What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

insert.pause

First Grade
I'd really like to know if Smith is going to use some sort of leverage for the next round of negotiations with Fox. Some kind of two pronged approach to bargaining with them, on one hand you can use the fact that fox will be out of pocket if they reject the NRL's offer and, if or when they do reject the NRL's offer, smith can then throw his ace onto the table which would be some kind of massive offer from another player.

If smith did have this ace up his sleeve (netflix) they are keeping it very very quiet.

My concern is that none of these companies like netflix have ever had sporting rights so it is new territory for them. Have they ever expressed any interest in sport anywhere in the world? If not, then why would they bother with the NRL?

For the NRL to maximise what they are going to get we need that extra player to come to the forefront.
Netflix aren't a player in sports rights, YouTube is, whether they would pay what the NRL would be asking is questionable, leaning toward unlikely.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I'd really like to know if Smith is going to use some sort of leverage for the next round of negotiations with Fox. Some kind of two pronged approach to bargaining with them, on one hand you can use the fact that fox will be out of pocket if they reject the NRL's offer and, if or when they do reject the NRL's offer, smith can then throw his ace onto the table which would be some kind of massive offer from another player.

If smith did have this ace up his sleeve (netflix) they are keeping it very very quiet.

My concern is that none of these companies like netflix have ever had sporting rights so it is new territory for them. Have they ever expressed any interest in sport anywhere in the world? If not, then why would they bother with the NRL?

For the NRL to maximise what they are going to get we need that extra player to come to the forefront.

Netflix arent a serious player in this space, so forget that for now..

NRL basically now has 4 games to sell .. and who are the bidders. ??

Seven - no (AFL)
Ten - will be 15% owned by Fox,
Fox -
ABC - NO $$
SBS - No $$
So basically you have no one to haggle against...

Why can't Channel 9 bid for all games?
Why can't Channel 9 develop a 24/7 rugby league FTA channel?

That would be awesome ... but what is stopping them

Who are we going to sell the other games to and receive anything close to 800m? Not only are news publicly backing our competition, making signing any deal with fox untenable, but they have declared they will also push it through papers. Today was basically the announcement of a News Corp-AFL joint venture.

:lol::lol:

Geez you hit the panic button quickly .

Get a grip .
You're worse than Helen Lovejoy

BunniesMan

Immortal
Something to keep in mind: an AFL game on TV lasts about an hour longer than an NRL game. That is much more time for ads. On a per minute basis the NRL will get more money even if the overall deal is much less.

The NRL could get 2.5 bill if they agreed to 3 hour telecasts, and all the ad breaks to fill it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But the NRL will have just as much if not more money than the AFL

AND the AFL have utterly failed in QLD

Hopefully.

Has it? Lions getting 20k crowds, pick up a Qland paper and it's got plenty of afl stories in it, and whilst I am always suspect of player stats they are hardly ignored as a sport. Two clubs, only one less than the nrl.

If NRL was as strong as all this in WA we'd be ecstatic!

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...D=108278&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=32581998

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Love to know how much print contra is in the afl deal.

AFL CEO was asked this question during the press conference and um and arrd before spluttering 200 million, to me he seemed unsure and didn't want to devalue the deal.

By the way he looked like he hadn't slept for ten days, seems like this has been rushed.

Also is it normal at these announcements for Rupert to be wheeled out or was he there to posture and send a message to the NRL?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee

Get a grip .

:lol:

Agree %100.

Fair dinkum people get a grip.

Our deal isn't finished by a long way, old rupert can say what he likes, the facts remain he still needs to pay for the highest rating weekly sport, and pay he will :D

Generalzod

Immortal
AFL broadcast deal: record $2.5 billion agreement between News Corp, Seven and Telstra

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nd-telstra-20150818-gj2648.html#ixzz3jA2bqEGy
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

ust a week after being blindsided by the NRL's broadcast agreement with Channel Nine, Rupert Murdoch – the man who started the Super League war to gain control of the code – hit back by telling a press conference to announce News Corp's deal with AFL: "We have always preferred Aussie rules".

Another humiliating kick in the crotch for the NRL.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
At least we have a few bullets left in our gun...

We need to have a expansion blue print on paper

2018 Brisbane 2
2020 Perth
so we can sell 9 games in 2023

Then

2025 Wellington
2027 Adelaide

Sell 10 games in 2028

isn't that evident of how News Corp are quite clearly bankrolling the AFL to kill league? There's no way in gods earth they will see a return from paying 266m annually for AFL, unless they convert rugby league supporters in nsw & qld.

Go lie down .
You're rambling with incoherent garbage .

Tell me how do they CONVERT RL supporters .
We have had derpball shoved down our throats for yrs ,with little to show .
But according to your f**ked up logic us RL fans will soon be watching AFL .

Get a grip .
You've totally lost the plot .

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many years has AFL spent trying to build their game in NSW/QLD???

The Lions won quite a few comps over a decade ago and where are they now? The Swans are one of the most successful teams of the last 10 years and still not making any substantial inroads into league.

The AFL can spend hundreds of millions a year if they wish but it won't guarantee them fans

33 years and in that time they have done a sht load better job than the NRL has in Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide!

BunniesMan

Immortal
At least we have a few bullets left in our gun...

We need to have a expansion blue print on paper

2018 Brisbane 2
2020 Perth
so we can sell 9 games in 2023

Then

2025 Wellington
2027 Adelaide

Sell 10 games in 2028
The networks have said they don't care about a 9th game. It would certainly not increase the value of the deal enough to make 1/18 of the pie more for existing clubs than the 1/16 they get now.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yeah, but it by no means spells the end of foxtel as people here seem to believe.

Foxtel doesnt need the NRL to survive, it would still be profitable without the NRL.

A lot of NRL fans do have foxtel because they watch other sports and other programs.

I think people are over estimating the impact the NRL would have to foxtel.

News Corp has enough money to play the childish game with the NRL, they are the ones with the upper hand, not the NRL.

I'm sure not having a high rating NRL games weekly would effect Foxtels advertising revenue which would add up quite a lot over a season.

Hopefully.

Has it? Lions getting 20k crowds, pick up a Qland paper and it's got plenty of afl stories in it, and whilst I am always suspect of player stats they are hardly ignored as a sport. Two clubs, only one less than the nrl.

If NRL was as strong as all this in WA we'd be ecstatic!

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...D=108278&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=32581998

Yes it has.
The Lions attendances have plummeted in the last few years, TV ratings are dire, and honestly no one in Brisbane talks about the Lions. Even ex-Victorians don't care about them.
There are not 'plenty' of AFL stories in the Courier Mail. There are a few, but not 'plenty. You have to go through pages and pages of RL and cricket and RU to get any info on AFL.

But you have raised an interesting point why NRL rights are way more valuable than AFL rights.

AFL have reached saturation. They can't expand anywhere without over-saturating the market. The Suns have effectively crippled the Lions. So there isn't much growth for the AFL

Now compare that to the NRL ....

insert.pause

First Grade

Get a grip .

We'll see, I really hope you're right, I don't think my concerns are alarmist, It's going to be a hell of a performance by Smith to get the additional 233m a year to draw even with the AFL deal and if no one else saw the size of this deal coming there's a good chance that the NRL didn't either, like it or not the AFL is the number we should meet, significantly short of that and I think they probably screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.