What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
P.S. Fox would be wise to strike ASAP doc.

They should and they might. But the NRL can afford to wait almost two years. This is all about putting pressure on Fox. The longer Fox takes, the more competitors there will be.

Yes, Fox could keep their AFL subscribers but they know they would be severely damaged by losing the NRL rights. Williams' bluff is long gone.

TV is changing. Adapt or die.

some11

Referee
Everyone should get a fair shake during the first half of the season, after that if you're playing like a bunch of busted arseholes you forfeit the right to be on FTA.

This will backfire. The more shit games that are played on free to air the less people will watch and we will get less next time around. Had my first sunday off ( apart from taking my daughter to Broncos v tigers ) all year, was looking forward to sunday footy, saw who was playing and cleaned the garage instead.

People on here whinge about poor quality games yet want them on free to air?

Yet who picked the games we saw on free to air TV this weekend? The current TV broadcasters. Channel 9 only pick certain teams and will pick them just about every time regardless of their current form or where they are on the ladder. Getting the TV networks out of scheduling is a boon as Channel 9 have horrendous ideas of what games are "the best". I mean even when they pick for rounds 21-26 look at some of the great games they picked -

• Round 21 West Tigers v Melbourne (I mean loast v 4th at the time, on paper a great choice eh?);
  • Round 22 Manly v Souths (when this game was picked, Manly's form was poor);
  • Round 24 Parramatta v Manly (gee what a great pick this game eh, even worse if you look at where they were on the ladder when this schedule was selected yet we have a blockbuster in Roosters v Broncos on a Saturday night instead).
Yet you want Channel 9 to retain the rights to determine scheduling? :crazy:

Kiwi

First Grade
Yet who picked the games we saw on free to air TV this weekend? The current TV broadcasters. Channel 9 only pick certain teams and will pick them just about every time regardless of their current form or where they are on the ladder. Getting the TV networks out of scheduling is a boon as Channel 9 have horrendous ideas of what games are "the best". I mean even when they pick for rounds 21-26 look at some of the great games they picked -

• Round 21 West Tigers v Melbourne (I mean loast v 4th at the time, on paper a great choice eh?);
  • Round 22 Manly v Souths (when this game was picked, Manly's form was poor);
  • Round 24 Parramatta v Manly (gee what a great pick this game eh, even worse if you look at where they were on the ladder when this schedule was selected yet we have a blockbuster in Roosters v Broncos on a Saturday night instead).
Yet you want Channel 9 to retain the rights to determine scheduling? :crazy:

I didn't say I wanted channel 9 to keep scheduling rights. I still think they will influence it, with the NRL having final say.

What I don't think will work is an even share of free to air amongst the teams. Everyone should get some time on free to air, but not equal share. If the NRL goes down the even share route it will weaken their negotiating position in the next deal because the ratings for crap games will be crap.

Edwahu

Bench
Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Didn't the negotiations stall?
Wasn't Sunday Night Origin just a pipe dream?
Wasn't the deal for $1.7 billion even though they're still in negotiations?
Wasn't there only supposed to be 3 F2A matches?
Didn't the networks lose interest in Saturday Night on F2A?
Wasn't expansion never discussed - even though Gyngell subsequently came out and put a $ figure on it?
Weren't people saying the NRL would never get control of scheduling back?
And that the NRL would never be able to reduce the season?

:lol:

Saturday Night was a weakness for 9. This was a block out bid. And like I said before, the network that was flexible with Sunday Origin was always going to have a leg up.

Re: subscription/simulcasting rights, the NRL may make a deal this week, or it might be in two years time. They may wait until there's more competitors in the market.

My understanding is that 9's right are for the free games only - for example they may stream their 4 "free" games to boost Stan. But the other 5 exclusive games + subscription simulcast rights for the 4 free games could end up on any number of competitors to Fox.

The other benefit is this kicks out the legs of some of the competitive tension for the AFL rights.

Let's just settle on 4 other games. I know you're much more knowledgeable in this area, but I don't think expansion is a certainty. I know things change, but Dave Smith was quoted as saying "The deal assumes 16 teams. There is scope to introduce a 17th team within this new deal"

Last edited:
You are leaping to conclusions to be so definite that "certain" means only Origin and semis and not regular season games.

Of course I am making a conclusion just like everyone who is assuming it means foxtel won't be simulcasting regular games unless the amount ch9 pays lowers. But my assumption is based off what it logical, what has been written, and that NRL negotiators seem fairly shrewd.

The most logical explanation of using the word 'certain games' and the NRL saying 'simulcast deals have yet to be reached' most likely means CH9 wanted to protect the BIG games from simulcast.

That is fine, but Foxtel needs, and NRL wants, every premiership game simulcasted.

sethman75

Juniors
I'm glad the game is healthy but i'm not happy that in 2022 we will still be watching 480p poor resolution with ad breaks thrown in our face at every opportunity.

People slate the crap out of foxtel but at leas they provide an excellent package when it comes to sport.

Sleep

Juniors
I'm glad the game is healthy but i'm not happy that in 2022 we will still be watching 480p poor resolution with ad breaks thrown in our face at every opportunity.

People slate the crap out of foxtel but at leas they provide an excellent package when it comes to sport.

The Fox coverage is light years better than the FTA. No one denies that. But in comparison to other sports, it still pales.

Kiwi

First Grade

Fox have to you are paying for it, much in the same way free to air channels have to throw ads into your face seeing as that's what pay the bills for them.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I didn't say I wanted channel 9 to keep scheduling rights. I still think they will influence it, with the NRL having final say.

What I don't think will work is an even share of free to air amongst the teams. Everyone should get some time on free to air, but not equal share. If the NRL goes down the even share route it will weaken their negotiating position in the next deal because the ratings for crap games will be crap.

We are doubling the amount of live FTA games. Half the comp will be live on FTA every weekend, so no matter what there will be stinkers every now and then. But you couldn't guarantee against that even if you scheduled 6 weeks ahead like you are saying.

Last Week

Bench
With almost a billion dollars already guaranteed, the NRL could dead set sign a mere deal with Netflix and just ignore Foxtel/Fox Sports, and still maintain what we're currently getting now and we'd survive just fine.

It'd be a hit but what it really does is put Foxtel/Fox Sports over barrel. They will be paying through the nose for what ever they get.

Canard

Immortal
We are doubling the amount of live FTA games. Half the comp will be live on FTA every weekend, so no matter what there will be stinkers every now and then. But you couldn't guarantee against that even if you scheduled 6 weeks ahead like you are saying.

For example, 6 weeks ago everyone would have though Manly V Cronulla in Rd 26 (hypothetical matchup) would be a dud.

It might be the match of the round, with both sides vying for finals spots and in great form.

There should be a fair share of scheduling, to ensure all teams get the maximum exposure for sponsors etc.

How can you judge how they will rate, when lots of teams ala Cowboys, Raiders etc. have barely had any FTA in the last decade or so.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
And its highly unlikely ray Warren will be there in 2018. As much as I like ray warren and still think he should be the voice of the big games, he has really lost it over the last couple of years and hopefully 9 will have some fresh blood coming through

Rabs and Gould will go on for as long as humanly possible, how else can they fund their gambling habits?

some11

Referee
The problem with streaming is average connection speeds in Australia are woeful, if you want to stream in HD you need either need to be lucky enough to live close to an exchange or have fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.