What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I remember someone asked phil gould on twitter if he thinks foxtel would drop nrl coverage. Phil's response was something along the lines ofd:shock: ' why would they be chasing big name commentating talent if they are are preparing to drop the nrl'.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
offer them 2 year deals... its a long freaking time...

im sitting here watching 1080p streamed tv over the net that never buffers and looks better than fox hd...

24 mnths ago, i wouldnt have believed it

gUt

Coach
Shows what idiots 9 were for punting Matty as well. His shows have more laughs - unforced and footy-related - in any given week than the footy show has had in 10 years.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Shows what idiots 9 were for punting Matty as well. His shows have more laughs - unforced and footy-related - in any given week than the footy show has had in 10 years.

Not just matty, didn't 9 have a chance at recruiting fletch and hindy? These guys are now the best league personalities on tv.

maccattack

Juniors
I for one don't want fox to get the rights.
Given the money from subscriptions will go directly towards helping the afl attack league heartlands.

undertaker

Coach
Not just matty, didn't 9 have a chance at recruiting fletch and hindy? These guys are now the best league personalities on tv.

Bryan Fletcher used to be on the post-Vossy Sunday Roast program, as well as on The Footy Show (predominantly hosting the Sportsbet Kick for Cash segment Joel Caine does) before he permanently signed with Fox Sports at the start of 2014 and joined Tallis and Hindmarsh on Matt Johns' show in the process..

I always knew Fletch had a future in television from the moment I first saw him on The Sunday Roast back in 2012 with this one-liner:

"I didn't know what theft was. Until I went to Souths."

:lol:

LOL@5(c)uff$ forever

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Roy makes some good points there. As a Union fan as well I've long said that if the ARU had had any brains back in 2005 they'd have accepted less money and just got Super Rugby on FTA back when FTA was interested. Having your game mostly on cable is a sure fire way to kill it and Rugby has proven that.

no , being a sport for private school toff wankers that is as boring as bat shit will kill it & it wouldn't matter what it was shown on ..

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
no , being a sport for private school toff wankers that is as boring as bat shit will kill it & it wouldn't matter what it was shown on ..

Rugby in Australia has big problems, club rugby barely gets a crowd, super Rugby does not get a mention in news sports stories only time it's prime time she its iAustralia Vs Nz or Poms?

RoosTah

Juniors

Actually that private school stuff shits me too. I went to a public school that played Union and the private school kids really do carry on like they own the game. Used to piss us all off massively and ensured we all watched League too.

As a game it is great though in my view - just about the contest for possession more than the power and speed of League. Funniest thing though is the private school toffs who call League fans "champions" as if they're dumb. I like to gently remind them that their old boys network has run union into the dirty while League is signing billion dollar deals.

Then of course is our contest with NZ - a place where Union is played by everyone. If we had less of a focus on private school kids I'd wager we'd have a national side with a harder edge.

VictoryFC

Bench
offer them 2 year deals... its a long freaking time...

im sitting here watching 1080p streamed tv over the net that never buffers and looks better than fox hd...

24 mnths ago, i wouldnt have believed it

Its actually embarrassing. Netflix, Stan, or nfl gamepass, running at 1080p with never as much as a hint of buffering. Youre right in that it looks better than HD on broadcast TV.

joshreading

Staff member
The NRL should seriously consider giving away a game or two to streaming groups like Netflix - atleast in overseas markets. The profile alone would be massive.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The NRL should seriously consider giving away a game or two to streaming groups like Netflix - atleast in overseas markets. The profile alone would be massive.

They tried with ESPN back in 1993ish, but Kerry packer had F&L rights and refused to let them have it (actually, one of first steps in the SL War).

That exposure would have been incredible, so i agree that today would have a similar benefit.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

BeIN Sports would make more sense for the non-NZ/UK rights.

A dedicated sports network that's already showing NRL in some places and seems to be buying up everything it can.

LJ99

Juniors
See the link below:
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/239113/Steve-Ballmer-Rejects-$60M-Annual-TV-Deal-To-Start-Streaming-Option

Even NBA teams are going to streaming and remember, this is only one teams local deal.

duylm

Juniors
Foxtel Risks Losing Top Shows In NRL Standoff

Foxtel would lose more than a third of its current top-rating shows if it does not acquire the future pay television rights to show National Rugby League games, official ratings figures show.

Meanwhile industry estimates suggest the cable and satellite television giant could put hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue at risk if it does not win the auction.

Foxtel's co-owner News Corp has launched a campaign to unseat NRL chairman Dave Smith after he moved to negotiate a free to air agreement instead of dealing with all rights, including pay televisions rights, held News Corp's Fox Sports.

After striking an exclusive $925 million five-year free-to-air deal with Nine Entertainment Co earlier this month, the NRL needs to sell pay television rights in an effort to increase its total take to $1.7-$1.8 billion.

Fox Sports had been keen to show all eight weekly NRL matches live, against the five it now has rights for, but may baulk at paying the NRL a large increase after Nine cut into its live rights with its Saturday match.

However, OzTAM ratings figures obtained by Fairfax Media reveal the importance of the code to Foxtel's ratings and therefore the pressure Foxtel, owned by News Corp and Telstra, is under to strike a deal with the NRL.

The statistics show that 3.5 of the top 10 shows on pay television on average were NRL games or programmes from week 10 to week 33 of the ratings season. In five of those weeks, half the top 10 shows were NRL-related.

NRL TOP RATER

And in 10 of those weeks, an NRL show or game won the number one ratings slot for subscription television.

The average proportion of NRL shows in Foxtel's top 10 is expected to be higher in the strongest NRL-states Sydney and Brisbane, where one industry estimate puts the number of subscribers taking Foxtel predominantly for the NRL as high as 600,000.

Based on that estimate Foxtel could put more than $350 million of its $3.1 billion annual revenue at risk based on the assumption that those users are paying at least $49 a month for the basic and sports Foxtel packages.

A spokesman for Foxtel said, in an email: "While many subscribers love our coverage of NRL, the truth is that over the past five years the number of NRL matches in the top 100 programs on the platform has dropped from 73 to 22, over the same period the AFL has increased from 8 to 53. In addition, the figures you have been fed significantly overstate the number of subscribers who primarily take Foxtel in order to watch the NRL."

As revealed by Fairfax Media on Tuesday, Foxtel faces potential competition for the rights from a well-funded rival with Qatari giant beIN Sports keen to explore a bid of its own.

After rival code the Australian Football League signed the largest broadcast rights deal in Australian sport history with News Corp, Seven West Media and Telstra, News Corp chairman Rupert Murdoch said: "I guess we will engage with the NRL in time." The three companies will pay $2.508 billion over six years.

Foxtel chief executive Richard Freudenstein has since stressed that the "NRL are very good partners" and said "we obviously want to keep working with them". Foxtel provides some of the funding for Fox Sports' current $110 million-a-year NRL contract.

Can anyone point to anywhere that might back up this statement? If anything like that was happening surely we would have heard it by now through the AFL spin machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts