What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigers1986

Juniors
If they want larger crowds it's rather simple. Copy the AFL system. They have free entry for kids on Sunday games. Imagine that, not having to pay for your kids and their mates, just yourself, and you get a day at the footy for say $30. That'd boost the crowds.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Paul Kent said on NRL360 Tuesday night that the new tv deal will have Thursday night football all season long and the NRL will control the draw and decide who plays on what day not the networks.
Not sure how Kenty would know anything but Thursday footy all year round that's interesting. NRL Thursday to Monday.

If Thursday games are the only way to ditch Monday games, then im totally in favour. At least for the Thursday game, there is a build up to first match of the weeks; mondays are when everyone is getting sick of the round.

But if its Monday AND Thursday, then that is utterly f*cked.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If Thursday games are the only way to ditch Monday games, then im totally in favour. At least for the Thursday game, there is a build up to first match of the weeks; mondays are when everyone is getting sick of the round.

But if its Monday AND Thursday, then that is utterly f*cked.

Why not just go the next step and have it 6 or 7 nights a week like the nhl and nba regular season.:sarcasm:

I only eant to see thursday football half a dozen times at most and the same for monday night. To even consider stretching the round across 5 days for the whole season would wear thin very quickly. Maybe have on of the prime time slots thursday, sunday or monday nights each round with it split approx. evenly over the season. My other thought is that the nrl does not play enough games on a saturday. I would be playing 4 games on that day. Easy enough to schedule if west voast gets in as it gives much more timezone flexibility.

Oh and kent knows bugger all as usual presenting guesses as facts

If they went for Thursday - Monday scheduling for each round can you imagine the headache it would cause to try and fit in State of Origin matches? Some teams would take a real bath during this period more so than now as it would create a logistical nightmare.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also trying to sort the fixtures so clubs didn't have 4 day turn around if they play on a Sunday. Only way this would make any sense is if there was a massive trade off ie full fixture scheduling by nrl or a massive amount of $'s for it. If they bring in Thursday and mon night every week the nrl's crowd avg is in danger if dropping sub 14k.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...k=013958ddc52ef1770e4256e63217ed15-1436141504

NRL ready for kickoff

The NRL sports rights might not go to a tender process if Nine, Fox Sports, Ten or any other party can meet its objectives.

In confidential meetings, the NRL has indicated it wants to regain control of their fixtures and get rid of the dual, simultaneous Friday games that occur at the moment.

It wants more live games, which could be simulcast on different networks.

If the money is right, the NRL has indicated they are primed and ready to do a deal without going to tender.

But process is there if the value cannot be met.

It’s possible for Seven to get a game, and they’re not out of the process yet, but it’s unlikely.

Ten, Nine and Fox Sports are the frontrunners. The irony is, Nine has strong, independent directors and conservative hedge-fund owners who might limit its ability to spend money.

Nine execs are required to show true value, which doesn’t often sit well with sports rights that are expensive but necessary for Nine to maintain a strong ratings position.

taipan

Referee
Ideal situation Fox and 10 get the majority,and either 9 or 7 the odd one or two live FTA.

10 with Hughes,Voss commentating the majors such as SOO.Yvonne Samson to 10.

No Rabs,Gould ,Vautin ,for SOO .No Tim Tam Gilbert.

Expansion 18 teams.
One friday night.
One thursday night early and late year
Saturday 3 games Super saturday.
Sunday 4 games.12pm(NZ) 2pm 4 pm 6pm.4 into any of those slots,and having the WA time zone to assist.

Settle for $1.5bn plus Sky NZ $90m(5 years).Plus any digital opportunities.

Fox and FTA to be live jointly .All games live Fox happy FTA not as happy but still getting value,fans happy who cannot make games.Sponsors get better exposure e.g. Canberra .
Crowds could be affected ,but more money available to assist infrastructure and provide deals for families attending.

Know this is a pipe dream,but the current scheduling is a debacle.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why is the current scheduling a debacle?

Ask the clubs and players and every other aspect of the game that requires funding what they prefer-$$$ or less money for Fri- Sun?

I know what the response will be..

BuffaloRules

Coach
Also- they actually had a FTA game this year at 12pm on FTA Sunday first time ever...before the Cricket World Cup Final..

Warriors v Broncos..

The ratings were woeful...

Good luck selling that slot to FTA..

taipan

Referee
Why is the current scheduling a debacle?

Ask the clubs and players and every other aspect of the game that requires funding what they prefer-$$$ or less money for Fri- Sun?

I know what the response will be..

Two Friday night games is a debacle.The late replay gets SFA TV ratings.The NRL acknowledges that night and two games is a problem.

The clubs are the ones complaining about Monday nights.The crowds are indicative as to why.
In fact with no Monday nights the clubs may in fact get more members on board,and bring more families to the games.

Why would they get less money with a Thursday night FTA ,all Fox on live ,and more live on sunday 4pm?And the much vaunted SOO crowds and TV ratings compared to the last TV deal.Especially now with the likes of Google maybe involved.

Yes they(NRL) probably wouldn't get $2bn,but IMO they sure as hell would crack min $1.5bn

taipan

Referee
Also- they actually had a FTA game this year at 12pm on FTA Sunday first time ever...before the Cricket World Cup Final..

Warriors v Broncos..

The ratings were woeful...

Good luck selling that slot to FTA..

OK lets cut to the chase out with 12pm NZ time based on your rationalisation.
16 teams :Thursday,Friday Saturday 3 Sunday 3 (2/4/6pm)
18 teams: thursday,friday,saturday 3 ,Sunday 4 ( 2pm 2 @ 4pm 1 @ 6pm.
Now if you have a Perth team involved you have another time zone to consider.

Having a Thursday night(FTA) and an extra team would make up for Monday night(Fox).

Ideal situation Fox and 10 get the majority,and either 9 or 7 the odd one or two live FTA.

Personally I don't see how that is "ideal" in relation to Channel 10 and Fox sports at all. The code only just got out from under the thumb of New Ltd yet you want us to get back into bed with them, which is what would happen as 10 are effectively under New Ltd's control.

Add in Channel 10's finances are still very poor we do not need a repeat of 1991 when they defaulted on their contract which is how the FTA rights wound up at Nine in the first place in 1992.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I really liked Channel 7's coverage of the last world cup.

I know it's unlikely but I'd like to see them get a regular game or even State of Origin just to see what they could do with it.

10 with Hughes,Voss commentating the majors such as SOO.Yvonne Samson to 10.

No Rabs,Gould ,Vautin ,for SOO .No Tim Tam Gilbert.

Expansion 18 teams.
One friday night.
One thursday night early and late year
Saturday 3 games Super saturday.
Sunday 4 games.12pm(NZ) 2pm 4 pm 6pm.4 into any of those slots,and having the WA time zone to assist.

Settle for $1.5bn plus Sky NZ $90m(5 years).Plus any digital opportunities.

Fox and FTA to be live jointly .All games live Fox happy FTA not as happy but still getting value,fans happy who cannot make games.Sponsors get better exposure e.g. Canberra .
Crowds could be affected ,but more money available to assist infrastructure and provide deals for families attending.

Know this is a pipe dream,but the current scheduling is a debacle.

I'd prefer sticking with Rabs and Ray than have this muppet commentate on 10. And that's saying something. You obviously haven't heard him on his radio program.

Haffa

Getting 9 to show football in HD would be a great start.

The fact Origin games still aren't shown in HD is the biggest blight on the game.

Getting 9 to show football in HD would be a great start.

The fact Origin games still aren't shown in HD is the biggest blight on the game.

Whilst they are only shown on a FTA network's "main" channel it won't change as legislation requires that the "main" channels be broadcast in Standard Definition. Sad, but true.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i notice 9 have been advertising some Soccer game will be shown on 9, GEM and Go

why can't these f**kers do that for RL?

wankers

taipan

Referee
Personally I don't see how that is "ideal" in relation to Channel 10 and Fox sports at all. The code only just got out from under the thumb of New Ltd yet you want us to get back into bed with them, which is what would happen as 10 are effectively under New Ltd's control.

Add in Channel 10's finances are still very poor we do not need a repeat of 1991 when they defaulted on their contract which is how the FTA rights wound up at Nine in the first place in 1992.

If the NRL as they have suggested want complete control of scheduling of the comp,and they get it,then News Ltd and ch10 have no option but to comply.
Remembering full well the F&L rights deal in place under the 9 and News Ltd prior contract ,which hamstrung the code.And in which they took their pick of the scheduling.

News Ltd IMO would not let 10 go under nor would the individuals behind it .And considering finances ch9 are still reliant on financial institutions.All is not rosy in FTA TV land.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
I'd prefer sticking with Rabs and Ray than have this muppet commentate on 10. And that's saying something. You obviously haven't heard him on his radio program.

I lasted 5 minutes listening to Talk'n Sport,wouldn't p*ss on that show if it were on fire.I heard him when he was doing the Tv in NZ,he went OK.On radio with the group around him , agree he is ordinary .

The thing is with Rabs ,he reminisces about irrelevant things of the past and the horses WTF,whilst a game or attack is in motion.He needs to keep up with the action.
Ray!!! Seriously he calls the game like a horse race or auction on TV.Cannot put up with the crap.

Both past their use by dates.Rabs was good in the past.He lets Gould influence the call or argue with him too much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.