What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL have done well for themselves, but who cares how it compares.
Only NRL concern is if they get enough money to run things, which they will.

Lol, naive mate. Of course it matters, you think the afl is going to put all this money away for a rainy day? No they are going to use it to make their game the number one code in Australia. Pay the media for coverage, pay schools to play the game, put more money into their marketing, more money to clubs for fan engagement etc etc. you think fl gets a cushy ride in new and Qland now, just you wait and see over the next few years.

Me too, but I dont think the figure will be anywhere near hundreds of thousands.

This is just my opinion, and none of us have any data to support either argument really.

If fox did lose the rights, I would love for nothing more than to see them collapse.

But the NRL is their biggest program on a weekly basis for 8 months. Those who used to watch NRL won't suddenly watch AFL or something else on Foxtel. You have to take that into account as well ...

nrlnrl

First Grade
I heard what they all said. The AFL fans will lap it up. The drama queens will go to panic station. Others who know how to get on with the job -- such as the NRL's negotiation team -- will just do exactly that.

These kind of press conferences are a mutual masterbation exercise. What do you want him to say? Of course he is going to talk about how huge the AFL's dick is.

Exactly - last week the NRL had their time in the spotlight, today it was the AFL's turn. No need to panic or abuse people before the jigsaw puzzle has the final pieces in place.

Lol, naive mate. Of course it matters, you think the afl is going to put all this money away for a rainy day? No they are going to use it to make their game the number one code in Australia. Pay the media for coverage, pay schools to play the game, put more money into their marketing, more money to clubs for fan engagement etc etc. you think fl gets a cushy ride in new and Qland now, just you wait and see over the next few years.

But the NRL will have just as much if not more money than the AFL

AND the AFL have utterly failed in QLD

docbrown

Coach
Why didn't smith wait until afl was sorted. ?

Why poke a bear when they were deep in negotiations with afl ?

He could have waited till next month to do the deal with 9

Because News were trying to force them into a deal on terms they didn't like.

If you believe the likes of Rothfield it would've been around $1.7 billion total with less F2A coverage, no expansion and more News control. The NRL wasn't impressed.

Anyone who thinks Murdoch has gifted the AFL a few extra hundreds of millions for free is an idiot. He's not a charity worker.

The price the AFL received is pretty close to what they would have gotten regardless, even the AFL's head fumbler said so.

If the NRL had taken $1.7 billion on News' terms (as News would have liked) once the AFL was announced the Rothfield types of the world would also have also been the first to bag it out. Instead they're bagging out an unfinished deal. Same shit different shape.

The only difference with the AFL is their deal has been done in one lot. To get a fairer valuation the NRL are extending the negotiations. Judging the NRL on anything other than the components negotiated already smacks of a lack of understanding in the process and is simply there to grab a headline.

Eddie Lab

Juniors

will they sink another few hundred million into the 4 black holes? so far they haven't made much of an impression.

Just think all this racing to hang ourselves is over the top. either Fox come to the table with the money for expansion, simulcast and ect or they will miss out on it's top rating sports program.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
It does seem weird though that all the talk for afl was $2b over 6 years

Then Rupert got shits about nrl and threw in about 80m a year extra to help grow the game in nsw and qld

insert.pause

First Grade
Where are you getting these numbers from?
AFL $2.5b for 9 games over 6 years
NRL $925m for 4 games over 5 years

Do some simple maths and you will see you are being overly dramatic and are flat our wrong

no of games are insignificant, the codes are separated by ~ $10m a year under the current deals, it would stand to reason that both codes would again receive largely similar deals, yet the NRL is left with a shortfall of $233m a year compared to the AFL, I honestly cannot see how we get that out of the remaining properties, even if we do swallow our dignity and sign a deal with fox. There is no logical reason why the AFL should receive a dollar more than the NRL, but News Corp are obviously paying up for a reason, and while it may be motivated by spite, it will still be founded by a business model, which by Thomson's own admission involves growing AFL in NSW & QLD, where I suspect they will want new subscriber growth to replace NRL subscribers. I'm not suggesting they will succeed, these blow ins have no idea about the culture in these states and their opinion of the AFL, but it leaves us lagging behind the AFL in revenue yet again, backward step IF Smith doesn't have an ace up his sleeve, I hope I am wrong and he does and bleeds Fox dry. I'm just sceptical it will happen or if the NRL were even prepared for such a reaction by News Corp.

saint pebba

Coach

How many years has AFL spent trying to build their game in NSW/QLD???

The Lions won quite a few comps over a decade ago and where are they now? The Swans are one of the most successful teams of the last 10 years and still not making any substantial inroads into league.

The AFL can spend hundreds of millions a year if they wish but it won't guarantee them fans

elbusto

Coach
It does seem weird though that all the talk for afl was $2b over 6 years

Then Rupert got shits about nrl and threw in about 80m a year extra to help grow the game in nsw and qld

He has no choice. Afl ratings there are shite. He needs the game to grow there or he had flushed money down the drain.

no of games are insignificant, the codes are separated by ~ $10m a year under the current deals, it would stand to reason that both codes would again receive largely similar deals, yet the NRL is left with a shortfall of $233m a year compared to the AFL, I honestly cannot see how we get that out of the remaining properties, even if we do swallow our dignity and sign a deal with fox. There is no logical reason why the AFL should receive a dollar more than the NRL, but News Corp are obviously paying up for a reason, and while it may be motivated by spite, it will still be founded by a business model, which by Thomson's own admission involves growing AFL in NSW & QLD, where I suspect they will want new subscriber growth to replace NRL subscribers. I'm not suggesting they will succeed, these blow ins have no idea about the culture in these states and their opinion of the AFL, but it leaves us lagging behind the AFL in revenue yet again, backward step IF Smith doesn't have an ace up his sleeve, I hope I am wrong and he does and bleeds Fox dry. I'm just sceptical it will happen or if the NRL were even prepared for such a reaction by News Corp.

But we are are not lagging behind in funds.
Don't forget the AFL are spending a fortune to prop up the Suns and Giants ... and will continue to spend a fortune maintaining other teams don't go bankrupt.

You have to remember there are many AFL teams in deep dire financial trouble.

I'd really like to know if Smith is going to use some sort of leverage for the next round of negotiations with Fox. Some kind of two pronged approach to bargaining with them, on one hand you can use the fact that fox will be out of pocket if they reject the NRL's offer and, if or when they do reject the NRL's offer, smith can then throw his ace onto the table which would be some kind of massive offer from another player.

If smith did have this ace up his sleeve (netflix) they are keeping it very very quiet.

My concern is that none of these companies like netflix have ever had sporting rights so it is new territory for them. Have they ever expressed any interest in sport anywhere in the world? If not, then why would they bother with the NRL?

For the NRL to maximise what they are going to get we need that extra player to come to the forefront.

Mickyd39

Juniors
Wow that is a faking massive amount of money! Not really that surprised., afl have been manoeuvring this for two decades with proper expansion and major presence in every large capital city in the country. They clearly set out their strategic intent to be seen as "Australia's game" and fox have bought it hook, line and sinker.

After a short bask in the glow of what looked like a good fta deal, Smith and co are now massively under the spotlight to deliver both expansion and money that will allow us to keep pace with afl. If he fails we are going to see some challenges in the years ahead for the game.

With that size war chest you haven't seen anything yet in regards to the push the afl will now make Into nsw and Qland, supported by Foxtel who will be doing everything to convert sports fans into afl fans.

The AFL have been trying to get into NSWand QLD for over 30 years and haven't come close to taking over and the ratings prove that. If they couldn't achieve domination in 30 years what makes you think they'll do it in 6 years from 2017?

The AFL has been pumping millions into both these states for years for nothing and i hope they keep pumping their new found fortune into NSW and QLD and keep losing millions.

At the end of the day the simple fact is that no one in NSW or QLD give a shit about AFL and no amount of AFL media saturation will change that.

Last edited:
I'd really like to know if Smith is going to use some sort of leverage for the next round of negotiations with Fox. Some kind of two pronged approach to bargaining with them, on one hand you can use the fact that fox will be out of pocket if they reject the NRL's offer and, if or when they do reject the NRL's offer, smith can then throw his ace onto the table which would be some kind of massive offer from another player.

If smith did have this ace up his sleeve (netflix) they are keeping it very very quiet.

My concern is that none of these companies like netflix have ever had sporting rights so it is new territory for them. Have they ever expressed any interest in sport anywhere in the world? If not, then why would they bother with the NRL?

For the NRL to maximise what they are going to get we need that extra player to come to the forefront.

IMO, the instant Foxtel fear they may lose the NRL rights, sh*t may literally hit the fan.

It is by far the worse case scenario for Foxtel.

If they had to choose losing one between AFL and NRL it would have been AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.