What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPEYE

Coach
Anyone who thinks Fox, who is far and away the best broadcaster of sport, is not in some conspiratory arrangement with Smith is delusional. Murdoch's mob would have had to had prior knowledge of all proceedings if Dave is as good a businessman as he thinks he is

All 9 got was 4 games, Murdoch will probably get 8 and surely 4 for possibly less money. The best change for supporters is that most won't have to 30 minute pre-record the 2nd Friday game now that Thursday replaces it. Any serious League follower that only has free to air is a pretender . . . probably a smoker and heavy drinker that whinges about the cost

BuffaloRules

Coach
Anyone who thinks Fox, who is far and away the best broadcaster of sport, is not in some conspiratory arrangement with Smith is delusional. Murdoch's mob would have had to had prior knowledge of all proceedings if Dave is as good a businessman as he thinks he is

All 9 got was 4 games, Murdoch will probably get 8 and surely 4 for possibly less money. The best change for supporters is that most won't have to 30 minute pre-record the 2nd Friday game now that Thursday replaces it. Any serious League follower that only has free to air is a pretender . . . probably a smoker and heavy drinker that whinges about the cost

There are 4 live games on FTA now... To me that is a pretty big win in respect of growing national audiences beyond "serious League followers"...

Lets see what Fox end up paying.. I 'm not buying the "possibly less money" angle..

If they don't do the deal and broadcast NRL then I reckon they are screwed as the drop off in NSW and QLD will be huge

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
FTA needs to be shown into WA and Vic, and I'm not convinced any of that will change with the same Ch9 men pushing the buttons in the editing boxes in Melbourne and Perth.

The thing that makes league even more valuable to Fox than then AFL is the FTA deal the AFL have. If I'm a Swanies supporter in Sydney I get to see most of their games on FTA, same goes for the Suns & Lions fans so there is no real incentive to get Fox. But non-Sydney NRL fans only get to see the same games as everyone else, so Foxis a must.

docbrown

Coach
Thanks doc

I was actually not so much concerned with time frames as opposed to confirming what was still for sale from my list in my original post.

Cheers

From my understanding the deal was only for 4 specific F2A NRL slots + 4 non-exclusive free digital for the same NRL matches + Finals + GF + State of Origin + 5 other special matches which may change but include All Stars, World Club Challenge etc + Digital for those other matches as well. I know they said Anzac would move but I'm not sure if that 1 match that is covered, I think it will be covered by a still to be negotiation separate International matches agreement when that schedule is finalised so that's up for grabs. Some of this may change in the final make up. Simulcast, subscription/pay, NZ, other subscription digital for all matches, international broadcast still up for grabs. Plus a potential expansion 9th game.

I would be surprised if a deal wasn't done this year, the longer it drags out the more nervous shareholders get, and some individuals will also be very desperate to make amends to the godfather rather quickly.

Agreed but I think David Smith flagged the possible extension and so have other analysts so they won't feel as much pressure about it. Negotiations are going on right now though.

I've just been trying to explain to others, doing this with 2 & a half years of breathing room is intentional, not a rushed deal.

Nine are paying to be exclusive FTA broadcaster, the NRL would take a big hit if they tried to sell the other four games to another FTA network. Streaming would be the NRLs only real alternative to fox, and if worst comes they can get away with it for a season and bleed foxsports dry in 6 months at a time when Netflix will be well and truly entrenched as alternative to Foxtel's drama packages.

That's the one I'm trying to get clarity on. Some have said it's exclusive as in there can be no other F2A competitors like you're saying. Others have said it's exclusive as in 9 own the rights to those 4 slots only (F2A & free digital) & if a 5th F2A game were to air it they'd have no recourse & that those 4 digital 9 games can also be resold in a digital subscription package. That's why some are talking potential for on-selling out of the existing 4 game package etc.

If the NRL have done the latter, bravo.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade

Got some bullshit and gold in this pops.
I refuse to have pay tv but the cost has f**k all to do with it.
We shouldn't jump the gun though. The nrl has scheduling back in its control but that also means they can include that in the fox deal. We may wind up with nothing but knights,eels and tigers standard games if fox obtains scheduling rights.
I will wait until the dust has fully settled before I praise this agreement

DiegoNT

First Grade
I'm not going to pretend that I know the ins and outs of the tv industry, but Foxtel is built on the back of its NRL coverage and if it only has 4 games ( sat afternoon, sat night, sunday arvo and Sunday night), while there's 4 live games at greater times for tv fans on fta then fox are signing their own death warrant.
It puts fox in the position to have to get all 8 games live, and maybe even put up the cash for expansion teams so they can get there precious mnf back.
So assuming fox digs deep for 8 games we'd have a situation where
- more money from nine for more live fta games ( great for everyone especially casual fans)
- more money from fox and all 8 games live ( great for us 'serious' fans with Foxtel)
- wrestled back control of the draw from the tv companies
- cleaned up the origin period ( still not perfect but a lot better than it is now)
- more fta games should see an increase in sponsorship for clubs, especially clubs like canberra
- more money for club grants
-better salaries for the players
-possibilities for expansion

I think the nrl has done quite well out of the deal

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyone know how much of nine deal is cash v free advertising value? Last one was $50mill advertising from memory.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I'm not going to pretend that I know the ins and outs of the tv industry, but Foxtel is built on the back of its NRL coverage and if it only has 4 games ( sat afternoon, sat night, sunday arvo and Sunday night), while there's 4 live games at greater times for tv fans on fta then fox are signing their own death warrant.
It puts fox in the position to have to get all 8 games live, and maybe even put up the cash for expansion teams so they can get there precious mnf back.
So assuming fox digs deep for 8 games we'd have a situation where
- more money from nine for more live fta games ( great for everyone especially casual fans)
- more money from fox and all 8 games live ( great for us 'serious' fans with Foxtel)
- wrestled back control of the draw from the tv companies
- cleaned up the origin period ( still not perfect but a lot better than it is now)
- more fta games should see an increase in sponsorship for clubs, especially clubs like canberra
- more money for club grants
-better salaries for the players
-possibilities for expansion

I think the nrl has done quite well out of the deal

One thing from the above is certain, while there are games on Thursdays, there won't be Monday Night Football

nrlnrl

First Grade
The thing that makes league even more valuable to Fox than then AFL is the FTA deal the AFL have. If I'm a Swanies supporter in Sydney I get to see most of their games on FTA, same goes for the Suns & Lions fans so there is no real incentive to get Fox. But non-Sydney NRL fans only get to see the same games as everyone else, so Foxis a must.

Yeah, I have mates who follow AFL that live in QLD. One is a Swans fan & the other supports Collingwood, so they need Fox Footy to see all their games.

Anyone who thinks the NRL will have complete control of the draw is kidding themselves. Broncos will have plenty of Thursday or Friday games, Roosters & other popular NSW teams like the Bulldogs & Dragons will have a lot on Channel 9 as well. ( depending on how strong teams like Manly & Parra are at the time as well ). For teams like the Titans, Warriors & Raiders nothing much will change. Also, when the big 3 retire, the Storm will drop down the importance for Channel 9 as well ( not that they're that high currently).

It will be ratings for Channel 9 that are the winners, not the fans.

There should be a system like NFL & EPL where the teams have quotas in the specific timeslots. Then the fans & clubs would be the winners & it would be fairer on all clubs by not allowing teams to dominate certain timeslots. With games still being spread over 4 days & minimum days between games for teams the flow on impacts on the remaining games as well, meaning the "other half" who aren't handpicked by Channel 9, ( Warriors, Raiders & Titans ) appear regularly in the leftover timeslots.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
One thing from the above is certain, while there are games on Thursdays, there won't be Monday Night Football

Mnf is scrapped for now, but if fox offers a shit load of money for 2 extra teams in new markets and to bring back mnf, then surely the nrl would at least listen to them right? Purely a hypothetical of cause

Mnf is scrapped for now, but if fox offers a shit load of money for 2 extra teams in new markets and to bring back mnf, then surely the nrl would at least listen to them right? Purely a hypothetical of cause

Not if Thursday night football stays. The main problem is the logistical problems you would create. You would either have to nightmare schedule so teams got sufficient turn around between games, which would make working out your draw harder, or you would have clubs with insufficient turn around time. With players making noises earlier in the year about preparation time, and clubs complaining about turn around time between games, the NRL would put themselves on a collision course with the clubs if it tried to bring back MNF.

gUt

Coach
Yeah, I have mates who follow AFL that live in QLD. One is a Swans fan & the other supports Collingwood, so they need Fox Footy to see all their games.

Anyone who thinks the NRL will have complete control of the draw is kidding themselves. Broncos will have plenty of Thursday or Friday games, Roosters & other popular NSW teams like the Bulldogs & Dragons will have a lot on Channel 9 as well. ( depending on how strong teams like Manly & Parra are at the time as well ). For teams like the Titans, Warriors & Raiders nothing much will change. Also, when the big 3 retire, the Storm will drop down the importance for Channel 9 as well ( not that they're that high currently).

It will be ratings for Channel 9 that are the winners, not the fans.

There should be a system like NFL & EPL where the teams have quotas in the specific timeslots. Then the fans & clubs would be the winners & it would be fairer on all clubs by not allowing teams to dominate certain timeslots. With games still being spread over 4 days & minimum days between games for teams the flow on impacts on the remaining games as well, meaning the "other half" who aren't handpicked by Channel 9, ( Warriors, Raiders & Titans ) appear regularly in the leftover timeslots.

Where do those ratings come from? :crazy:

Where do those ratings come from? :crazy:
Exactly

Half the comp will be on FTA each week .
So those teams who usually get very little FTA exposure will benefit .

Each deal we are going ahead in leaps & bounds ,& not just financially .
We have got rid of a huge weight off our back with news ltd .
Viewing is now far better .

Seriously have some of these whinging bitches forgotten how bad off we were under Gallop.

Dave Smith could say
We got 5 billion .
2 new clubs
Far higher salary cap .
Every game live on FTA .
Each viewer gets free beer supplied by a topless bikini model .
Blowjob by said model if your team wins .
& you would still have the same morons moaning,bitching & but but but butting

Status
Not open for further replies.