What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...-to-restaging-board-elections-20150627-ghz5x3

NRL rights to go digital

The future is digital and the NRL won't be left behind. We revealed last week that the governing body is in discussions with Facebook, but other popular social platforms have also been approached as part of the broadcast rights negotiations.

"You would be foolish if you weren't thinking about digital rights, for any entertainment product, whether it be a newspaper or a TV broadcaster, and we aren't being foolish," NRL chief executive Dave Smith said.

"We're not being faddish on any of these things, but what we know is that families watching at home are watching it on second and third screens. If they're not at home, they are out doing other things and watching it on second or third screens.

"Telephones are not telephones anymore, they are data engines and we recognise that. We are talking to lots of partners about the future and we will continue to do that because in 10 years time the way a fan consumes rugby league – and all the things around rugby league – it won't be the way they do it today."

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...l-in-next-broadcast-deal-20150629-gi0g72.html

TV eyeballs v bums on seats: the dilemma facing the NRL in next broadcast deal

Date
June 29, 2015 - 4:24PM

Brad Walter
Sports Reporter

The NRL's biggest drawing clubs are leading a push for the code to regain control of scheduling from broadcasters in a bid to stem a 7 per cent decline in crowds so far this season.

South Sydney and Canterbury officials had been hoping for a crowd of 50,000 for their round 24 grand final rematch at ANZ Stadium if the match was played on a Sunday afternoon but now anticipate about half that number attending as Nine wants to televise it on a Thursday or Friday night.

Brisbane officials are also disappointed about the likelihood of hosting St George Illawarra on the previous Thursday night, rather than a Friday night or Sunday afternoon when more families are able to attend the game.

Midway through the current $1 billion broadcast deal with Nine and Fox Sports, there is clear evidence that the interests of the television networks conflict with those of the clubs.

Ratings are up, particularly for free-to-air matches on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons in Sydney, which have increased by 21 per cent with the introduction of live 4pm coverage this season.

However, attendances are down by an average of 7 per cent and more for some of the NRL's marquee games.

As a result, the clubs are unified in their belief that one of the most important issues for the NRL when negotiating the next broadcast rights deal is the control of fixtures as Nine and Fox Sports now effectively decide the draw.

Under the terms of the current deal, Nine chooses 52 matches across the season, of which the NRL guarantees to deliver 48 into the time slots the free-to-air broadcaster chooses. This season, 43 of those matches are scheduled for Thursday or Friday nights.

Fox Sports then selects 52 games for its Saturday night and Monday night time slots.

The NRL is due to reveal the schedule for the last six premiership rounds on Tuesday, which will include Thursday night matches for the final four rounds.

Fairfax Media understands that scheduling a Thursday night match every second week has been discussed as part of the next television deal, beginning in 2018.

With the emergence of Netflix, Stan and other television and movie streaming services, free-to-air networks are going to rely on live sport and news to drive their advertising revenue and will want games on more nights to attract viewers.

However, crowd figures demonstrate that fans will not attend matches in the same numbers on a weeknight, and the clubs are suffering.

To develop loyal members, clubs need to attract them to a game and then try to offer an experience that will encourage them to return so they want more matches in family friendly time slots such as Sunday afternoon.

Souths chief executive John Lee said the scheduling of matches was vital to the health of the game.

"The people with responsibility for the nutrition of the game need to work out if they want lots of sugar hits through broadcast or whether they want the good building blocks of carbohydrates and protein by getting people going to games and becoming members," Lee said.

"At the moment, our protein levels are down 7 per cent and our sugar levels are up, but is that healthy in the medium to long term?

"It's about a balance but the balance went too far one way, and I think there is serious agreement within club land that we would strongly support the code getting back in its control and command on what days particular games are played and at what time."

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle said the club had been able to attract 40,523 fans to the Good Friday match against Souths and 27,291 for the Queens Birthday public holiday match against St George Illawarra because they were both afternoon matches.

"If that Dragons match had been on the Monday night it probably would have drawn 12,000, so they are probably two really good examples of making a sensible decision around placement of games that get everyone – the fans, players and broadcasters – a great outcome, and the tills keep ringing," Castle said.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's probably more about the NRL getting a balance of choice and being allowed to schedule the real blockbusters and bog crowd draws in the most fan friendly spots. Probably only talking about less than 20% of the fixtures. Brings me back to the NRL hosting a Sunday blockbuster every week at anz on a Sunday afternoon. Throw the doors open to all members and create a must do event every Sunday, they can dictate which fixture that is and clubs involved well compensated. Target 40k every week at that game.

insert.pause

First Grade
It's probably more about the NRL getting a balance of choice and being allowed to schedule the real blockbusters and bog crowd draws in the most fan friendly spots. Probably only talking about less than 20% of the fixtures. Brings me back to the NRL hosting a Sunday blockbuster every week at anz on a Sunday afternoon. Throw the doors open to all members and create a must do event every Sunday, they can dictate which fixture that is and clubs involved well compensated. Target 40k every week at that game.

The NRL tried to do that this year with Souths v easts, Souths v Wests, dragons v Bulldogs, none have even cracked 30k, the next deal should wrestle back control from broadcasters but let's not overstate it's importance as if it's the sole reason for poor crowds, it's just one of many excuses.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Poor crowds aren't due to the timeslots or fixture list. It's down to the day out being way too expensive, concessions being way too pricey ($6 for a bottle of water???) and the standard of officiating is downright terrible. Why bother spending your hard-earned and giving up a day out at the footy to see your team be reamed by inept calls from officials who haven't the slightest clue on how to be consistent, whilst spending over $100 for yourself on entry, food, drink and travel to the grounds.

Poor crowds aren't due to the timeslots or fixture list. It's down to the day out being way too expensive, concessions being way too pricey ($6 for a bottle of water???) and the standard of officiating is downright terrible. Why bother spending your hard-earned and giving up a day out at the footy to see your team be reamed by inept calls from officials who haven't the slightest clue on how to be consistent, whilst spending over $100 for yourself on entry, food, drink and travel to the grounds.

Sorry Tigers, but I get sick of comments like this. Name me one "event" you can attend that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for a beer and a pie? It's all the same, and has been that way ever since I started watching the footy.

You are right in that poor crowd aren't down to timeslots of fixture lists, but they're also not due to prices either. Its just that far too many people just couldn't be stuffed getting out there in the cold of winter to support their team, when its easier to stay home and watch the box. Hey, I fall into that category myself from time to time, so I'm not casting stones, I'm just willing to admit that its a reality, and I seriously don't think that if you cut the cost of entry, food and booze by say 50% that you'd get too many more people through the door.

cleary89

Coach
$24 for a movie ticket.

$16 to play putt put golf.

$35 if you actually want to have a round of 18.

Having the footy on tv live all the time has made everyone lazy.

That said, have been going down and watching the local a grade. Canteen didn't sell beers and they said to go across the road to the bottle o and buy some. Cheap day out, decent footy. 500 or so people watching.

Timbo

Staff member
I don't know, there is some tradeoff to be had. I read an article a year or so ago saying that attendances at Major League Baseball in the states over summer had gone up due the balancing act between the price of a day out at the stadium versus taking a family of four to the movies having tipped back into baseballs favour.

killbill

Juniors
I don't know, there is some tradeoff to be had. I read an article a year or so ago saying that attendances at Major League Baseball in the states over summer had gone up due the balancing act between the price of a day out at the stadium versus taking a family of four to the movies having tipped back into baseballs favour.

Yes its a cheap day out if you get the nose bleeds - has a lot to do with winning as the Astros are here also we have the Skeeters here which you can see for 5-12 bucks and has kids play area hill etc

I would say NBA and NFL just too expensive for the average Joe

TimmyB

Juniors
I think one of the big problems is Rugby league such a good sport to watch on TV. You miss out on very little in terms of action if you watch at home, whereas soccer and AFL there's a lot of action the cameras don't pick up - or so I understand.

Johnny88

Juniors
Paul Kent said on NRL360 Tuesday night that the new tv deal will have Thursday night football all season long and the NRL will control the draw and decide who plays on what day not the networks.
Not sure how Kenty would know anything but Thursday footy all year round that's interesting. NRL Thursday to Monday.

joshreading

Staff member
I think they should seriously consider moving games on awkward time slots such as Mondays and Thursday not only to country areas but some of the areas DESPERATE for a game.

For instance, if you took four games to PNG you would be gauranteed sell outs at any time. Sure, the ticket prices might not be high but the PNG Government would likely stump up some money. The PNG Hunters recently sold out the new Stadium for the Pacific Games in Moresbey (nearly 16 thousand I believe with thousands locked out - higher than any NRL game that round)

If you also considered taking monday games to Mackay etc you would probably get fair to good crowds.

I reckon thursdays should be played in areas like Darwin, Adelaide, Hobart and Christchurch and on mondays have it in the Bush

undertaker

Coach
Paul Kent said on NRL360 Tuesday night that the new tv deal will have Thursday night football all season long and the NRL will control the draw and decide who plays on what day not the networks.
Not sure how Kenty would know anything but Thursday footy all year round that's interesting. NRL Thursday to Monday.

Thursday night football all season long? 5 day rounds might be taking things too far IMO.

I wouldn't mind Thursday night football if Monday night was scrapped, and the footy round ended on Sunday (like what it was pre-2007).

undertaker

Coach
I reckon thursdays should be played in areas like Darwin, Adelaide, Hobart and Christchurch and on mondays have it in the Bush

I remember the Storm took a pre-season trial match against the Broncos to Hobart in 2012 and got 11752, more than what an actual AFL match between Nth Melbourne and GWS got in Hobart (11127).

Tasmania is definitely a missed opportunity. If the Storm played a match at either Bellerive Oval/Blundstone Arena early in the season (March) when the weather is still good, with proper promotion and buildup I think they could easily get a 15-16k sell-out.

But I agree, if Thursday night fixtures are going to be permanent, this is the perfect opportunity to take:

- Thursday night games on the road to metropolitan areas which don't have NRL teams (i.e. the cities. Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Hobart, NZ etc.)
- Monday night fixtures to regional areas in NSW and QLD.

And Monday night needs to be pushed back to 7:30pm. 7pm kickoff is way too early on a weeknight, and 8:10pm kickoff (which Ch9 had for Thursday night matches) is too late for kids. 7:30pm-ish strikes the right balance.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
With many of the Sunday games starting at the winter friendly time of 4.00 pm? Yeah, that has had 0 impact eh :crazy:

It wasn't winter when Souths played the roosters in front of only 27k at ANZ.

And what's the excuse for all the poor crowds for the 2pm Sunday game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts