What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canard

Immortal
AFL is in HD I believe. Cricket definitely is. So is the Australia Open (Tennis). Though in the past Nine have said it's not possible for it to be HD at certain grounds (Townsville being one).

Generally the AFL isn't nor is the Tennis, unless shown on the digital channels how could it be? The main channels are all still SD??

Im certain by 2018 this will change though.

With the NRL shown on GEM in Melbourne, its noticeable the difference in quality to WIN in NQ. Is it filmed in HD though? or is the WIN thing re-broadcast via a Commodore 64??

magpie4ever

First Grade
Lots of f**king people do. As this thread and others show.

It's about enhancing the product for the consumer.

There must be a lot of Bill Collins (movie critic) out there. "this is great movie (read: game) but only if it is ultra HD.

Most of the geese on here are more worried about pixies than the actual game contents.

Excuse me for thinking the game is actually the content not the bloody pixal count. Some posters really need to get a real life.:p

magpie4ever

First Grade
Generally the AFL isn't nor is the Tennis, unless shown on the digital channels how could it be? The main channels are all still SD??

Im certain by 2018 this will change though.

With the NRL shown on GEM in Melbourne, its noticeable the difference in quality to WIN in NQ. Is it filmed in HD though? or is the WIN thing re-broadcast via a Commodore 64??

Period, Canny, period. It never ends for you.;-)

Broadcasting in HD isn't really up to the networks is it? Its a government legislation thing I thought

Correct. The problem is the legislative requirement that FTA networks "main" channel be broadcast in Standard Definition.

We are in 2015...why shouldn't the product be in HD?

At least have the option of both. Put it on GEM and on 9. One in SD and one in HD.

The FTA networks won't do it. They consider it "fragmenting" their ratings figures so it would drive down their TV advertising rate. I very much doubt any network will do it for that very reason.

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I'm glad the game is healthy but i'm not happy that in 2022 we will still be watching 480p poor resolution with ad breaks thrown in our face at every opportunity.

Pretty sure it's 576i not 480p but your point is spot on.

Our country is so backwards that 576p is technically classed as HD even though no one uses it

elyod138

Bench
There must be a lot of Bill Collins (movie critic) out there. "this is great movie (read: game) but only if it is ultra HD.

Most of the geese on here are more worried about pixies than the actual game contents.

Excuse me for thinking the game is actually the content not the bloody pixal count. Some posters really need to get a real life.:p

You look like an old fool. It makes a massive difference, if you can't notice the obvious benefits then you simply have poor eye sight. It's a more significant difference than VHS vs DVD.

Australia is lagging behind compared to the rest of the developed world in this regard.

docbrown

Coach
The FTA networks won't do it. They consider it "fragmenting" their ratings figures so it would drive down their TV advertising rate. I very much doubt any network will do it for that very reason.

Aye. The naysayers should also remember by the time this deal comes into effect the government's broadcast requirements may have well changed.

lockyno1

Post Whore
See my answer above. I very much doubt 9 or any other FTA network will do it for the reasons outlined.

Well they wonder why fans are giving the game the middle finger. Come on it is 2015. Lets go through the other channels. 7 shows sport on 7mate in HD, 10 shows sport on ONE in HD. SBS show sport (Tour De France, etc) in HD.

Wake up 9, High Definition is an absolute minimum nowadays.

Edwahu

Bench
I'm sure the NRL could've given up a relatively minimal amount of cash to compensate Nine for any lost advertising revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Going to be really interesting to see what Fox do. At first I was a bit despondent, but not at all surprised sadly, there is still no plan for expansion announced. But for fox to hold on to its subscribers now there are 4 FTA games there is only a couple of things they can do 1. simulcast every game live 2. Have a dedicated RL channel 3. Support expansion to still hold the majority of games exclusively.

I think a Brisbane2 channel and a perth team makes sense for fox as they are markets they can drive subscriptions on RL due to FTA will probably focus on one Brisbane team a week and Perth gets crappy covg from Nine so most fans stump up for Fox. Perth also offers some good live timeslots when at home ie 6pm East coast is a 4pm daytime KO in Perth on a sunday.

well here's fingers crossed anyway lol.

Edwahu

Bench
Any idea what the grant will go to? Will there be enough after the players put their hands out to have some of the chook raffle clubs stand on their own two feet?

Well they wonder why fans are giving the game the middle finger. Come on it is 2015. Lets go through the other channels. 7 shows sport on 7mate in HD, 10 shows sport on ONE in HD. SBS show sport (Tour De France, etc) in HD.

Wake up 9, High Definition is an absolute minimum nowadays.

If you want change mate, lobby your local member of parliament. It is the only way it will change mate as Channel 9 won't change.

As to the other Channels you mention, Channel 7 do not show games on both Channel 7 and 7 mate in the same cities at the same time. The sports on One HD are many not covered by the anti-siphoning legislation. SBS? It is a government broadcaster. They don't worry about ratings as they can only have very limited advertising.

I want it in HD too, but complaining to Channel 9 about it or the NRL will not get the change to happen. I am merely pointing out what 9's response will be. They won't broadcast it on 2 channels in the same city, as it lowers their ratings. Lower ratings means lower advertising rates they can charge. That is their commercial reality whether we like it or not.

Want it in HD? Get on to the Federal Government to change the broadcasting requirements for the main channel from being restricted to SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts