What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Didn't the negotiations stall?
Wasn't Sunday Night Origin just a pipe dream?
Wasn't the deal for $1.7 billion even though they're still in negotiations?
Wasn't there only supposed to be 3 F2A matches?
Didn't the networks lose interest in Saturday Night on F2A?
Wasn't expansion never discussed - even though Gyngell subsequently came out and put a $ figure on it?
Weren't people saying the NRL would never get control of scheduling back?
And that the NRL would never be able to reduce the season?

:lol:

Saturday Night was a weakness for 9. This was a block out bid. And like I said before, the network that was flexible with Sunday Origin was always going to have a leg up.

Re: subscription/simulcasting rights, the NRL may make a deal this week, or it might be in two years time. They may wait until there's more competitors in the market.

My understanding is that 9's right are for the free games only - for example they may stream their 4 "free" games to boost Stan. But the other 5 exclusive games + subscription simulcast rights for the 4 free games could end up on any number of competitors to Fox.

The other benefit is this kicks out the legs of some of the competitive tension for the AFL rights.

Yep. Netflix is already over a million subscribers and growing. I think FOX is around 2.5? Securing the footy from 2018 would see FOX subs dive and push Netflix to number one.

Kiwi

First Grade
Donkeys fans already worried about their free ride coming to an end :roll:

As much as I like watching my team play, I would much rather see great games on free to air no matter who is playing. There we Broncos games on free to air this year that should not have been, v Tigers for example.

BuffaloRules

Coach
the projected figures were in the paper,

Nine $600m
Fox $800m
Telstra $120m
NZ $150m

Total $1.67b

Telstra is light imo, digital should be the largest increase, unless online rights remain with foxtel, but if that's the case then foxtel is light.

I told you beetroot cheeks was full of BS with his $600 Million

docbrown

Coach
Don't necessarily expect the other rights to be done so quickly. It might be this week, it might be two years. The NRL are wanting competitors to Fox.

As for scrapping Monday Night footy, dropping the second Friday game, 4 games on F2A, Sunday Night Origin, reducing the season & split rounds, Saturday Night on F2A, Thursday Night on F2A, International End Of Season Window, NRL regaining scheduling control, Expansion Game Clause, End of Year Anzac Test.............

Who's ya daddy? :lol:

Seriously though. I dislike 9 but overall it's good for the game.

Last edited:

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
As much as I like watching my team play, I would much rather see great games on free to air no matter who is playing. There we Broncos games on free to air this year that should not have been, v Tigers for example.

Well give them your magic crystal ball that predicts which games will be good 12 months ahead of time. Unless you're advocating going back to the horrible floating schedule with games picked 6 weeks ahead.

The big rivalry games and premiership rematches will still get the prime slots. But having the scheduling back in the games hands means we can give teams like the Raiders and Warriors their share of the FTA market.

carcharias

Immortal
haven't read all of this but isn't Phil Gould retiring soon?
Thought I read something about him pulling out of all his footy commitments .

DiegoNT

First Grade
haven't read all of this but isn't Phil Gould retiring soon?
Thought I read something about him pulling out of all his footy commitments .

And its highly unlikely ray Warren will be there in 2018. As much as I like ray warren and still think he should be the voice of the big games, he has really lost it over the last couple of years and hopefully 9 will have some fresh blood coming through

Diesel

Referee
And its highly unlikely ray Warren will be there in 2018. As much as I like ray warren and still think he should be the voice of the big games, he has really lost it over the last couple of years and hopefully 9 will have some fresh blood coming through

I would'nt be surprised if the NRL has told 9 to pick up its act and cut the shitvlike they've been doing to a lot of print media

Sleep

Juniors
I like the removal of Monday night games, don't like the addition of Thursday games. One on a Friday is good. Should be more games across timeslots on a Sunday.

I really hope the NRL overhauls the live app. If they could get it up to scratch to the point where the quality is watchable and not 640 by 480 on a 50 inch screen it would be a great investment. I'd imagine that Fox will do everything they can not to have that happen because their subscription numbers would drop like crazy.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Wow
This deal is borderline astounding. .
Schedule control returns to the NRL
One Origin on a Sunday on a stand alone weekend
Id say foxtel will get all games simulcast too
& they might get a 9th game if we expand .. so retaining 5 exclusive telecasts

2 billion .. here we come baby:cool:

Red Bear

Referee
So if it's still eight games I imagine the breakdown will be
Thurs 7pm (Probably a big get for Ch. 9, running it into the footy show)
Friday 7:30 pm
Saturday 3 pm, 5:30, 7:30
Sunday 2 pm, 4 pm.

And an extra gme in there. Two 7:30 pm games (one live on nein, one live on fox) on Saturdays? Or a sunday evening timeslot (which I imagine Fox would love). Or another sunday day game?

Sleep

Juniors
So if it's still eight games I imagine the breakdown will be
Thurs 7pm (Probably a big get for Ch. 9, running it into the footy show)
Friday 7:30 pm
Saturday 3 pm, 5:30, 7:30
Sunday 2 pm, 4 pm.

And an extra gme in there. Two 7:30 pm games (one live on nein, one live on fox) on Saturdays? Or a sunday evening timeslot (which I imagine Fox would love). Or another sunday day game?

I'd bet the Monday night game becomes Sunday night, not an earlier Saturday game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts