit conservative ,if there is so much competitive tension.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
Funny that they're saying the last deal was worth $1.2 billion (without Sky NZ) when for the last 3 years it's been reported as $1Billion.

taipan

Referee
Agree .On that basis if they can crack $1.6bn plus in Oz and add on Sky NZ deal plus digital with the likes of Googs,then we are cooking with gas.
I would like to see Fox with all live games(with FTA on 3 live ) to compensate for Monday nights.meaning more Sunday arvo games ,that would help ratings and crowds.Monday nights for crowds drags averages down big time.

Cletus

First Grade
Agree .On that basis if they can crack $1.6bn plus in Oz and add on Sky NZ deal plus digital with the likes of Googs,then we are cooking with gas.
I would like to see Fox with all live games(with FTA on 3 live ) to compensate for Monday nights.meaning more Sunday arvo games ,that would help ratings and crowds.Monday nights for crowds drags averages down big time.

I don't know what the final figure will be for either code, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a massive increase and $1.5-1.6 sounds about right. But there has been a drop in ratings, especially for AFL this year. Looking at Wookies figures it is around 10% this year, although I'm not sure if that is compared to the same time last year or not. Some of that may have gone to digital but it's pretty mad expecting a 50% increase in rights values when ratings are going backwards.

The one thing NRL has got is the ability to add an extra game per round, AFL is maxed out in that department. It would be good to have a sunday night game.

taipan

Referee
That's what I'm looking at Sunday night 6pm,rather than Monday night.

Still believe the Fox ratings for a Sunday night game would not drop by much,.but sure as hell the crowds would be better,especially for suburban grounds.

An extra Brisbane side,would reduce the Friday night monotony of the Broncs,a bit of variety.
The two extra NRL expansion teams would assist also in lifting the NRL crowd averages,which TBH are bleeding average.

Cletus

First Grade
Your not wrong about the crowds:eek:. I think Brisbane and Perth would be the logical choices. I imagine the ratings in Perth would be decent, at least for novelty value to begin with. Sunday nights would rate well I imagine, although they might be looking at 7pm rather than 6 because of the Network News.

insert.pause

First Grade
I don't understand how the NRL are in rights negotiations while apparently not knowing what they are selling, pending the outcome of richos review. Either they are asking networks how they would value new sides & reduced rounds etc and then incorporating that into the review outcome or the review is largely based around other things like the draft while expansion has been largely decided upon already. Richo has also been reported as working on the Rights deal so perhaps it is a case of incorporating the two, I am just a little cynical after the salary cap review that came up with very little and hope richos review isn't just for show with none of the substantive changes we have been waiting for. This deal can't be all about the bottom line, it has to also fix up some structural issues with the competition and I hope they aren't blinded by big numbers and forget about the big reforms needed.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I don't understand how the NRL are in rights negotiations while apparently not knowing what they are selling, pending the outcome of richos review. Either they are asking networks how they would value new sides & reduced rounds etc and then incorporating that into the review outcome or the review is largely based around other things like the draft while expansion has been largely decided upon already. Richo has also been reported as working on the Rights deal so perhaps it is a case of incorporating the two, I am just a little cynical after the salary cap review that came up with very little and hope richos review isn't just for show with none of the substantive changes we have been waiting for. This deal can't be all about the bottom line, it has to also fix up some structural issues with the competition and I hope they aren't blinded by big numbers and forget about the big reforms needed.

If you go back in this thread I made the same point when it became known they were negotiating a year early to get the jump on AFL.

The game will only stagnate with it's current structure. That may please legacy organisations like Nine and News Ltd. but if we a want to grow with the likes of Google et al substantive changes are needed. Much hinges on Richardson at this time, and how bold he is prepared to be. I think he should be prepared for disappointment and ready ourselves for weekly Thursday Night Football and the like.

You are probably correct that these are preliminary briefings and there is much to play out yet. It won't stop the likes of Ritchie making their wild speculations though, just like during the last round of negotiations.

taipan

Referee
FWIW.Anyone with half a brain in the NRL who is negotiating and enticing bids ,would surely be looking at various scenarios.And this is regardless of whether Richo has finalised his research.
If they haven't worked along those lines ,they need right royal shafting.
9 has made it abundantly clear ,an extra Brisbane side would add $100m over 5 years to the TV deal.

ie Perth and Bananabender 2 expansion teams as a possibility.
Taking Monday nights out and utilising Sunday nights 6pm Fox ,no interfering with FTA News.
Leaving Monday night and having an extra Sunday night game with expansion.
Live Pay for all games plus 3 FTA live.
SOO separately or as a combined package.
Cannot see SOO on a standalone weekend,it would diminish the value of the TV rights big time.

The configurations and scheduling is endless and bear in mind no F&L rights to hogtie.

9 is desperate to retain else they will be overtaken further by 7,and their ad share is already dropping.
10 is life threateningly desperate and Fox to get the code.
7 can pick and choose,they will end up with fumbleball no doubt,and could just sh*t stir ,so the rest pay overs.Grabbing SOO would really stuff nein.

insert.pause

First Grade
If you go back in this thread I made the same point when it became known they were negotiating a year early to get the jump on AFL.

The game will only stagnate with it's current structure. That may please legacy organisations like Nine and News Ltd. but if we a want to grow with the likes of Google et al substantive changes are needed. Much hinges on Richardson at this time, and how bold he is prepared to be. I think he should be prepared for disappointment and ready ourselves for weekly Thursday Night Football and the like.

You are probably correct that these are preliminary briefings and there is much to play out yet. It won't stop the likes of Ritchie making their wild speculations though, just like during the last round of negotiations.

it's a point I have also made earlier when rumours were surfacing about gyngell trying to tie up the rights early, I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt for now but the competition needs a big shake up from scheduling to pathways to expansion and a big TV deal should only compliment that, not supersede it.

I don't mind the idea of Thursday nights so long as they replace the delayed friday game and replace the monday night game for that week. I think the NRL should package timeslots as franchises and sell them off, 26 x Friday Night Football , 12 x Thursday Night Football, 12 x Monday Night Football, 26 x Sunday afternoon football, Saturday Night Football on FTA etc and then have the networks bid for packages. Half a season of thursday night football can give a FTA network enough of a taste to want to compliment it with rep football or origin or Nines. The NRL have so many more products to sell than the AFL, the AFL only get one Kerry Packer deal, we are now back on level pegging and I don't see them being able to match us.

Tigers1986

Juniors
As long as Fox get all games live each weekend plus finals I really don't care about the FTA channels coverage. Too much stake in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.