What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalzod

Immortal
Free to air networks are dying due to lack of good programming management at nine know that the only thing that rates now is sport.

POPEYE

Coach
Dave Smith appears to have caused a panic attack which after all is what the League public wants, can't see ol' mate Gyngell voluntarily offering that much money for 4 games. Seems having someone who's not a member of the Old Boys Club running the game is paying off, remains to be seen if the mighty Fox come out laughing or not . . . my guess is they will

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
It will be Sunday evening IMO. But where does the ninth game go if expansion happens? There will have to be games played at the same time as early Saturday/Sunday would be a ratings graveyard.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The bit about the figure may reduce if Fox gets simulcast worries me...

How much would it decrease... ?

Who chooses how much ?

Gyngell might say yeah no worries reduce it by $500M and we have a deal /...

applesauce

Bench
Nine Entertainment has signed the biggest sports deal in free-to-air television history to retain its broadcast rights to the National Rugby League in an agreement worth $185 million annually, double the amount it is currently paying.

The move means the NRL has struck first in this year's big battle for broadcast rights with rival code the AFL, which is also currently in the market for a new deal with the networks.
Paying $185 million annually for rugby league could rule Nine out of a big bid for the AFL, meaning the AFL may not gain the competitive tension needed to gain a huge increase on its current $250 million per year deal with Seven West Media, Foxtel and Telstra.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/bus...on-rights-20150809-giva5s.html#ixzz3iMwoSWQS|

Haffa

Who chooses how much ?

They'd have to negotiate that with whoever wants to simulcast. They're the ones benefiting.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Who chooses how much ?

The NRL can just tell fox that if they want simulcast they have to pony up whatever nine takes off their end.
Theres some confusion as to whether they are talking about all games or just finals/origin anyway so we will just have to see how it plays out.

docbrown

Coach

Who chooses how much ?

Each time slot would have a specific $ figure attached to it. With simulcasting & 5 exclusive games (after expansion) the decrease would be offset by the increase in subscription rights.

bottle

Coach
How is it worth that much?
The game's dying because blokes can't punch on and concuss people.
I read it on a forum.
Poor bastards, they've bought a white elephant.

Nerd

Bench
I read it on a forum.

Nice trolling. The game looks to be in rude health financially. What this does do is remove competitive tension for the AFL rights as you wouldn't think Nein would have much coin left to throw at the AFL. I'm sure 7 are pretty happy with this deal and it's timing.

docbrown

Coach
Correct. 9 will likely still bid but it won't be a bet-the-farm bid as 9 did with the NRL.

So it effectively leaves AFL with 10 & 7. I can tell you, 10 didn't like being little brother to 7 previously.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Thus far I read no expansion til 2022.........

Not sure 9 will stream well....the current digital pass is not usable....

Very disappointed, more years of crap broadcasts...adverts...Gould and rabs talking about the latest peice of shyte reality fta crap.....

Good for existing clubs.....but more games I wont bother watching.....

f**k fta tv........it is dying....might subscribe to skynz...

BuffaloRules

Coach
I read it on a forum.

Don't they know that its a game played by violent wife beating psychopaths and only supported by a minority of western suburbs bogans?

I know this because Joe Aston of the Australian told me...

Nine's shares will plummet now...

applesauce

Bench
Thus far I read no expansion til 2022.........

Not sure 9 will stream well....the current digital pass is not usable....

Very disappointed, more years of crap broadcasts...adverts...Gould and rabs talking about the latest peice of shyte reality fta crap.....

Good for existing clubs.....but more games I wont bother watching.....

f**k fta tv........it is dying....might subscribe to skynz...

Expansion provisions are made in the new contract (but FOX will be the ones paying for it now if they want a 9th game).

They are only streaming their games through online means (i.e. JumpIn or Stan). It is not the mobile component of rights (i.e. currently DigitalPass run through Telstra).

some11

Referee
A step in the right direction as far as Origin being moved to stand-alone weekends, eventually it will go from being just Game 2 to every game and teams effectively having three byes and a further reduced regular season.

HD seems to be more of a gov regulations thing at this point, otherwise every channel would have it by now.

Rosetta

Juniors
Don't necessarily expect the other rights to be done so quickly. It might be this week, it might be two years. The NRL are wanting competitors to Fox.

As for scrapping Monday Night footy, dropping the second Friday game, 4 games on F2A, Sunday Night Origin, reducing the season & split rounds, Saturday Night on F2A, Thursday Night on F2A, International End Of Season Window, NRL regaining scheduling control, Expansion Game Clause, End of Year Anzac Test.............

Who's ya daddy? :lol:

Seriously though. I dislike 9 but overall it's good for the game.

Feel exactly the same, we aren't going to get a better FTA deal than this. Complete control of the schedule and 4 straight days of live coverage is as good as it gets.

Nine REALLY should freshen up their coverage though, the old boys club has been stale for half a decade. 1 quality, professional sideline eye with 2 in the box for each match like the NFL please, we do not need 5-6 commentators each match telling us stories about their farm animals and hot chips etc.

P.S. Fox would be wise to strike ASAP doc.

Kiwi

First Grade
Well give them your magic crystal ball that predicts which games will be good 12 months ahead of time. Unless you're advocating going back to the horrible floating schedule with games picked 6 weeks ahead.

The big rivalry games and premiership rematches will still get the prime slots. But having the scheduling back in the games hands means we can give teams like the Raiders and Warriors their share of the FTA market.

Luckily the tripe that was eels v panthers wasn't on free to air this week, you know the traditional/big rivalry sort of game.

I would much rather see the scheduling done in 10 week blocks. That gives the NRL 6 weeks of each block to announce the scheduling, giving fans 4 weeks notice of when their teams home games are for those weeks.

Contrary to what many believe not every Broncos fan believes their team should be on every Friday night free to air. I am all for fairness, but I don't thinking putting crap games on tv just to be fair will work very well at all. I'm certainly not going to watch bottom of the table games just because it's the NRL. For example there is no way the Wests Tigers, Gold Coast Titans or Newcastle Knights should appear on free to air this year as the Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and Sydney Roosters. Even if a fair world of scheduling that's not very smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts