What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

applesauce

Bench
FOX have the most cash, the NRL have played this beautifully making them desperate. They got out of CH9 great FTA coverage, with a huge price tag attached, now the subscription hungry provider can have all games live and an exclusive game (expansion) if they are willing to pay for it.

If they only offer 4 games a week everyone will drop them, especially now NRL will put the best games on FTA.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
FOX have the most cash, the NRL have played this beautifully making them desperate. They got out of CH9 great FTA coverage, with a huge price tag attached, now the subscription hungry provider can have all games live and an exclusive game (expansion) if they are willing to pay for it.

If they only offer 4 games a week everyone will drop them, especially now NRL will put the best games on FTA.

:D Yep. Happy times ahead.

Shorty

Staff member

Yeah they'd be thinking carefully about this decision, sport is all fox has what with netflix now etc.

There's a difference between VOD and live streaming though. Jump in probably allows them more control over advertising

I've found anything on their "Jump In" platform has ads built into it which it won't allow you to skip.

As to games in high definition? The NRL can't force Nine to do it. There is Federal legislation which stipulates that FTA networks "main" channel has to broadcast in standard definition. That requirement, and an apparent unwilling ness to fragment their audience by simulcasting it on GEM, means we are unlikely to see HD games on Nine. I'll keep banging this drum, if change is wanted, lobby your MP to get the broadcasting legislation changed.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade

I'm assuming match quality will be Thursday (1st) and Friday (2nd) since they are the biggest nights for TV viewing. Nine won't want a dud game on Saturday evening either.

Foxtel has lost or lost exclusivity on their highest rating timeslots (Saturday/Monday nights) plus an losing another exclusive game. The loss of the Monday game also hurts the lead in for Matty Johns. They are in a rough spot because they need League more than ever, yet they can't put on a brave face and walk away as the NRL will just jump into bed with an online streaming company.

For this to make sense for them there needs to be a 9th game they get a Sunday evening slot along with simulcasting the rest of the games in HD.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
nothing about new teams? i think this deal was done very prematurely. if there were 2 more teams added say 2nd brisbane and perth, then there'd be another bargaining chip to drive up the price even more.

nein want to show live into brisbane every week. 2 teams gives them the opportunity to do it twice

Kiwi

First Grade
BOOM!!!

@NRL: As part of the agreement, the #NRL will regain control of the season schedule – and deliver a better deal for the fans.
This will backfire. The more shit games that are played on free to air the less people will watch and we will get less next time around. Had my first sunday off ( apart from taking my daughter to Broncos v tigers ) all year, was looking forward to sunday footy, saw who was playing and cleaned the garage instead.

People on here whinge about poor quality games yet want them on free to air?

Yea you would think that whatever $ we lose off the Nine deal, FOX will cover to secure simulcast. They have to really, subscriptions will dive otherwise.

No we won't lose any money from Ch9 if Foxtel simulcast the premiership proper, it's only if 'certain games' are simulcast does the money from 9 drop. 'Certain games' most definitely refers to SOO and possibly the GF.

applesauce

Bench
nothing about new teams? i think this deal was done very prematurely. if there were 2 more teams added say 2nd brisbane and perth, then there'd be another bargaining chip to drive up the price even more.

nein want to show live into brisbane every week. 2 teams gives them the opportunity to do it twice

That will now come from FOX, they have deeper pockets than 9 anyway.

They are going to be desperate for new content and will be paying for expansion and simulcasting fees now to keep/drive subscribers.

Don't stress this has been played masterfully.

The following is from the NRL's website -

New free-to-air television agreement
Mon 10 Aug, 2015, 8:37am

Rugby League fans will be able to watch four live matches each week on free to air television from 2018 as part of a new broadcast rights agreement reached with the Nine Network today.

NRL CEO Dave Smith said Channel 9 has secured the rights to screen matches on Thursday, Friday and Saturday during prime time and on Sunday at 4 pm.

The deal, the biggest in Australian free to air television history, is worth up to $925 million and will take effect from 2018.

Mr Smith said the number of live games shown on free to air television would increase from two at present to four.

“So there will be more live and free Rugby League on television – and that is what the fans want,” Mr Smith said.

Mr Smith said the agreement would also help secure the long term financial future of the game.

“And we still have simulcast rights, pay tv, New Zealand and international television rights to be negotiated.

“So the future of the game is in great shape.”

The CEO of Nine Entertainment Co, David Gyngell said Rugby League was part of Nine’s DNA.

“This is a transformational outcome for supporters, Rugby League and Nine,” he said.

“It will enable views to see the best of the NRL, live and free, four days a week – anywhere and on any device.”

Mr Smith said that, as part of the agreement, the NRL would regain control of the season schedule – and deliver a better deal for the fans.
“We will be able to schedule the best games when fans want to see them – and ensure all clubs receive the coverage they deserve on free to air television,” he said.

Other highlights of the agreement include:

* The NRL Telstra Premiership will be played over 25 weeks - instead of 26

* A new State of Origin schedule with the second match in each series being played on a Sunday night as part of a stand alone weekend of representative football which will also feature Pacific Nation Tests

* International Rugby League will be given a new priority and will be played in a dedicated window after the NRL Premiership season.

Mr Smith said the changes would mean less disruption to the Telstra Premiership with only one split round each year.

“In other words, we are preserving Origin as a marquee event of the year while minimising disruption to the Premiership,” he said.

“This will not only improve player welfare but it will be fairer for the clubs and fans.”

Mr Smith said that, while the initial focus had been on free to air rights, the NRL had already held extensive discussions with a number of operators involved in pay television and streaming rights.

“The digital media market is changing rapidly and it is our view that new and exciting opportunities will develop with Fox Sports and other providers,” he said.

“By 2018, the digital world will be very different and we want to be in the best possible position to take advantage of any changes.

“So negotiations with the pay tv and digital providers will continue and, again, our focus will be on ensuring the most widespread coverage on whatever platform fans choose to watch rugby league.”

Edwahu

Bench
This will backfire. The more shit games that are played on free to air the less people will watch and we will get less next time around. Had my first sunday off ( apart from taking my daughter to Broncos v tigers ) all year, was looking forward to sunday footy, saw who was playing and cleaned the garage instead.

There are heaps of rubbish teams on FTA all the time. The broncos included until this year. Meanwhile plenty of great games and entertaining teams miss out on FTA due to the Nines scheduling.

Anyway, I am sure the NRL has it's own KPIs around ratings and will schedule accordingly. At least with the new deal there may be less of a advantage afforded to certain clubs.

Edwahu

Bench
No we won't lose any money from Ch9 if Foxtel simulcast the premiership proper, it's only if 'certain games' are simulcast does the money from 9 drop. 'Certain games' most definitely refers to SOO and possibly the GF.

Source? I think it's not really clear what the clause means.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Donkeys fans already worried about their free ride coming to an end :roll:

Red Bear

Referee
I think this has pretty good. They've certainly improved the origin period (because now the round either side of origin two will be as normal, which is good). I assume it's only one friday night game?

4 games a week is excellent for those without foxtel. FTA is huge and a massive advantage League and AFL have over both Soccer and Rugby.

I'm not sure about Thursday nights but if replacing monday night I can live with it.

docbrown

Coach
All live & no clashing timeslots

F2A: Thursday Night, Friday Night, Saturday Night, Sunday Afternoon

Didn't the negotiations stall?
Wasn't Sunday Night Origin just a pipe dream?
Wasn't the deal for $1.7 billion even though they're still in negotiations?
Wasn't there only supposed to be 3 F2A matches?
Didn't the networks lose interest in Saturday Night on F2A?
Wasn't expansion never discussed - even though Gyngell subsequently came out and put a $ figure on it?
Weren't people saying the NRL would never get control of scheduling back?
And that the NRL would never be able to reduce the season?

:lol:

Saturday Night was a weakness for 9. This was a block out bid. And like I said before, the network that was flexible with Sunday Origin was always going to have a leg up.

Re: subscription/simulcasting rights, the NRL may make a deal this week, or it might be in two years time. They may wait until there's more competitors in the market.

My understanding is that 9's right are for the free games only - for example they may stream their 4 "free" games to boost Stan. But the other 5 exclusive games + subscription simulcast rights for the 4 free games could end up on any number of competitors to Fox.

The other benefit is this kicks out the legs of some of the competitive tension for the AFL rights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts