What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I'm glad the game is healthy but i'm not happy that in 2022 we will still be watching 480p poor resolution with ad breaks thrown in our face at every opportunity.

People slate the crap out of foxtel but at leas they provide an excellent package when it comes to sport.

If people are watching or not watching the game because of the number of pixels on the TV screen than this game has got real problems.

FFS, worried about the pixels:crazy:

docbrown

Coach
Let's just settle on 4 other games. I know you're much more knowledgeable in this area, but I don't think expansion is a certainty. I know things change, but Dave Smith was quoted as saying "The deal assumes 16 teams. There is scope to introduce a 17th team within this new deal"

Well I have said it's not a given but unlike recent reports suggested it was discussed repeatedly. It's just one of those things that are a potentiality, more likely if they need that extra game to win subscription suitors over.

You have to remember - with any expansion they still need to keep the 16 existing teams happy. The way he's worded it is simply for political reasons rather than an outright yes or no.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Lol, spot the octogenarian.

Get out outside and smell the roses, dudey. You are living in pixieland.:lol:

Wah, wah, wah, my pixel count is too low. JFC and there are people sleeping with no food in their belly while these f**kwits demand the right to breath air.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
With regular Thursday night football confirmed, hopefully this all but surely spells the end of Monday night football on Fox. It's going to really suck for the fans to have 5-day rounds, with two of those matches occurring at night during the working week. Crowds are and were always going to be difficult to attract at 7pm on the first weekday of the week (given some of the venues are away from the CBD), and the compensation the NRL offers home teams is nothing compared to the amount they lose in potential revenue had the match been on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Thursday night is much preferable to Monday night, providing the game doesn't kickoff after 8pm (like it did during the first few rounds of 2013). 7:45pm kickoff at the latest (leading into The Footy Show at approx. 9:30pm). Whether or not Thursday night becomes the marquee match of the round in place of Friday night remains to be seen, but hopefully with the NRL wrestling power of scheduling back into their hands (like the AFL does) means less Friday nights where the Broncos feature.

A big bonus having FTA on Saturday night, breaking Fox's Super Saturday monopoly. About time, the NRL has given the AFL a free kick in that timeslot for so many years. As Beau Ryan would say in Bunji's voice, "Sucked in, Fux Spurts!"

Regarding what happens to Fox' Monday night timeslot, most likely it will be shifted to Sunday evening (in which case, it would be preferable if kickoff was approx. 6pm, finishing at approx. 7:50pm) in preparation for the possibility of a Perth NRL side being admitted to the comp sometime down the track. Anything later than that on a Sunday will be tough on the fans.

Last edited:

Aus_Dog

Juniors
I think if Foxtel are willing to pay more Foran extra game we might see Monday night football stay as it is a ratings winner for them. I can see Foxtel pushing for the extra game and then end up keeping Monday's game

Danish

Referee
Broadcasting in HD isn't really up to the networks is it? Its a government legislation thing I thought

Edwahu

Bench
Lets go back to AM radio coverage only. The dulcet tones of Frank Hyde will paint a far more vivid picture than a 4K TV ever can.

Sleep

Juniors
Broadcasting in HD isn't really up to the networks is it? Its a government legislation thing I thought

AFL is in HD I believe. Cricket definitely is. So is the Australia Open (Tennis). Though in the past Nine have said it's not possible for it to be HD at certain grounds (Townsville being one).

Edwahu

Bench
I think the government forces the primary channel to be in SD, but Nine could simulcast the other game in HD on GEM if it wanted to. They don't want to lose viewers on the primary channel though.

Timbo

Staff member
AFL is in HD I believe. Cricket definitely is. So is the Australia Open (Tennis). Though in the past Nine have said it's not possible for it to be HD at certain grounds (Townsville being one).

Home cricket definitely is not. Nine treat it with the same contempt they show league.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Lots of f**king people do. As this thread and others show.

It's about enhancing the product for the consumer.

:lol:
As this thread shows ? :lol:

3 people?
Again for all the slow witted whingers
Do you seriously choose not to watch something because its not in HD ?
Because if you do

Youre a tosser:lol:

ek999

First Grade
Home cricket definitely is not. Nine treat it with the same contempt they show league.

It's nothing to do with 9's contempt. It is to do with how the anti-siphoning laws work. They have to be shown on the main channel and the main channel has to be broadcast in SD.

I think if Foxtel are willing to pay more Foran extra game we might see Monday night football stay as it is a ratings winner for them. I can see Foxtel pushing for the extra game and then end up keeping Monday's game

I dont really think foxtel are in any position to bargain too much against what the NRL wants. Without the NRL, foxtel's profits crash.

As has been said, the NRL have about 2 years up their sleeve, if Foxtel dont come to the party then the NRL could just reject them and see what Foxtel's competitors such as netflix may put on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts